Any Babies on Breakaway yet?

Livemad

Where are the Breakaway Guppies?

I would love to hear from anyone that has been on Breakaway with their baby.

I wonder what the pack n play looks like when opened in a stateroom? Specifically, a minisuite if at all possible. I wonder if walking around it is gonna be a problem? Do the inflatable little tubs fit in the shower? Is there room in the closets for an umbrella stroller?

Secretly I hoped this new innovative ship would have an area with sprinklers for guppies (swim diapers allowed) like I've heard the Oasis class ships have. :o

No reviews with guppies in the family sections of the forum yet. I wonder how long before the babies start cruising too?

[Psst, Gambee..... can you bribe someone on the ship to show you? :)]

I am sure there will be a few Breakaway babies in about 9 months :D

:eek: That isn't what I meant, lol, but you thankfully reminded me to add something to my packing list! :D

I am bringing my baby on the breakaway in October. He will be 11 months.

I wanted to post because I've been on the Oasis. If I can remember, babies weren't allowed in the sprinkler area because that area drained into the main pool. The only area that swim diapers were allowed was specifically the baby pool. The staff were really enforcing the rules.

I am bringing my baby on the breakaway in October. He will be 11 months.

I wanted to post because I've been on the Oasis. If I can remember, babies weren't allowed in the sprinkler area because that area drained into the main pool. The only area that swim diapers were allowed was specifically the baby pool. The staff were really enforcing the rules.

Any area for the guppies sounds like a good idea to me, whether it's sprinklers or just a few inches of water for them to splash around in. I've yet to pick out one of those little inflatable pools since I'm unsure of the size and space/storage limits of the room.

Where are the Breakaway Guppies?

I would love to hear from anyone that has been on Breakaway with their baby.

I wonder what the pack n play looks like when opened in a stateroom? Specifically, a minisuite if at all possible. I wonder if walking around it is gonna be a problem? Do the inflatable little tubs fit in the shower? Is there room in the closets for an umbrella stroller?

Secretly I hoped this new innovative ship would have an area with sprinklers for guppies (swim diapers allowed) like I've heard the Oasis class ships have. :o

No reviews with guppies in the family sections of the forum yet. I wonder how long before the babies start cruising too?

[Psst, Gambee..... can you bribe someone on the ship to show you? :)]

Can tell you from other Norwegian ships--that you might be able to fit the umbrella stroller in either the closet or perhaps under the bed (folded, of course, lol) Since the mini suites we stayed in had a tub (not the case on Breakaway, though) the inflatable tub was a non issue. Seems like the showers are quite roomy from the pics, so you should be ok. As far as the pack n play, well, my personal experience was they set them up infront of the sofa and it was almost impossible to walk around to get to the balcony (you know, back when a standard balcony wasn't a balconette :eek:) So, for us we had to close it up during the day when the baby wasn't napping. I usually just stayed on the bed with the baby for naps so we didn't have to keep setting the thing up all the time. We talked to our room steward, and they would set it up at night and in the morning took it away (once we asked) so we could walk around without tripping over the thing.

I know this isn't totally helpful, as it is not specific to Breakaway, but seeing as how the rooms really aren't any larger, it might give you an idea. I don't have any photos from prev. cruises to help you see the pack n play set up, but if you look at the photos of the mini suites and picture the size of a standard pack n play, you know there isn't much "wiggle" room there.

Can tell you from other Norwegian ships--that you might be able to fit the umbrella stroller in either the closet or perhaps under the bed (folded, of course, lol) Since the mini suites we stayed in had a tub (not the case on Breakaway, though) the inflatable tub was a non issue. Seems like the showers are quite roomy from the pics, so you should be ok. As far as the pack n play, well, my personal experience was they set them up infront of the sofa and it was almost impossible to walk around to get to the balcony (you know, back when a standard balcony wasn't a balconette :eek:) So, for us we had to close it up during the day when the baby wasn't napping. I usually just stayed on the bed with the baby for naps so we didn't have to keep setting the thing up all the time. We talked to our room steward, and they would set it up at night and in the morning took it away (once we asked) so we could walk around without tripping over the thing.

