Ulu Knives & Bear Claw Tongs

Pat in NC

Which of the following ports is the best place to buy ulu knives & bear claw tongs; Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point or Ketchikan?:confused:

Would hate to get to last couple of ports and not beable to find these items, they sound like wonderful gifts!

Once again, thank you so much for your help!:)

Pat.... Did you know that there is an Ulu Factory in Anchorage?

It was very interesting.

It seems like the knives and bear claws were around in all of the ports.

If you are going to Anchorage...get it all there...and ship it home ! :)

Pat.... Did you know that there is an Ulu Factory in Anchorage?

It was very interesting.

It seems like the knives and bear claws were around in all of the ports.

If you are going to Anchorage...get it all there...and ship it home ! :)

ps. something little that I purchased in one of the Alaska ports....that I just love....and it is very, very useful: a bear claw magnet for my refrigerator. made of wood. It will "clip" anything ! I love it. It was about $5.00 - $10.00....and would make a great, useful souvenir !

GL,

Do you know if the prices at the Ulu Factory are about the same as purchasing elsewhere? Also, I've heard that Fred Meyers is a great place to get souvenirs. Is that true?

They're not going to be more at the factory.More than likely cheaper.You will find handmade items elsewhere,more unique,more expensive.All depends on your tastes and budget.For good ole Alaska souvenirs, Walmart,Fred Meyer's any large chain.Some items I really like are picture albums with Alaska written on the outside.Canned/smoked salmon that I've seen ready to be addressed and sent.T-shirts,hats,Alaska jams,candy,soaps,books,video tapes,calenders,coffees,chocolates.....no shortage on neat things to purchase.

When you buy the Ulu knives...do you actually use them when you get them home? Guess I'm trying to find out if that a practical gift for someone who cooks. Thanks.

I've been checking out the Ulu knives, & I am getting one for myself and I am definatly planning on using it when I get home... I cook alot and it looks like it will be GREAT.

On both of these items you will find cheap and better models. Many are made in China or ? If made in Alaska, they will be so labeled. We paid more for bear claw salad grabbers to be stamped with made in Alaska. We bought ulu knives for everyone and I doubt whether any have been used. They are very sharp and could be used, especially if you have a seal to skin!

I would venture to say that most Alaskans do not own ULU's or bear claws.

I've seen some really nice one's made by real craftsmen that are very expensive but most of the one's sold to tourist are just cheap metal with a wooden handle.

Dave

we brought ulu knifes in Anchorage for ourselves and several other friends when in Alaska last year, we do use ours and love it, and so does my other family members, we purchase them at the ulu factory, they are very useful and very sharp

I've seen lots of fishermen using them to filet fish. Works great for chopping with a rocking motion,but can take a little to get used to.Very sharp and most come with a display stand.I've seen many different styles and designs made out of various marterials.Some are more suitable for smaller hands, some made with real antler ect.

Another suggestion for using them -- they work great as pizza cutters :D . We bought two, gave one to some friends, and kept the other for ourselves. I use it on a limited basis, but then, I don't cook much.

We've used the bear claw servers more than the ulu knife, but both of them are nice reminders of our cruise.

Archived