All website owners: Help needed asap Googlepages is shutting down

Hi Everyone!

I am desperate need of some advice or suggestions on a place to host my site

Google has announced that they are shutting down

GooglePages which I have used to build and host my site.

They are very evasive on the timetable could be a couple of days, weeks or months

I would prefer an ad free arena.

As you can imagine I'm beyond stressed about this.

I have begun saving all html, images, etc.

I'm totally open to all suggestions

Here's the link to my site and the thread that I have been posting on this board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=743701

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Thanks so much!

Karen

You may be a little premature in your stressing. From the googlepages site --

If you are currently a Page Creator user, you can continue to use Page Creator and your pages will automatically be transitioned to Google Sites later this year. We are committed to making this transition as smooth and easy as possible, and we will post more details as we get closer to the transition time. You can also manually move your web pages from Page Creator to Google Sites or other service providers at any time.

So you can continue to use your pages while they transition to their new system. You can go to http://pages.google.com/-/about.html for more information

Rich

Hi Rich...

thanks for responding...

not sure if you are active in that discussion group, as I don't recognize your cruisecritic screenname as a GPC discussion group name

I've been emailing with some of the long time guys who are quite the gurus... some are web developers by trade.

According to them, the features I have on my site such as smilebox, the templates..will not be allowed in the migration.

Google Sites will not allow any of us to upload html and many other features that GPC allowed

I did take Google for face value after I read that information Google put up a couple of days ago on our discussion group

(the one you were kind to link to)

UNTIL the particpants on that message board who I totally respect ...advised me to begin saving immediatly..

and searching for another host.

On 2 occassions today noone was able to access our "maintenance areas"

If anyone has any suggestions, I will explore each one!

Karen

Sorry, I just thought it was strange that they were pulling the google pages. When I saw the migration, I figured you would be ok. The pages I host are on a site I pay about $100/year for and have very few restrictions. Also, they include email addresses. Other than that, does yahoo geocities meet your needs? Also, most ISP's (ATT, Charter, Comcast included) provide some web space with few restrictions as part of your account. Does that meet your needs?

Hope this is some help

Rich

Hi Rich...

I checked out GeoCities..not quite sold on it...that's my isp

the ones I've liked such as Homestead are

around $20 a month.

i'm currently looking at godaddy

would you mind sharing who you are using...either by posting here or sending me an email?

BTW, I have 50 pages and I'm using about 7mb of space

Thanks,

Karen

Thanks Johnnie!

It's great to hear feedback!

I actually was just thinking of sending you an email to ask who you were using...

I thought I would give my thread another day of 2 to see if it's noticed and then start sending out personal emails.

Rich (above post) gave me a couple of ideas too.

On a side note, I sent some long time friends to your site who have never cruised before...I knew I probably forgot to tell them some key things, because I've been cruising for so long...and the details don't always come to mind that would cause a new cruiser confusion.

In May 2007, my DH took his 1st cruise...

for me it was great to watch him experience the joy of cruising, the discovery of the ship etc...... I actually went to every show, played ping pong, shuffleboard, and every trivia game...and of course each day .. the drink of the day we had to try! The things that i've done a zillion times and have started to pass on through the years! But were made fun again because it was such a great new experience for him

a funny story..i'm so use to movement of ships, nothing phases me...DH wakes me up from a sound sleep...

in a panic!!!! he says the hangers are making noise, and water bottle fell down what do we do, what do we do?

I'm thinking you woke me for that? but I said when the tv falls down we will start to worry, otherwise this is nothing...

Totally, my fault...I should of remembered to tell him hangars shake in the middle of the night!!!

anyway..guess what I'm trying to say is your site is fantastic for the new cruiser!

K.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Johnnie!

It's great to hear feedback!

I actually was just thinking of sending you an email to ask who you were using...

I thought I would give my thread another day of 2 to see if it's noticed and then start sending out personal emails.

Rich (above post) gave me a couple of ideas too.

On a side note, I sent some long time friends to your site who have never cruised before...I knew I probably forgot to tell them some key things, because I've been cruising for so long...and the details don't always come to mind that would cause a new cruiser confusion.

In May 2007, my DH took his 1st cruise...

for me it was great to watch him experience the joy of cruising, the discovery of the ship etc...... I actually went to every show, played ping pong, shuffleboard, and every trivia game...and of course each day .. the drink of the day we had to try! The things that i've done a zillion times and have started to pass on through the years! But were made fun again because it was such a great new experience for him

a funny story..i'm so use to movement of ships, nothing phases me...DH wakes me up from a sound sleep...

in a panic!!!! he says the hangers are making noise, and water bottle fell down what do we do, what do we do?

I'm thinking you woke me for that? but I said when the tv falls down we will start to worry, otherwise this is nothing...

Totally, my fault...I should of remembered to tell him hangars shake in the middle of the night!!!

anyway..guess what I'm trying to say is your site is fantastic for the new cruiser!

K.

Karen,

Thanks for the feedback on our website! I had to email HostKat to get her to remove our site from the Member Showcase -- we were about to add a Message Board to our site, and you can't have a website showcased on here if it has a Message Board (against CC's terms of service). I hated to have to pull our site off the Member Showcase, but we're getting a lot of e-mails with cruise questions from folks, and I thought that a Message Board would be a quicker way to handle this. But Kim's Cruise Tips is still around, and we'll still be looking around the forums here at Cruise Critic as always, and I will always appreciate the chance they gave me to share this site with the world! Again, thanks for sending a few folks our way, and if you need any info on GoDaddy or anything else, we're here.:)

Smooth Sailing,

--Johnnie & Kim

Hi ohio cruiser and everyone else!

We use a pc...

though I'm familiar with your program..

My former boss is an Apple disciple

he actually made a great dvd of our wedding using idvd..

truly a priceless gift for us!

We are leaning towards godaddy at this point..but will

make the final decision this weekend..

Thanks everyone!

Karen

I use http://www.allenhost.com It is a full featured webhost. I also have my own domain name because I got tired of having to change my email address every time my IPS changed names.

You can also register your own domain name thru allenhost.

You will need some software to make the web pages, or you can also hand code the HTML using a text edit app. You might also need a FTP program to uplond your site to your host, unless you site design software has that function built in.

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for all the responses!

We signed up with GoDaddy yesterday and I have begun building our new site.

We purchased a really cool domain name...that fits us and of course travel related...:)

Once I'm up and running I will do a seperate post, introducing the new site!

Also, I know a couple of you have linked my googlepages site and I will send you an email letting you know the new address!

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone trying to help us out!

K.

Archived