I know this isn't totally helpful, as it is not specific to Breakaway, but seeing as how the rooms really aren't any larger, it might give you an idea. I don't have any photos from prev. cruises to help you see the pack n play set up, but if you look at the photos of the mini suites and picture the size of a standard pack n play, you know there isn't much "wiggle" room there.

Thanks dcollette,

I wondered if there was a way to re-position the end tables and open the pack n play parallel to the bed? Probably not since they are most likely nailed down... but I wondered. ;)

We are on the breakaway now with our 14 month old.

You can go into the kids aqua park with babies with swimmer diapers.

There are some older kids there but the water is less than 1 foot high. It's a cute area and the water is heated. Matter of fact all of the pools are heated.

One recommendation I would give is to bring an umbrella stroller and not a larger stroller. We need to have the room stewards move their carts every time we need to pass them. The halls can be a bit narrow.

The crib is a standard pack and play. It's nice since they are all brand new. We even saw some come out of the box.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Mike

There are some older kids there but the water is less than 1 foot high. It's a cute area and the water is heated. Matter of fact all of the pools are heated.

One recommendation I would give is to bring an umbrella stroller and not a larger stroller. We need to have the room stewards move their carts every time we need to pass them. The halls can be a bit narrow.

The crib is a standard pack and play. It's nice since they are all brand new. We even saw some come out of the box.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Mike

Wow Mike! Thank you!!! That is great news. Was there a sign up saying the swim diapers is OK? One of the reasons we picked a newer ship was for the baby. Brand new Pack N Play is definitely a plus, so many of the older models are not up to new baby safety standards. Did you have to provide your own sheets for it? I told my boyfriend we are just bringing the umbrella stroller, great to know I was right. I have a million questions, will you do a review of the trip when you get back? Please? :o

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time! :D

Wow Mike! Thank you!!! That is great news. Was there a sign up saying the swim diapers is OK? One of the reasons we picked a newer ship was for the baby. Brand new Pack N Play is definitely a plus, so many of the older models are not up to new baby safety standards. Did you have to provide your own sheets for it? I told my boyfriend we are just bringing the umbrella stroller, great to know I was right. I have a million questions, will you do a review of the trip when you get back? Please? :o

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time! :D

Livemad-

Hello again! I am going to chime in about the stroller. On our last cruise (jewel class) I was on the fence between an umbrella stroller and a larger one. Ended up deciding on baby jogger city mini and it was absolutely perfect. It has a large canopy and fully reclined so at night our baby would lay down for bed in the stroller and we covered the canopy with a black cardigan and off we went to dinner (she is a great sleeper). It was perfect as we had no relatives on board to help out with her. She was comfy and we got to enjoy some nice dinners. If you got the umbrella route, try to find one that reclines- at least just a little. We had no issues with the hallways and the stroller.

I am also not convinced that diapered babies are officially allowed in the splash area for little kids. Norwegian is pretty strict on this although many often ignore the rules. I for one would be so happy if babies were really allowed in this area but I am not counting on it. Just because people were in there with babies in diapers doesn't mean that this is what the rule is (I hope I am not offending previous poster - I am sure there were in fact babies in the pool with diapers, just not sure if this is really "allowed"), so my previous advice stands. Get the duck pool-you will be so happy you did! Trust me. It's perfect to bring up onto the pool deck as well and your child can just play beside you.

Let us know i fyou have more questions! We might run into you on board!

Coffeecat

Livemad-

Hello again! I am going to chime in about the stroller. On our last cruise (jewel class) I was on the fence between an umbrella stroller and a larger one. Ended up deciding on baby jogger city mini and it was absolutely perfect. It has a large canopy and fully reclined so at night our baby would lay down for bed in the stroller and we covered the canopy with a black cardigan and off we went to dinner (she is a great sleeper). It was perfect as we had no relatives on board to help out with her. She was comfy and we got to enjoy some nice dinners. If you got the umbrella route, try to find one that reclines- at least just a little. We had no issues with the hallways and the stroller.

