Jewish Roma - walking tours

SunDapple

Has anyone on these boards used this tour guide in Rome, and if so what tour did you sign up for, how was it and would you do it again? I am interested in the Jewish Vatican tour, an/or the Rome Selection, having a love of art history, but desiring a different perspective on the art from what I received in college courses. Thanks for your help.

We did the Jewish Ghetto tour a year ago with Micaela and learned so much about the history of this area. This area is her home and it is a very personal story of her family as she leads you around. She took us to lunch at a restaurant in the Ghetto and it was delicious. We also did their Roman Forum and Colosseum tour, though Micaela did not lead this one, but she sent a wonderful and knowledgable guide and once again, we were overwhelmed by all we saw and learned. She was so nice to work with and answered my e-mails promptly. We even arranged for transfers through her.

Wish we could have done more tours, but these are expensive tours, but worth the price.

Pam

We did a walking tour with unique tours of rome, Mayo was our guide. went to the jewish getto, travestere, across the tiber, 3 churches, the flower mart and the produce mart. the large jesuit church at the beginning of the tour near the jewish getto is not to be missed. we are going in a month and using romewalks.com as we will be going outside of rome for part of the tour.

Just to clarify for sundapple: I was talking about the the Jewish Roma tours. I realized I wasn't specific about that.

pam

Thanks Pam. As soon as I saw Micaela's name I knew you were talking about Jewish Roma. The Jewish Ghetto tour with Micaela is probably a must. I've read that their Colliseum tour is supposed to be very good, and now you've confirmed it, but I wonder how much walking is involved with two 3 hour tours. Lots I suspect. I am so excited to have found these tours and feel that it's the best way for us to "do" Rome. Thanks again for posting your positive.

Thanks Pam. As soon as I saw Micaela's name I knew you were talking about Jewish Roma. The Jewish Ghetto tour with Micaela is probably a must. I've read that their Colliseum tour is supposed to be very good, and now you've confirmed it, but I wonder how much walking is involved with two 3 hour tours. Lots I suspect. I am so excited to have found these tours and feel that it's the best way for us to "do" Rome. Thanks again for posting your positive.

Do you have a contact for Micaela or the name of the tour company

Many Thanks

Jacquie,

The Jewish Ghetto Tour isn't too bad, as some of the time you are sitting in the Synagogue and the area of the Ghetto is not overwhelmingly large. The Roman Forum and Colosseum Tour is all walking and hilly at times, but you are stopping and looking a lot. We walked from the Ghetto to the Forum area and then had a long walk to where our hotel was, so it was a big day, but you do have to think about how much your body can take in a day:-) and if you're going in the summer,it can be so darn hot! We went back to Rome this past summer too, and overdid it again:-) Just too much to see!

Pam

We recently returned from the azamara Journey Holyland tour where we stopped in Rome for one day. Originally a group of us were scheduled to take the Jewish Roma tour, but due to the illness of several members of the group we cancelled the day before. Instead we took a cab to the synagogue at the edge of the ghetto and intended to walk around by ourselves. Incidentally, we were told by Michaela that the synagogue itself was closed for cleaning during our visit, which was confirmed when we got there. We found that there was a pick-up tour of the ghetto each day at 1:30 pm that was 8 euros each. We took the tour and it was wonderful. We also found that there was a tour of the synagogue itself for 6 euros. If you are interested in touring the ghetto we heartily recommend these tours, which are much less expensive than the Jewish Roma tours.

Dear Lady's Mom,

Thanks for the info. It's something to consider, doing the ghetto with your suggestion, and perhaps something else with Micaela. I'm sure my DH would like the sound of saving money. :) Thanks so much for your helpful information.

We recently returned from the azamara Journey Holyland tour where we stopped in Rome for one day. Originally a group of us were scheduled to take the Jewish Roma tour' date=' but due to the illness of several members of the group we cancelled the day before. Instead we took a cab to the synagogue at the edge of the ghetto and intended to walk around by ourselves. Incidentally, we were told by Michaela that the synagogue itself was closed for cleaning during our visit, which was confirmed when we got there. We found that there was a pick-up tour of the ghetto each day at 1:30 pm that was 8 euros each. We took the tour and it was wonderful. We also found that there was a tour of the synagogue itself for 6 euros. If you are interested in touring the ghetto we heartily recommend these tours, which are much less expensive than the Jewish Roma tours.[/quote']

Sounds like a much better way of doing the Ghetto. Where to you pick up those tours;) Thanks

• 2 years later...

I notice this thread is 2+ years old. I have friends who are stopping in Rome on their cruise and are interested in Roma tours Ghetto tour. The pick up tour sounds way more reasonable and would allow them to book the Roma tour of Jewish Vatican or the Forum & Collisseum. Can someone tell me if the pickup tour is still available and where to find it? Thanks in advance.

Archived