Is there a difference between Dramamine and Bonine?

Kitty34

I think it depends on the person. All our body chemistries react differently. but with me-Bonine does not make me drowsy. Dramine does. Plus if you notice on ship Dramine is free at the purser's desk- where as Bonine is sold in the usually in the ship's shop.

Now I am a cheapskape. I go for "free" first but I can tell you this I would rather buy the bonine and use that then take the free dramine-I take the dramine and then I am too sleepy to enjoy the shows and entertainment in the lounges etc. and end up "going to bed with the chickens" I don't want to do that on a cruise. Why spend all that money on a cruise and then go to bed at 9 p.m.? I can do that at home for free.

It took me a couple of cruises to figure that out but once I did -I have not taken dramine again.

I agree with the previous post... Dramamine makes me drowsy where Bonine does not. Bonine was prescription for many years before it came over the counter. I've done many cruises using Bonine and have never had a problem so I figure why mess with success:D

I agree with the other posts.

Dramamine makes me drowsy where Bonine does not. My son has been a pharmacy person for years and there is a difference.

I also like the fact that bonine - I can take one our two pills for the whole day.

Bonine and Anti-vert are the brand names for meclizine.

Dramamine is the brand name for dimenhydrinate.

I thought so and this pharmacist told me that Bonine and Dramamine have the same ingredient (meclizine) in it. What does a pharmacist know!!:D :p

There are 2 types of Dramamine: Original Dramamine and Dramamine II Less Drowsy Formula. Original is dimenhydrinate, a close cousin to Benadryl, while Dramamine II is meclizine, the excat same as Bonine, which the KMart pharmacist may have been referring to. In my area, Dramamine II is alot cheaper than the Bonine.

Signed, another KMart Pharmacist.

There are 2 types of Dramamine: Original Dramamine and Dramamine II Less Drowsy Formula. Original is dimenhydrinate, a close cousin to Benadryl, while Dramamine II is meclizine, the excat same as Bonine, which the KMart pharmacist may have been referring to. In my area, Dramamine II is alot cheaper than the Bonine.

Signed, another KMart Pharmacist.

Thanks for the explanation KMart Pharmacist!:)

Meclizine, the generic, is a lot cheaper than either Bonine or Dramamine. I just bought a bottle of Meclizine.........100 tablets, just under $10.00. Last time I bought Bonine, it was something like $ 7.00 for 8 tablets. Just ask the pharmacist for it, it does not require a prescription.

Bonine has been the best med for me. My druggist did offer to sell me the generic Meclizine, but I declined. Bonine has always worked, so I have been afraid to switch, even though he says it is the same. I tried Dramamine once, but it made me drowsy.

One other difference re kids...

Perhaps the K-Mart Pharmacists can add more expertise, but in my research on this, both Bonine and the non-drowsy (new) Dramamine (which has the exact same ingredient) indicate they should not be given to kids under 12, where the original formula of dramamine indicates a lower dosage can be given to kids as young as six.

I don't like the drowsiness issue with the original formula, but we are sailing with a 9 & 11 year old.

Bonine and Meclizine HCL are the same thing. Meclizine is a chemical name, Bonine is a trade name. They are identical in formulation. The only difference is that Bonine costs $7 for 8 pills and Meclizine costs $5 for 100. Again, they are the same pill...

Archived