I am also not convinced that diapered babies are officially allowed in the splash area for little kids. Norwegian is pretty strict on this although many often ignore the rules. I for one would be so happy if babies were really allowed in this area but I am not counting on it. Just because people were in there with babies in diapers doesn't mean that this is what the rule is (I hope I am not offending previous poster - I am sure there were in fact babies in the pool with diapers, just not sure if this is really "allowed"), so my previous advice stands. Get the duck pool-you will be so happy you did! Trust me. It's perfect to bring up onto the pool deck as well and your child can just play beside you.

Let us know i fyou have more questions! We might run into you on board!

Coffeecat

Hello Coffeecat!

We are definitely getting a little inflatable pool, especially since they took out the tub in my mini-suite. I guess my hope was that they did that water filtration thing I've heard they have on the Oasis, and that diapers are allowed. Yes, yes, I know it may be a futile hope, but, today and up to the day of the cruise I shall be an eternal optimist!

The stroller thing, you put a wrench in my plans. My boyfriend is also arguing your point that if we take the bugaboo bee (very narrow nyc stroller) then our baby can nap while we roam and not get stuck in the room. We will probably change our minds 50 times before we actually leave on the cruise.

I really cannot wait! :D

Hello Coffeecat!

We are definitely getting a little inflatable pool, especially since they took out the tub in my mini-suite. I guess my hope was that they did that water filtration thing I've heard they have on the Oasis, and that diapers are allowed. Yes, yes, I know it may be a futile hope, but, today and up to the day of the cruise I shall be an eternal optimist!

The stroller thing, you put a wrench in my plans. My boyfriend is also arguing your point that if we take the bugaboo bee (very narrow nyc stroller) then our baby can nap while we roam and not get stuck in the room. We will probably change our minds 50 times before we actually leave on the cruise.

I really cannot wait! :D

I am also keeping my fingers crossed on the swim diapers being allowed in the kiddie pool!

I hate to tell u but your boyfriend is right. With a comfy stroller you will not be trapped in your cabin. When our baby was 8 months she slept all over the ship and was also super happy being pushed around while awake looking at everything. i forgot our stroller on one family trip and bought a cheap umbrella stroller at walmart and she hated that thing (and i did too!)

The only other thing u might want to consider is how u are getting around Bermuda as I think they only allow umbrella strollers on the bus system (we are bringing a car set and are going to taxi or use the buses just to get to horseshoe bay and back)). Honestly, I would just bring both of them get a cheapo one and check it through w your luggage and bring the bee. That looks like a perfect stroller for a cruise ship!

Also defiantly bring a baby carrier like a bjourn or something- we would go to the bars and have a drink and she sat there right along with us. I think she made more friends on the cruise than we did!!!

Anyway, good luck w your decision but my vote is for the bee!

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Mike

I am sorry but you are completely wrong about the Swim Diapers. :( I just got off of Breakaway.

If you are taking your baby into the pool then you are doing it against the posted rules. The OP was asking if Breakaway was like Oasis with the infant splash zone and the answer is NO it's not. For some reason - Norwegian has not made the steps to add an infant only splash area for kids in diapers.

Yes - people ignore the rules and take babies in diapers as they do on all other ships without an infant splash area.

Sorry OP - here is the posted sign at the splash park - no diapers

2FE0A428-C6AA-4CA7-860E-CC98904AEB70-3279-000001D30AB51E99.jpg

And here are the pages for the GUPPIES :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38469909&postcount=82

I am also keeping my fingers crossed on the swim diapers being allowed in the kiddie pool!

I hate to tell u but your boyfriend is right. With a comfy stroller you will not be trapped in your cabin. When our baby was 8 months she slept all over the ship and was also super happy being pushed around while awake looking at everything. i forgot our stroller on one family trip and bought a cheap umbrella stroller at walmart and she hated that thing (and i did too!)

The only other thing u might want to consider is how u are getting around Bermuda as I think they only allow umbrella strollers on the bus system (we are bringing a car set and are going to taxi or use the buses just to get to horseshoe bay and back)). Honestly, I would just bring both of them get a cheapo one and check it through w your luggage and bring the bee. That looks like a perfect stroller for a cruise ship!

Also defiantly bring a baby carrier like a bjourn or something- we would go to the bars and have a drink and she sat there right along with us. I think she made more friends on the cruise than we did!!!

Anyway, good luck w your decision but my vote is for the bee!

