Why do YOU cruise?

I have read quite a few threads where a person comments, or heaven forbid, complains about something on his/her cruise and many a poster here comes on and says well...I don't cruise for:

the ports

the food

the music

the drinks of the day

the dining rooms

the activities

the people

the bars.

Most of those folk state they cruise for the sea, like they are sprites or merfolk or something. I was just wondering if you are one of those why would you not buy a boat? Last I heard the sea lets everyone on. If you are not one of those folk, why do you cruise?

I cruise for the ports,the food, the music, the DOD'S, the dining rooms, the activities, the people, the bars, and most importantly for the sea :D.

I cruise for all of those reasons, but, I think I cruise mostly because I do not have to worry about anything! No cleaning, no picking up, I don't have to answer a phone or be responsible for anyone but me and DW!:D

I agree with those saying they cruise for the escape from the tedious chores we must do at home..cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. I also have a residential cleaning business so I REALLY appreciate a break from all of that. All the rest is just a super nice bonus. :D

I cruise for all of those reasons, but, I think I cruise mostly because I do not have to worry about anything! No cleaning, no picking up, I don't have to answer a phone or be responsible for anyone but me and DW!:D

You captured what I love most about cruising.

I've cruised 31 times on 6 lines over 21 years. On the surface it's the entertainment & food that got me hooked. As I find both less satisfying on recent cruises and think I will just do Vegas instead (can select my shows and restaurants), I must acknowledge that other vacations don't offer the same escape!

The time away from EVERYTHING, I am too easily accessible on a land vacation and the "escape" just isn't the same.

The cabins, there is something about them that is just so addictive, isn't there? (where else do you find people so obsessed with finding out every little detail of a 200sq ft room on land??)

The food, room service, balconies, the sound of the ships horn & the PA system and of course just to be at sea., there is nothing like it.

I cruise for those same reasons (no cleaning, no cooking, get away from work/life), but I also cruise because it forces me to breathe deeply and just relax - something I just don't seem to do regularly enough in my day-to-day life.

I nice easy way to see several Ports in a week. To experience the culture and landscape and people of new places. Between the stops the ship does well for a place to sleep and grab a meal without flying or driving everytime. I'd be fine with simpler meals and less frills, really I am into the Ports and am pretty unsocial but polite onboard. Wander on deck at 5:30/6:00 Am, down in bed by 9, in Port ASAP and always stay as long as I can off the ship.

I cruise so I can hear those toilettes flush. Just can't hear em often enough. :D

Just kidding, we cruise for all of the above reasons and DH doesn't have to drive & I don't have to sit next to him driving for 8-10 hrs. We usually take road trips with our travel trailer, a cruise is just so much different.

For us its the escape that takes us cruising. The solitude I find while sitting on my balcony sipping a beverage is priceless.:D

I served in the Navy for 9 years, then the Coast Guard for 22 1/2 years, and then was in the merchant marine. Let's face it, I'm a sailor! I talked my lovely bride into going on a cruise, and then she was hooked, so here we are, true lovers of the sea, and in addition the fun of meeting all those great people who love to cruise too. Ships are the magic that brings us to exotic ports of call, and the beauty of seeing whales, dolphins, flying fish, and sea turtles far away from land and all of its polution.:D:D

I have read quite a few threads where a person comments, or heaven forbid, complains about something on his/her cruise and many a poster here comes on and says well...I don't cruise for:

the ports

the food

the music

the drinks of the day

the dining rooms

the activities

the people

the bars.

Most of those folk state they cruise for the sea, like they are sprites or merfolk or something. I was just wondering if you are one of those why would you not buy a boat? Last I heard the sea lets everyone on. If you are not one of those folk, why do you cruise?

I cruise for the ports,the food, the music, the DOD'S, the dining rooms, the activities, the people, the bars, and most importantly for the sea :D.

I cruise for most of those reasons ... at different times of the year the cruise means something different to me.

I work retail and deal with the public. When I cruise in January its a rest to my body and soul. I can let my bruised battered overworked body rest and heal from all the hours and the bruises that come from inevitably being hit by peoples shopping carts when they aren't paying attention and run me over or when they just want to be where I am standing. On those trips I find solace on the peaceful Serenity decks and do what I can to stay clear of all areas where I feel people will be packed into small spaces and or short tempered. I get off the ship much later in the day because I don't want to deal with all the people wedged together waiting to be the 1st ones off the boat. I might even stay on the ship if its a port I've been to before. Its not that I'm anti social. One of the reasons that I work retail is because I love being around people. But at that time of year I'll take one on one time over being lumped into a large group.

The food is good and its ever present. I rarely eat 3 full meals a day at home and yet eat at least 3x per day on the ship. But outside of saving space for my warm chocolate melting cake there is nothing else food-wise that I long for so I don't think food is very far up on my list. As a side note when we were taking our teenage son with us the always present availability of food on the ship saved us lots of money and was definitely lured us in.

I used to say that I traveled for the people that I got to meet. When I'm not recovering from the holidays in the retail world I have found in recent years that a lot of people don't seem as interested in dining with or hanging out with anyone other than those with whom they chose to travel. Sometimes the remainders of the shy little girl in me have a hard time opening up with people when I feel that vibe.

I love the MDR and have been cruising enough years to remember when it was an event to dress for and a total treat. The tables always looked so pretty back then with real flower centerpieces on them and the sparkle of the stemware, complete with beautiful chargers ans all the silverware set out in a proper place setting. Sometomes there was even live piano music. (and yes this was on Carnival) Its still niceand I still look forward to that evening sit down dinner, but I miss what once was ...

I am a music lover and like many different styles. I have been happy to sit and just listen to the live groups and people watch many times over the years, One of my favorite early cruises had a real band that played swing style and many other styles. The band was so good that even our teenagers and their friends enjoyed discovering some of the music they played and dancing and hanging out. Unfortunately even with my diverse likes it seems that there aren't as many groups and the quality of their music is not always up to what it once was and I spend less time just enjoying the music. When we were on the Legend in January the show band played swing music a couple night and while that is 1 time hubby will usually actually dance with me the had it in the smoking area and we as wel as many others who wanted to stay and dance couldn't handle the heavy smoke in the area.

I hope this doesn't sound like too much complaining. I guess I'm trying to say that I cruise for all the above reasons with some being more important at times than others and that there are things that I liked that Carnival has changed or done away with, but even with those things missing cruising is still my favorite vacation.

I cruise because the only way I can get away from the work phone and computer is to leave the country.

Ditto here!

Oh, and having someone to cook for you and clean up after you ain't all that bad either :D

I cruise so I can hear those toilettes flush. Just can't hear em often enough. :D.

Hee! Your comment made me LOL. Every time I get back home from a cruise, I find myself expecting that loud noise the first time I flush the toilet at home. Then I get depressed when I realize I'm not on a cruise anymore :rolleyes:

I cruise for the entire experience, however, I find it better than land vacations and a lot more affordable. The month before my first cruise in 2009, I spent 9 days at my friends' hotel in St. Croix and was bored after a few days and it was so expensive with just meals and entertainment (excursions) and cost more for myself than my first 7 day cruise with my ex even with my friend giving me the hotel room.

I don't really care for many sea days nor laying out on the decks. I do enjoy the dinners in the MDR and the shows and enjoying the ship. I LOVE having a different port to visit every day.

Archived