Msg

Wandering Woman

Hi

We are going on our first cruise with Celebrity in March... I have one question regarding food preparation...

Do they use MSG as an additive on cruise ships?

I have a very bad reaction to MSG and it would be dreadful if I ended up ill on the cruise...

Thanks for your help.

I have a number of food allergies, myself. Make sure you contact Celebrity early on and let them know. I've never cruised with Celebrity, but, all the other lines I've used have been very good about careful food preparation. I usually go to the dining room the first day, where the Maitre d' is taking care of reservations. I introduce myself, and explain the allergies. Every evening the head waiter has come to my table to discuss the next night's menu to see what I want to have so it can be prepared properly. Not sure what you'll do for breakfast and lunch. Mine are pretty easy: milk and eggs; so, I can pretty much know what to stay away from. MSG might be a little more difficult. Call the line right away so they can sort it all out for you.

And have a great cruise!

Cruise Lines learned long ago that many Americans are allergic to most foods that the rest of the world eats every day.

Every sailing we receive long lists of food allergies with hundreds of names on each one.

The current fashionable allergy is gluten. Last week we had over 600 passengers who had to have gluten free diets.

Most CruiseLines - including Celebrity - gave up using MSG a long time ago. But you should be aware that MSG exists naturally in high concentrations in fresh fish, seaweed, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and many types of mushrooms.

...and get severe migraines as a result. I've had this for all my adult life. I will say however that of the five times we have sailed Celebrity I have never had a reaction from any of their food.

They do not use it in their food preparation. But as someone with reactions to MSG you still want to take precautions against certain things like dark gravys and soy sauce at the sushi bar.

What ship will you be sailing on and when in March? We will be sailing on the Millie March 11.

You'll have a great trip....and enjoy the food!!

Dan

.....and get severe headaches as a result. I've had this my entire adult life and need to watch what I eat. But on our five cruises with Celebrity I have not encountered any problems with their food.

They do not use MSG in any food preparation. With that said, you may still want to steer clear from things such as dark gravys and the soy sauce at the sushi bar.

When are you sailing in March and which ship will you be on? We will be sailing on the Millie March 11.

You'll have a great time and you'll love the food!!

Dan

Cruise Lines learned long ago that many Americans are allergic to most foods that the rest of the world eats every day.

Every sailing we receive long lists of food allergies with hundreds of names on each one.

The current fashionable allergy is gluten. Last week we had over 600 passengers who had to have gluten free diets.

Most CruiseLines - including Celebrity - gave up using MSG a long time ago. But you should be aware that MSG exists naturally in high concentrations in fresh fish, seaweed, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and many types of mushrooms.

Thx everyone for your helpful comments...

Jim, I am not American nor do I have 'fashionable' fads on foods...

In fact I have only recently realised what causes my vomiting, headaches, and other symptoms I am too polite to mention! But believe me, this reaction is nothing to do with a trend!!!!! So chill out, I only asked a question....

BTW - My sister is a Coeliac and it is a very serious illness and not to be taken lightly!

Thx again to everyone

Archived