OMGosh, 2 strollers? AND a carseat?! I need a drink.... Where is my mojito! :D

I need to read a review of someone on the Breakaway with a baby... I know there are tiny little bits of info that can only be experienced to know about. Like do I need to bring painters tape to keep the drawers or closet doors closed so my little speed crawler doesn't get her fingers pinched.

BTW, I showed my packing list to my co-worker and got laughed at. :o

I am sorry but you are completely wrong about the Swim Diapers. :( I just got off of Breakaway.

If you are taking your baby into the pool then you are doing it against the posted rules. The OP was asking if Breakaway was like Oasis with the infant splash zone and the answer is NO it's not. For some reason - Norwegian has not made the steps to add an infant only splash area for kids in diapers.

Yes - people ignore the rules and take babies in diapers as they do on all other ships without an infant splash area.

Sorry OP - here is the posted sign at the splash park - no diapers

2FE0A428-C6AA-4CA7-860E-CC98904AEB70-3279-000001D30AB51E99.jpg

And here are the pages for the GUPPIES :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38469909&postcount=82

See, I knew it! I don't want CruisinMama to pop out of the nearest corner while on our cruise and scold me! lol :eek:

God Bless you and all your savvy baby tips! I love the guppy pages, Thank you! But, I wondered where the forward deck 16 room was and what it looked like. From the plans it looks more mid-ship than forward, unless I'm mistaken.

Where do you fall on the baby stroller conundrum? :rolleyes:

See, I knew it! I don't want CruisinMama to pop out of the nearest corner while on our cruise and scold me! lol :eek:

God Bless you and all your savvy baby tips! I love the guppy pages, Thank you! But, I wondered where the forward deck 16 room was and what it looked like. From the plans it looks more mid-ship than forward, unless I'm mistaken.

Where do you fall on the baby stroller conundrum? :rolleyes:

Hahaha! Actually I would never scold any parent on a cruise who had a baby in a diaper in the splash pools. Generally they are there because A) the signs are so small and who really reads the signs anyway? B) Crew members have told them they can be there (I have personally witnessed this one on Gem)

I WILL scold a parent when they knock the ice creams out of their teenagers hands - all THREE of them onto the floor. And then stands back as a crew member scurries to fall to her knees to clean it up! GRrrrrr I was mad that day.

Anyway - stroller - make sure you bring one that reclines and has a little bit of space underneath to store some things.

IN BERMUDA - large strollers are "frowned upon" on their buses. So if you plan on getting around using the bus/ferry system (which I recommend) - then you want a lightweight stroller that can fold to a pretty slim size.

So if your stroller that you use in New York does all of that - bring it ;)

And I know I saw a picture of the "forward deck 16" area - if I find it - I will post it. I never made it there myself.

Hahaha! Actually I would never scold any parent on a cruise who had a baby in a diaper in the splash pools. Generally they are there because A) the signs are so small and who really reads the signs anyway? B) Crew members have told them they can be there (I have personally witnessed this one on Gem)

I WILL scold a parent when they knock the ice creams out of their teenagers hands - all THREE of them onto the floor. And then stands back as a crew member scurries to fall to her knees to clean it up! GRrrrrr I was mad that day.

Anyway - stroller - make sure you bring one that reclines and has a little bit of space underneath to store some things.

IN BERMUDA - large strollers are "frowned upon" on their buses. So if you plan on getting around using the bus/ferry system (which I recommend) - then you want a lightweight stroller that can fold to a pretty slim size.

So if your stroller that you use in New York does all of that - bring it ;)

And I know I saw a picture of the "forward deck 16" area - if I find it - I will post it. I never made it there myself.

Thank you so much!

Yes, we are planning to take the bus, especially since I just added my nephew on the trip and that makes 7 of us. (starts sweating and avoiding the credit card)

I think I need to buy a new stroller. The umbrella stroller does not recline and the Bugaboo bee does not fold easily. (drops head on desk and groans but doesn't look at the credit card)

Thank you so much!

Yes, we are planning to take the bus, especially since I just added my nephew on the trip and that makes 7 of us. (starts sweating and avoiding the credit card)

I think I need to buy a new stroller. The umbrella stroller does not recline and the Bugaboo bee does not fold easily. (drops head on desk and groans but doesn't look at the credit card)

NOOOO!!!! The bee is PERFECT for a cruise ship!!!! I actually didn't know about this stroller and watched a video the other night when I saw your previous post. It is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT-trust me.

