Carnival Food..

dontpanik

I was curious on the quality. I have heard every possible review from nasty to wonderful. I thought I'd ask seasoned cruisers, what do you think? Also, a few specific questions...is there afternoon tea/high tea served anywhere aboard? Is the sushi fresh made, or is it buffet style made the day before?

Afternoon tea is usually served in one of the lounges during a sea day. Keep your eye's on the Capers.

Only some Sushi is make fresh and cut as you request others are pre-made but place on plate as ordered, as I recall. This will cause the line to the sushi to be long during the rush.

Destiny 2008

2217186600098903857S500x500Q85.jpg

Miracle 2005

2560176490098903857S500x500Q85.jpg

No charge, they usually have it between 5:30 and 8:30 PM on most nights. On the last cruise, they didn't have it on the first night and formal nights. It is setup at a sushi stand near a bar mostly. You can get Saki also for a charge. The stand will usually have soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger for you as well.

They also had sushi once in the dining room as a starter. We have also found it on the dining room lunch menu.

The sushi is cooked, by the way, but most that we had was quite good.

If you go on a ship with a supper club, they will also have it included in the extra charge.

2964879410098903857S500x500Q85.jpg

Nick and Nora's Supper Club - Miracle 2005

About the quality of Carnival food - I'm a retired chef from N.O., and I find the quality is very good; the taste, however, varies ship to ship, chef to chef. Some use more spices, etc., and sauces vary.

All in all, I appreciate Carnival's food. Some is better than other, but good food, nonetheless.

I agree with Cotton. I'm not a retired chef, but was raised by one (born while he was studying at the Cordon Bleu in Paris) and I've rarily found anything nasty on Carnival. It is not Jacques Pepin, but when you are churning out 3000 plates at a meal, they do a great job!

Try the Supper Club!! It is fantastic!

I agree with Cotton. I'm not a retired chef, but was raised by one (born while he was studying at the Cordon Bleu in Paris) and I've rarily found anything nasty on Carnival. It is not Jacques Pepin, but when you are churning out 3000 plates at a meal, they do a great job!

Try the Supper Club!! It is fantastic!

Same response here. I think if you pick things you normally like anyway you will be okay and sometimes pleasantly surprised. Now having said that, being a foodie I like to venture out into the unknown and try things I normally wouldn't order, and have had a good experience on several occassions considering the number of people they are serving and the time constraints during dinner.

Sometimes a few of the things you see on the dinner menu will end up on the lunch buffet the next day (sometimes with a variation i.e. ham becomes ham casserole), which is a plus if it was something you enjoyed.

For some strange reason my favorites are the chilled soups, I don't know why I never order chilled soups back on land. They do this butternut squash one that blows my head back everytime... it has a touch of creme fraiche (sp?) and and a touch of sherry on top. But since squash is seasonal they might only do that on the winter cruises. I also love the cucumber mint one, clears the palate nicely for dinner. I always get the cheese plate along with a dessert choice at dinner. Call me greedy, LOL Seriously, finishing a meal with mild cheeses has a calming affect on my tummy, but the desserts always look so tempting until I can't resist having that too.

The only desert I don't care for is baked Alaska... all drama but can't live up to the presentation. On my last couple of cruises they weren't even allowed to light the dang thing because of safety reasons... so if something else is offered I pass on that... in fact they may have removed it... I can't even remember seeing it on my very last cruise.. .but then I wasn't looking for it either. :D

The good thing about dinner in the dining room is that if you don't like something send it back and you will get your next choice fairly quickly. Or if you REALLY like something they will try to get you a second serving if you ask. On one of my cruises my friend's sister got two different entress on some nights when she couldn't make up her mind. With the economy being what it is I don't know if they will still do that, but if you get a nice wait staff they will probably try to accomodate you.

Just go with the frame of mind, they have lots of people to serve so I'm not looking for 5 star, just tasty and edible and you will be okay and probably surprised at what you get. However if you only eat out at 4 or 5 star restaurants and wouldn't be caught dead in a family style restaurant, be ready to be disapointed, especially during lunch time.

Same response here. ..........I like to venture out into the unknown and try things I normally wouldn't order, and have had a good experience ...

I agree; I order items that I don't normally prepare any longer. I love having a different taste experience; I've seldom been disappointed w/Carnival.

For some strange reason my favorites are the chilled soups, I don't know why I never order chilled soups back on land. They do this butternut squash one that blows my head back everytime... that too.

