how is the pizza and ice cream on rccl

uncleboo

Pizza....depends! On most ship's it's passable. On ships with Sorrentos'...it's better than average.

Soft-serve "ice cream" is frozen yogurt....it's yogurt...frozen. They have REAL ice cream in the dining room for dessert nightly.....get your "fix" there.

Cookies abound....try them all!

• 2 weeks later...

This is slightly off topic, but we have little good to say about either the Pizza or ice cream on RCI which is just a small part of why we prefer other cruise lines. For the best pizza at sea you want to cruise on any Princess ship where they make excellent hand made pizza. This is a tradition they adopted years ago when they aquired the old Italian staffed Sitmar Lines which had real pizza parlors on their ships. As to ice cream we think the best is on Celebrity (owned by RCI) where they make all their ice cream onboard. As to RCI, well many will tell you about their frozen yogurt (its pretty good) which is simply machine made from a standard mix. But when folks call machine made frozen yogurt the best "ice cream" on board it tell you a lot about the ice cream :).

Hank

As to RCI, well many will tell you about their frozen yogurt (its pretty good) which is simply machine made from a standard mix. But when folks call machine made frozen yogurt the best "ice cream" on board it tell you a lot about the ice cream :).

I didn't even touch the soft serve machine... I personally do not consider that ice cream. I love my full cream rich flavored ice cream far too much. I'm lucky to be in town with an exceptional ice cream company, Jeni's. She's starting to get much national recognition for her unique flavors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
hi do they have soft serve on rccl?

do they have cookies too?

how is there pizza?

you see i am a cruise foodie

As much as I loved everything about my last cruise on RCCL's Navigator OTS, the pizza was probably the biggest disappointment. Seriously.....IT IS TERRIBLE. Whether it be at the Cafe Promenade, or in the Windjammer.... just horrible pizza. I was quite shocked to be honest. Pizza seems like it would be such and easy thing to get right, and such a common thing for your guests to "grab and go.".... Even the fanciest of pizzas can not be that big of an expense at the quantities they purchase. To me, the quality of pizza was so poor, it really made me question how management would allow such low a grade of product to be distributed to the masses. I would take ANY frozen Digorno pizza over an RCCL pizza.

To be fair, I have heard that the new on board pizza chain (Sorrento's?) available on Oasis and Allure is a big improvement, if not at least step in the right direction. However, I have no personal experience with it as of yet.

Navigator OTS had good cookies.... not that I was going cookie crazy or anything. Any good ol' soft serve available most of the time. If you wanted better ice cream, you could get Ben and Jerry's ice cream (for a fee) pretty much any time at the Cafe Promenade.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On our Enchantment cruise in April, there were delicious cookies starting at lunch time through the evening meal at the Windjammer........plus, if you ate at the Windjammer for dinner (or even just to go and get some) they had delicious REAL ICE CREAM being dished out by one of the staff.......very, very yummy:)

We didn't eat any pizza........

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Liberty Of The Seas this past February and I loved the pizza. Mind you its not NY or Chicago, but for a cruise ship it was really good. In fact, late every night I used to take a walk when my wife went to bed. I would stop at Sorrentos every time..sometimes twice! The guys there got to know me so well they usually had my slice waiting for me when I got there. My wife had a slice of veggie and she said it was great. I usually stuck with cheese or pepperoni.

I just got off Rhapsody of the Seas. I usually enjoy the pizza and ice cream machine on most cruises and I've been on many. This pizza was like store brand frozen pizza. A brand named frozen pizza would have been an improvement. The ice cream machine was as expected except it closed down at 9:00 pm which surprised me since I expected it to be open for late night. Unfortunately I only had it once due to the limited hours. Park Cafe food was fantastic with a daily carving station, made to order salads and really nice pastries.

Pizza - From the Cafe tastes kind of like frozen pizza. Better than Carnival but not as good as Princess.

Ice cream - Yes there are soft serve machines and we enjoy them :)

Cookies - They are decent I guess, wait for the chocolate chip to come out. Still not as good as Princess fresh baked ones with glasses of milk.

Pictures if you'd like: http://www.cruisefoods.com/index.php?ship=voyager_of_the_seas

Archived