I don't have experience with the bus lines, but cruisinmomma is a wealth of info and she would not give bad advice-it just sounds like you need one that folds down to a relatively compact size which yours does for sure. The fact that it doesn't fold "easily" isn't an issue-just as long as it folds. You don't need a car seat if you are doing the buses. Also, if you want to be safe, buy a $15 umbrella stroller at Walmart or Target and check that through just in case you can't get on the buses with the Bee...it sounds like you won't have an issue though so I would just bring the bee.

You don't need packing tape. The only things you "need" are diapers/wipes, bottles/sippy cups, a bottle brush, and lotions (diaper rash ointment) and potions (tylenol/benadryl etc), and a baby blanket! And sunscreen! And some clothes, of course,-but baby clothes are small. Bring some socks, pants and sweaters/cardigans-it is cold in the ship. With all this stuff you will be set. And the duck tub and a beach pail-but it sounds like you have that covered already ;). It sounds like a lot but really you can pack everything you will need for your child in one large suitcase.

Is this your first cruise?

Coffeecat

Folds "easily" isn't a problem - coffeecat is absolutely correct. If it folds to a compact size - BRING IT! And certainly I wouldn't go buy another one.

You have enough time to fold your stroller at the stops. The buses come pretty regularly so if you miss one - there is another on its way.

NOOOO!!!! The bee is PERFECT for a cruise ship!!!! I actually didn't know about this stroller and watched a video the other night when I saw your previous post. It is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT-trust me.

I don't have experience with the bus lines, but cruisinmomma is a wealth of info and she would not give bad advice-it just sounds like you need one that folds down to a relatively compact size which yours does for sure. The fact that it doesn't fold "easily" isn't an issue-just as long as it folds. You don't need a car seat if you are doing the buses. Also, if you want to be safe, buy a $15 umbrella stroller at Walmart or Target and check that through just in case you can't get on the buses with the Bee...it sounds like you won't have an issue though so I would just bring the bee.

You don't need packing tape. The only things you "need" are diapers/wipes, bottles/sippy cups, a bottle brush, and lotions (diaper rash ointment) and potions (tylenol/benadryl etc), and a baby blanket! And sunscreen! And some clothes, of course,-but baby clothes are small. Bring some socks, pants and sweaters/cardigans-it is cold in the ship. With all this stuff you will be set. And the duck tub and a beach pail-but it sounds like you have that covered already ;). It sounds like a lot but really you can pack everything you will need for your child in one large suitcase.

Is this your first cruise?

Coffeecat

Oh that is good news. We do love that Bugaboo Bee and she always falls asleep in it, I can even change her diaper in it because it reclines flat. Thank you!

I've got all that stuff on my packing list but still need to buy some of it. Like the inflatable tub and the beach pail. This will be our 3rd cruise but the first vacation with a baby. I'm a new mom. :o

Folds "easily" isn't a problem - coffeecat is absolutely correct. If it folds to a compact size - BRING IT! And certainly I wouldn't go buy another one.

You have enough time to fold your stroller at the stops. The buses come pretty regularly so if you miss one - there is another on its way.

The car seat we have also attaches to the bugaboo bee so it would just be a matter of changing out the seat. Thank you. :)

Have you seen some of the reviews, there seems to be plenty of babies on board.:D Sorry couldn't help it. Hope everything works out for you.

I've been reading reviews yes, I'm addicted, but have not read any with babies specifically on Breakaway yet.

Ok.....strollers... We leave for breakaway on Sunday we have a 3 yo and 18 mo. Neither use strollers at all at home but I know they will on the cruise. Problem is at home they both use buggy cars. Hubby wants to bring on travel stroller and one "whisper rider II" buggy. I get it son loves the buggy but then we can't fold it up, can't take it on a bus, he can't sleep in it he can't get a diaper change in it etc. so do I enforce we bring 2 travel strollers and leave the buggy? Take one stroller and the buggy or just take 1 stroller and make one kid walk or be carried as needed????

Archived