I've always enjoyed the chilled soups they offer. I had the butternut squash last week on the Fantasy. Wonderful as usual.

The only desert I don't care for is baked Alaska... On my last couple of cruises they weren't even allowed to light the dang thing because of safety reasons...

I've never been a fan of Baked Alaska. They stopped lighting it about 8-10 years ago, if my memory serves. There was an incident where one fell off a waiter's head and caught a tablecloth on fire.:eek:

... With the economy being what it is I don't know if they will still do that,

Yes, you can still order as many entrees (or anything else) you want. I had two lobster tails last week. I don't normally order multiples, but these were particularly good.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience, almost all of the food on Carnival was wonderful.

Favorite Appetizers:

1. Crab Cake

2. Shrimp Cocktail

Favorite Entrees (note: I don't eat beef):

1. Sweet and Sour Shrimps

2. Lobster Tail

3. Chicken a la Greque

Favorite Desserts:

1. Vanilla Creme Brulee

2. Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Least Favorites:

Fried Mozzarella

Penne Mariscos (almost no scallops or calimari)

Grand Marnier Souffle

Baked Alaska

Best Food Outside of the Dining Room:

De Chevre Pizza

Worst Food Outside of the Dining Room:

Mongolian Stir-Fry Station

(bland, even with the szechwan sauce)

I really enjoyed Carnival's food. There were a few things I didn't care for (Some of their steaks were quite bland), but then I just ordered something else. My favorite thing was definitely the fried seafood dinner (don't remember the name, but it has fried shrimp and calamari). Their pizza is also amazing.

I like Carnival's dining room food; the Lido not so much. However, the pizza station in the Lido and the sandwich deli are great. If I eat in the Lido, I generally make a salad from the salad bar and then grab a slice of pizza or a grilled, made to order sandwich.

I eat breakfast and lunch in the DR when they're open, usually on sea days.

Roz

I like Carnival's dining room food a lot. I thought the lobster tail was a decent size on the elegant/formal night. I absolutely LOVED the stuffed mushrooms that I had on the Victory in Aug 08. On my last Carnival cruise, each night my mom and I ordered 2 entrees and shared so we could try a little bit of everything. Every meal was nice & hot, served by a fantastic waiter and paced perfectly. I know you asked about food, but food goes hand in hand with service and I've always been very happy with the food AND the service on Carnival. :)

Oh and I do happen to really like that the buffet near the pool has chicken fingers.

I was curious on the quality. I have heard every possible review from nasty to wonderful. I thought I'd ask seasoned cruisers, what do you think? Also, a few specific questions...is there afternoon tea/high tea served anywhere aboard? Is the sushi fresh made, or is it buffet style made the day before?
let me finish that for you...Carnival Foods ..SUCKS

We sailed on the Carnival Freedom in May 2008 and found the food to be quite good. If you like your meat and fish rare and your vegetables crunchy, then the food may be a bit overcooked, but that is what usually happens when a lot of people have to be served at one time. The quality of the food that we encountered was excellent. I don't remember a high tea, but there may have been one. The sushi on our ship was made fresh on the nights that it was available.

Just to give you some background to inform you that we know what we are talking about, my wife is a gourmet cook. My oldest daughter is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and was a private chef on the yachts of the wealthy for twenty years. I would say that we have eaten in many, if not most, of the best restaurants from coast to coast. We know food and we enjoyed the food on the Carnival Freedom. Food is a very personal thing and everyone comes to it with their own expectations, likes and dislikes. We found the food quality, presentation and service to be the equivalent to that found in a good restaurant. As has been said, different ships have different chefs and different folks have different tastes. We cannot guarantee that you will have the same dining experience. We hope that you will enjoy your voyage and that the food is to your liking.

I have take n 10 Carnival cruises and I had never had anything that sucks. Some things are just okay but that is like that everywhere, even expensive restaurants. For people who say it sucks, I would like to know what you eat everyday.

I have cruised and eaten around (I don't sail one line exclusively-hubby calls me a "cruise-ho" because I go where the best deal/itin is.)

I can compare Celebrity,RCCL,Princess, after this August -NCL.

I am an avid eater,this is a big part of my cruise experience. Ex hubby was a CIA grad/executive chef, I co owned a successful catering biz.

Last month I sailed Carnival (conquest). I was surprisingly very impressed with the food quality, not only in the Main dining room but the Lido and room service as well. The creme brulee was better than Celebrity-this is my fave dessert. The beef was excellent. The breads and pastries were better than my local bakery. This was my 1st Carnival Cruise, won't be my last- especially due to the surprisingly great food. The Supper Club was out of this world, easily a $150.00 dinner on land.

