Birth Certificate and Marriage License ? (Yes another, sorry)

okiegirl07

Me and my sister are taking my mom on her first cruise! She does not have a passport (she very rarely leaves her home state) but she does have her original birth certificate. She also has a copy of her marriage license but the problem is she has been married before and doesn't have a copy of that marriage license. I know I have cruised before with my bc and marriage license and when I tried to hand them my marriage license they wouldn't even take it! Has anyone else experienced this problem? I know it would be best to get her a passport but we just booked and have less than 3 weeks before we leave! Thanks in advance for your help!

Me and my sister are taking my mom on her first cruise! She does not have a passport (she very rarely leaves her home state) but she does have her original birth certificate. She also has a copy of her marriage license but the problem is she has been married before and doesn't have a copy of that marriage license. I know I have cruised before with my bc and marriage license and when I tried to hand them my marriage license they wouldn't even take it! Has anyone else experienced this problem? I know it would be best to get her a passport but we just booked and have less than 3 weeks before we leave! Thanks in advance for your help!

If you expedite it you should be able to get a passport in three weeks if you really want one. Does the marriage license she has have her current name on it? As far as I know she just needs a document showing the connection between name on her ID and the name on the birth cert.

I've never needed a marriage license to cruise. Do you think she needs it because her last name is different now than it was on her birth certificate? If you have time to do it, you should probably invest in a passport for her...but you've probably heard that a bazillion times and have reasons not to do it.

If you expedite it you should be able to get a passport in three weeks if you really want one. Does the marriage license she has have her current name on it? As far as I know she just needs a document showing the connection between name on her ID and the name on the birth cert.

The current mariage license has the first marriage name to her current name. She doesn't have anything showing how she got from her maiden name to her current name. Thanks

I've never needed a marriage license to cruise. Do you think she needs it because her last name is different now than it was on her birth certificate? If you have time to do it, you should probably invest in a passport for her...but you've probably heard that a bazillion times and have reasons not to do it.

Yes the last names are different. The last time I cruised with my birth certificate I handed the agent my bc and my dl and tried to hand him the copy of my marriage license and he held his hand up and said "I don't need that". She has never been out of the country before and I honestly don't see her ever going again so it is hard to justify getting a passport for her and especially paying the expedited price.

The current mariage license has the first marriage name to her current name. She doesn't have anything showing how she got from her maiden name to her current name. Thanks

I think as long as she has a document showing her current last name she'll be fine, especially if they don't bother to look at it.

9 Cruises and I have never been asked for my Marriage License on any of them. A few posters claim they have. I have not experienced it. WHTI just states that the Photo ID must match the Boarding Documents.

It was our first cruise so we did not know that we would need it or even think about needing it but they let me on the ship anyhow, thank goodness. I always had my marriage license after that with my birth certificate until we got our passports but was never asked to show it again? :confused:

Now I have a passport so no further issues.

Make sure to have documentation for the name that the cruise is booked under. In my circumstances, My passport has my maiden name and my driver's license has my married name - so RCI had me bring my marriage license and they booked the room under the name that is on the passport.

I had this exact problem. We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and I don't have a passport. I went online to the vital statistics dept of our state and ordered a certified copy of 1st marriage and divorce certificate to show the name change. I had them mailed to me but I could have went the same day and picked them up. I know I will probably not even need these but wanted to have my bases covered, just in case...

The name on her boarding pass must match the name on her photo ID(pass port or drivers license) Birth certificate proves date of birth, must be issued by the state, not the hospital.

If you have time to get the passport that is what I would do. While cruise lines still allow passengers on and off with certified copies of birth certificates airplanes don't and in the unfortunate situation that you had to stay at port for say a medical reason you will have great difficulty getting back to the states.

Make sure you go to the courthouse and order a certified birth certificate with a raised seal. The original one will most likely not be sufficient.

Why not?

My father had that problem a few years ago. His BC did not contain enough information for him to prove citizenship. It was a process to get a certified one from the county.

He had no clue until he went to apply for a passport.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My father had that problem a few years ago. His BC did not contain enough information for him to prove citizenship. It was a process to get a certified one from the county.

He had no clue until he went to apply for a passport.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Ah, yes, the State Department does have more stringent rules for the birth certs they accept for issuing passports, but fortunately it's DHS regs that control.

Please just alleviate all worry and anxiety, and splurge on an expedited passport. Your own post recognizes there might be "a problem" with the current ID.

The passport is valid for 10 years and should (god forbid) there be an emergency and mom needs to get home, she's covered.

As the OP is leaving in less than three weeks and the processing time for an expedited passport is two to three weeks, spending the extra money may not work out.

When we went on our first two cruises we did not have passports. I brought my marriage license but was never asked to see it. . If you really want to cover your bases try to get a copy of the first marriage certificate and possibly the divorce , too.

Homeland Security requires it to be a certified copy. I am assuming this is due to how easy it is to forge documents.

Do you have a source for that? According to this website www.getyouhome.gov an original or copy of a birth certificate is good as long as it is issued by a government agency. (It's just as easy to forge a "certified copy" as it is anything else;) and when the regulations were written I am sure they took this into account.)

Archived