Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee with no car seat

lillotis

We decided not to bring car seats for our 3.5 year olds. So, what are our options for these islands. We like to spend day on and maybe walk around town for a little. Nothing too crazy with the three year olds.

We would also prefer to not do excursions that are crazy $$$, just want to do a nice beach for a few hours.

Advice for Labadee? Do we just get off boat and find spot on beach or is there somewhere special we go?

How about Jamaica- what nice beach can we visit for day and any nice little area to walk around?

And Cozumel, does ship let us off at a town?

Also, can you rent strollers on the RCL Oasis? Looks like big ship and I assume a stroller would be nice. Is it a necessity with three year olds?

Labadee is basically a beach day. Just walk off the ship and to the different areas. There are trolleys if you don't want to walk. I'm not even sure strollers are needed. There are nice beaches, a small waterpark--kids oriented, outside barbecue, some shops, etc.

Also, the kids club has an area where they will take care of the kids. You might have to sign up for this ahead of time; not sure. It wasn't very busy the day we were there.

For Falmouth, go to the Jamaica boards section and you will most likely see recommendations for beaches to go to. I haven't been there, but when we took grandkids to Montego Bay there was a bus that took you to various beaches that are low-key and kid friendly. We had a great time there.

For small children on Cozumel, besides some shopping (take the strollers) you can go to a beach, such as Paradise beach, via taxi, there is either a small charge or possibly no charge if you buy any food there.

No real vehicles on Labadee! It's a walking thing, unless you hop in one of the open-air trams.....think golf cart with lots of seats!

A guidebook is what you need for your other ports, so you can make an informed decision about which beach and how to get there!

DH and I just returned from Freedom 8/18/13 with our 5 and 2 yr olds. Here are some suggestions:

Labadee- take the tram to Nellies Beach is right across from the adventure ocean area and their is a pirate themed water splash area. You can enjoy the beach and then walk across the way to the splash area or even use the Adventure Ocean program.

Falmouth - I have relatives from Jamaica and visit Negril every few yrs. I was there with my kids in June. Negril is a tourist destination and has the most beautiful white sand beaches. Falmouth, from someone who's traveled to Jamaica her whole life, is honestly a port I would stay on the ship, unless I wanted to just get off for some local food, but I'd likely not do this with the kids. I didn't feel unsafe but it is extremely poor. We chose to do the RCCL red stripe beach excursion because my DH didn't want to venture so far to Montego bay with the kids (he's a scaredy cat sometimes). This excursion has a great shuttle bus that picks up you up at the port and drives you to Red Stripe. I have to tell you that upon entering the "road to the Beach" a barbed fence type gate opens and you drive thru this really bad natural area with mangroves and then it opens up into paradise. This is honestly not a true impression of Jamaica and I feel terrible for people to leave thinking this is the Jamaica experience. It is not. Anyway Red Stripe was great. You have to pay for chairs. They had b1g1 happy hour special on beers and beef patties. The staff is great. You will not be badgered at all. But the water was very choppy, so many waves coming in. It was not ideal for the kids. My son wanted the pool because he doesn't like to be splashed with salt water. But overall the beach setup is nice. Changing rooms are clean too and staff is wonderful. Next time we might stay on the ship and I'd get off for some food. Or a trip to MoBay. This is a perfect day to enjoy h2o water zone to your self. No car seat needed on a shuttle bus. Just put them in your lap.

Grand Cayman - we did an island tour off the boat that went to the turtle farm (additional entrance fee) and then across the street to discovery cove to see the dolphins. My 5 yr old took a picture with the dolphin kissing his hand and the rest of us were in the p if true too ($40 for pic). Then we went to tortuga rum cake factory. Then it dropped us to the beach. Again we were on a shuttle so we put 2 yr old in our lap or on seat and help her there. She was fine. Taxis are expensive but I'd suggest the taxi or bus to the turtle farm and discovery cove then to beach.

Cozumel - we took taxi to Chankanaab to see dolphins and also sea lion show. Taxi was a regular sedan. Put 2 yr old in lap. It was fine. Driver took his time and trip was less than 10 minutes. Next time I would return to Nach Cocom or Mr Sancho. Their calm beaches are beautiful. Kids would have enjoyed.

Hope this helps.

We decided not to bring car seats for our 3.5 year olds. So, what are our options for these islands. We like to spend day on and maybe walk around town for a little. Nothing too crazy with the three year olds.

We would also prefer to not do excursions that are crazy $$$, just want to do a nice beach for a few hours.

Advice for Labadee? Do we just get off boat and find spot on beach or is there somewhere special we go?

How about Jamaica- what nice beach can we visit for day and any nice little area to walk around?

And Cozumel, does ship let us off at a town?

Also, can you rent strollers on the RCL Oasis? Looks like big ship and I assume a stroller would be nice. Is it a necessity with three year olds?

I am Jamaican but return primarily as a tourist. I was in Falmouth this past July. There is a square with street dancers that I thought was pretty cute. On Wednesday's there is a huge open air/farmers market refereed to as Bend Down, you have everything one might desire. Its more of a get off the ship, look around and take a few pics, just to say been there, done that.

Cozumel - we took the cab to one of the beaches and chilled for a the day. This was in April and the water was cold but the Tequila and beer was cheap, well cheaper than on the ship.

How are you getting to port?

If you are driving, use the one you have in the car.

If you are flying, and put him in the seat and take it with you.

I know it is a pain to lug around a car seat (been there) , but, when a child's safety is a concern I would rather be safe than ...

Let us know what you decide

Sea Ya

I'm a fan of paradise beach in Cozumel. Just grab a taxi when you get off the ship.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Yes, that's what we did with our petite four-year-old. She just used a seatbelt, and it felt perfectly safe in a slow moving taxi. I wouldn't even consider lugging a carseat around with a preschooler.

Paradise Beach was very nice. The water gets deep fast and the inflatables are out pretty far, but there's a hut where you can get a free blow-up lifejacket for your children by leaving your I.D. and there's also a pool with a shallow edge. We paid $14 each for the adults and the older kids to use all the water toys, but they said our youngest could use everything for free with a paying adult. Check out the website to see everything available. There was no pressure to buy food but we did get some pizza to tide us over until a late lunch back on the ship.

Archived