Having said all of that, I'm sure that the chef-du-jour has something to do with the food quality on a given ship. The chef that I had may be on a different ship next week,etc..

Oops, forgot that you asked about tea/high tea. On my 7day Feb cruise there were 2 teas, both in the afternoon of at sea days, both with live classical music playing. It's not a high tea, but was nice nonetheless. Fresh Berries/clotted cream, cakes, pastries, little salmon and watercress sandwiches.

Hope that you enjoy!

-maryann

Oops, forgot that you asked about tea/high tea. On my 7day Feb cruise there were 2 teas, both in the afternoon of at sea days, both with live classical music playing. It's not a high tea, but was nice nonetheless. Fresh Berries/clotted cream, cakes, pastries, little salmon and watercress sandwiches.

Hope that you enjoy!

-maryann

I forgot to mention 'tea' also. I've attended tea time on every cruise, and I enjoy it very much. As you say, not 'high tea', but a very nice imitation.:)

The items seem to vary on each cruise. Sometimes they serve scones w/lemon curd, petit fours, lovely sandwiches, all of which has been delicious. I've also enjoyed the variety of teas they offer.

I think it's a very nice respite from the hoopla over the rest of the ship!:D

No charge, they usually have it between 5:30 and 8:30 PM on most nights. On the last cruise, they didn't have it on the first night and formal nights. It is setup at a sushi stand near a bar mostly. You can get Saki also for a charge. The stand will usually have soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger for you as well.

They also had sushi once in the dining room as a starter. We have also found it on the dining room lunch menu.

The sushi is cooked, by the way, but most that we had was quite good.

If you go on a ship with a supper club, they will also have it included in the extra charge.

2964879410098903857S500x500Q85.jpg

Nick and Nora's Supper Club - Miracle 2005

I am not a fish person, but I like to try different things especiaaly on vacation. If the sushi is cooked that may be the ok to try it. I have tried California rolls, those were not fish, crab I think. I always thought to be sushi, it had to be raw. Are you sure it is cooked?:confused::confused:

In my experience, almost all of the food on Carnival was wonderful.

Favorite Appetizers:

1. Crab Cake

2. Shrimp Cocktail

Favorite Entrees (note: I don't eat beef):

1. Sweet and Sour Shrimps

2. Lobster Tail

3. Chicken a la Greque

Favorite Desserts:

1. Vanilla Creme Brulee

2. Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Least Favorites:

Fried Mozzarella

Penne Mariscos (almost no scallops or calimari)

Grand Marnier Souffle

Baked Alaska

Best Food Outside of the Dining Room:

De Chevre Pizza

Worst Food Outside of the Dining Room:

Mongolian Stir-Fry Station

(bland, even with the szechwan sauce)

Just goes to show how it's all a matter of taste. The stir fry and the souffle were two of my very favorites.

On the other hand, I find the sushi practically inedible. To me, "sushi" that does not include fresh, raw fish has very little reason to exist...

I have cruised Carnival 5 times and have NEVER been disappointed in the food. Everything is always good.

Only bad thing: Since I have cruised with Carnival 5 times in the last 5 years, we have seen alot of repeated food, but thats totally fine with us, especially since the food is good.

Make sure you have the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake!!!!

I am not a fish person, but I like to try different things especiaaly on vacation. If the sushi is cooked that may be the ok to try it. I have tried California rolls, those were not fish, crab I think. I always thought to be sushi, it had to be raw. Are you sure it is cooked?:confused::confused:

There are many types of sushi that include cooked seafood. The crab and shrimp will always be cooked, as will the eel (unagi). There are also vegetable rolls and tamago (eggs squares).

I've been on 3 carnival cruises so far and have loved the food every time. The food in the dining room was excellent for the most part. I only wish there were more whole grains offered. I didn't go to the buffets much but thought even there the quality was good. The gourmet pizza available around the clock was delicious. On that cruise (don't know if it's still offered, but it was on my last cruise) the pizza station also had caesar salad with or without added chicken breast available. I saw some ship dancers getting their dinner there.

• 1 month later...

I like just about everything. I love the BLT's from room service. The pizza is always good for a midnight snack. I have never been disapointed with dinner in the main room (although somethings are better than others). I like all of the choices you have. I usually gain 7-9 pounds on a week long cruise. I am one of those people who eat nonstop.

Archived