Alaska wear in june?

tanner2

what kind of clothes do you wear in alaska in june? can you wear capris,and summer sandles?:confused:

What part of the state and what kind of activities are you planning?

Remember that the Mosquito is our state bird! ;) Ketchikan gets more rain than most of the world. When you are near a glacier it will be much cooler than if you are inland near Fairbanks.

If you are comfortable in Capris and Sandals at 60 to 70 degrees you can probably carry it off but you want to bring layers and plan for weather changes as the day goes on...

You can check weather history here: http://www.accuweather.com/index-forecast-us.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipcode=-,AK

Joni

Joni We'll be crusing juneau,skagway, ketchikan , were doing the train ride in skagway, and lots of walking around in the other ports, I have lots of hoodies, just didn't want to bring all sweaters...... 60 are 70 would be nice! thanks Tanner2

We cruised in June, and my suggestion is think layers. I brought a rain slicker, it had a fleece lining, and wound up wearing it everyday. It was between high 40's low 50's and we had a spitty rain everyday. Honestly, it was overcast and rainy everyday, which can get cold. That aside, it was a wonderful trip, and simply beautiful. If you have a balconey, do go out there early in the morning, we saw alt of whales, which seemed to follow the ship. Have a great time.

We cruised in June, and my suggestion is think layers. I brought a rain slicker, it had a fleece lining, and wound up wearing it everyday. It was between high 40's low 50's and we had a spitty rain everyday. Honestly, it was overcast and rainy everyday, which can get cold. That aside, it was a wonderful trip, and simply beautiful. If you have a balconey, do go out there early in the morning, we saw alt of whales, which seemed to follow the ship. Have a great time.

I agree - it could be anywhere from high 30s to mid 70s...plan for everything in between. You WILL have rain and breezy cool times on deck! Layers is the way to go...

Joni

I would check on www.weather.com and look at the averages and you can check a few days before you leave too.

Personally, I leave the capris home. I was in Alaska in May 2006

and it was in the 50s-60s during the day. And luck was on our

side and it only rained twice all week.:)

During the day I was in long pants with a pullover (sweater)

or a jacket.

This time I am going in September and have been told

it is one of the rainier months.

Remember to bring a poncho.....rain is just part of the climate

and you still do tours.....just be prepared:)

We did the Alaskan cruise last June and I ended up wearing my wind pants quite a bit. They were black in color and very light weight. I found that on board it was pretty cool so not sure if you would be comfortable in capri's. I also took along a goretex rain jacket which came in handy. We also did the train ride in Skagway and the day was rainy and very cool, when someone talks about layering that is the way to go. I also bought along my cuddleduds and wore them on every excursion we took. Alaska is an amazing state and the beauty of it is overwhelming, enjoy your trip!

We were in Alaska in June and we wore shorts and a jacket in the morning on land. We took the bus ride up (Interstate 1?) and got out and everything and we were just fine. We also took a whale excursion boat and we were also fine then too. Can't remember if I wore shorts on the boat or not.

I think we lucked out on the weather then.

I think I'll take a windsuit, pair of jeans, pair shorts, bathing suite, coat, jacket, poncho? that should cover it you think? I sure hope I use the shorts, being from alabama I'm used to hot weather......... Oh and my dale jr 88 shirt.........:) tanner2

• 1 month later...
what kind of clothes do you wear in alaska in june? can you wear capris,and summer sandles?:confused:

We went during July and the crew members and the locals in each port said it was unusually warm and sunny. The warmest day we had was in the upper 70's. Nights were cool to cold (low 50's). We had rain in Sitka and it was very chilly. The coldest day was when we were in the College Fjord. The winds that come off the glaciers are very cold.

Take many thin layers and layer up in the morning, and then if necessary you can peel off layers during the day. Take a backpack/daypack into port to carry the excess layers of clothing and all of your shopping treasures. Unless you live in some place like Minnesota and dress in shorts and Tshirts once the temp get into the 40's-50's, I would leave the capri's at home....

Archived