Bed bugs..

ksavitz1

This is the policy

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/09/01/do-you-have-a-detection-and-treatment-plan-for-bedbugs.aspx

DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF BEDBUGS

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage. Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs. All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section. Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months. When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

This is a post from someone that found one.

I'm bumping this thread because we were on the 5/14 Miracle sailing and found a bedbug in the cabin. We had bites - everyday a little worse, but didn't know what they were until we found the bedbug. We found it on the coverlet after the steward made the beds one morning. I captured it in a bathroom glass and took it to guest services.

I have to say they really made me mad at first 1) the steward tried to accidentally shake the bug to the carpet when I showed him 2) at first they would only admit that it was an insect and 3) they were off loading mattresses by the dozens from floor 5 and 6 so I feel they knew something was amiss.

I never asked for a thing but I had been very upset and demanded they at least own up to the fact that it was a bedbug so no one else would be affected. They brought a ship's exterminator to the cabin who did then confirm it was a bedbug.

We went to port and let them do an investigation. The mattresses were all new when we returned to the room.

One of the officers talked to us upon returning to the ship. She said they hadn't found anymore bugs but were very sorry for the experience. They would move us to a different cabin, launder all of our clothes and treat our luggage. We could see the ships dr. at no charge for the bites if we wished and they would refund 100% of the cruise fare.

I believe there was probably an outbreak on both floors because of the number of mattresses they were swapping out and the lack of shock from any of the employees.

It was very unnerving to say the least and I'm very thankful they had another cabin to move us to or I think I would have slept on deck. I'm still scared and hope I didn't bring them home. We took all of our clothes to a laundromat when we got home and ran them for 30 min on high heat on the advice from an exterminator. He is coming to treat our luggage next week which is still in the garage. Fingers crossed.

My father had them on the Maasdam about 5 years ago. They moved him and did a great job fumigating and cleaning his luggage and clothing. It is becoming a horrible problem and ships are not immune. If Carnival has a written policy then they have had a problem. It just may not have been publicized.

This is the policy

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/09/01/do-you-have-a-detection-and-treatment-plan-for-bedbugs.aspx

DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF BEDBUGS

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage. Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs. All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section. Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months. When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

This is a post from someone that found one.

Carnival often off loads and DONATES their used mattresses to different countries in the Caribbean. I have been on several ships when they were doing this.......and I expect that is what you observed with the off loading of the mattresses......

As an arthropod enthusiast, I've found that most people misidentify the pests that annoy them. And they worry needlessly about the creatures that are generally harmless.

Some bug bites, as well as plant toxins and even jelly fish or other seabourne toxins, don't become apparent until later. If you return from an outing on the beach, or mounds, or jungle and you feel strangely itchy, the least likely answer is bedbugs. Midges (sand fleas, sand flies, or no-see-ums) are notorious for leaving lots of tiny bites. Biting flies are also extremely common in tropical and subtropical areas, not to mention nearly every other spot on earth. Fleas from local dogs are yet another issue, as are ticks. And then there are the pesky little ants...

All of these creatures may be carried back from port, and if they've staked territory in your sock or pants, you'll keep getting bitten until they're gone.

Unfortunately for much maligned spiders and various bees and wasps, while some of them may bite and/or sting (different organs involved in these attacks), they are rarely the cause of the red bumps that we discover here or there on our bodies. Sometimes, it's simply a small infection, perhaps a tiny sliver of wood or metal, or plain old acne.

Given the odds against bed bugs being the cause of bites on a tropical vacation, I have some compassion for ship workers who have to deal with a shrieking guest who wants something done about the bites they've probably picked up on an excursion.

As an arthropod enthusiast, I've found that most people misidentify the pests that annoy them. And they worry needlessly about the creatures that are generally harmless.

Some bug bites, as well as plant toxins and even jelly fish or other seabourne toxins, don't become apparent until later. If you return from an outing on the beach, or mounds, or jungle and you feel strangely itchy, the least likely answer is bedbugs. Midges (sand fleas, sand flies, or no-see-ums) are notorious for leaving lots of tiny bites. Biting flies are also extremely common in tropical and subtropical areas, not to mention nearly every other spot on earth. Fleas from local dogs are yet another issue, as are ticks. And then there are the pesky little ants...

All of these creatures may be carried back from port, and if they've staked territory in your sock or pants, you'll keep getting bitten until they're gone.

Unfortunately for much maligned spiders and various bees and wasps, while some of them may bite and/or sting (different organs involved in these attacks), they are rarely the cause of the red bumps that we discover here or there on our bodies. Sometimes, it's simply a small infection, perhaps a tiny sliver of wood or metal, or plain old acne.

Given the odds against bed bugs being the cause of bites on a tropical vacation, I have some compassion for ship workers who have to deal with a shrieking guest who wants something done about the bites they've probably picked up on an excursion.

A while back, some dude named Timmer alleged that he had bed bugs and Carnival wouldn't do anything about it... Even posted a pic of a bedbug in a glass... I reposted it a couple times as a joke in subsequent threads... Who knows if we should believe him... His review was less than complete. If you search my post history, you will find the pic out there somewhere.

Dont the bed bugs attach themselves to yuor luggage and some cruisers stay at some less than perfect hotels:eek:

Personally after 40+ years staying in hotels I have never seen them and never on a cruise ship(30+ cruises)

Dont the bed bugs attach themselves to yuor luggage and some cruisers stay at some less than perfect hotels:eek:

Personally after 40 years staying hotels I have never seen them and never on a cruise ship(30+ cruises)

Not Carnival cruisers... With all these Platinums that I keep reading about with their fancy parties and their ability to skip tender lines, I would think that most Carnival cruisers would be frequenting more reputable establishments like the fountain bleu or the 4 seasons.

Not Carnival cruisers... With all these Platinums that I keep reading about with their fancy parties and their ability to skip tender lines, I would think that most Carnival cruisers would be frequenting more reputable establishments like the fountain bleu or the 4 seasons.

But since your in Texas those that you talk about must be staying at the Galvez/Tremont or the San Luis;)

Should I check my bags from the Harbor house since Im platinum also:DJK

A while back, some dude named Timmer alleged that he had bed bugs and Carnival wouldn't do anything about it... Even posted a pic of a bedbug in a glass... I reposted it a couple times as a joke in subsequent threads... Who knows if we should believe him... His review was less than complete. If you search my post history, you will find the pic out there somewhere.

With the frequent cleanings and the changing of the bed coverings between cruises, I'm skeptical of these bedbug claims. Possible, but not likely, and probably not an innocent encounter. The most likely carrier is the complaining passenger, in my opinion. Also, it seems like a nice and very easy scam if somebody is trying to get some kind of compensation. Just bring them with you in a small package, then throw a tantrum with the "evidence" at hand.

Working as a motel desk clerk when I was in college, I had numerous guests who would check in, use the shower to get cleaned up, then come back screaming about cockroaches. They got their refunds and went happily on their way after getting a free use of our facilities. The alleged cockroaches never appeared during thorough room searches.

Our room steward found our bed bugs while we were at port one day. We were notified immediately upon re-boarding the ship. We were moved to a new room, given free laundry, 50% of our cruise fare back and a 50% off future cruise certificate. There is more details below in my Carnival Freedom review. It hasn't prevented me from cruising with Carnival at all.

We checked into a hotel near Port Canaveral. Went to our room to check it out. Pulled back the mattress and seen bed bugs. Went back to the desk and told the clerk that there were bed bugs and we would like to get a refund. She said that we are in Florida and you have to expect bugs. We said that we can appreciate that but we dont want them in our bed. She got rather offensive and said that we would probably be more satisfied in the newer more expensive hotels across the freeway. We went across the freeway and got a nicer room plus more amenities for $30 more per night, no bed bugs, very nice lobby, great hospitality room, no musty odor, and a better breakfast.

We no longer stay at that chain and it was on that we frequented at the time and because of that incident it exposed us to the other chain that we now always look for when traveling and stay at when sailing out of Port Canaveral.

We checked into a hotel near Port Canaveral. Went to our room to check it out. Pulled back the mattress and seen bed bugs. Went back to the desk and told the clerk that there were bed bugs and we would like to get a refund. She said that we are in Florida and you have to expect bugs. We said that we can appreciate that but we dont want them in our bed. She got rather offensive and said that we would probably be more satisfied in the newer more expensive hotels across the freeway. We went across the freeway and got a nicer room plus more amenities for $30 more per night, no bed bugs, very nice lobby, great hospitality room, no musty odor, and a better breakfast.

We no longer stay at that chain and it was on that we frequented at the time and because of that incident it exposed us to the other chain that we now always look for when traveling and stay at when sailing out of Port Canaveral.

AND????????

What chain was that ???????????????

Our room steward found our bed bugs while we were at port one day. We were notified immediately upon re-boarding the ship. We were moved to a new room, given free laundry, 50% of our cruise fare back and a 50% off future cruise certificate. There is more details below in my Carnival Freedom review. It hasn't prevented me from cruising with Carnival at all.

What a great review - good info!

Carnival often off loads and DONATES their used mattresses to different countries in the Caribbean. I have been on several ships when they were doing this.......and I expect that is what you observed with the off loading of the mattresses......

Not sure the ones we witnessed were headed anyware but the dump, unless their mode of mattress-transport is a dumpster:rolleyes:

There have been a few threads i remember reading and also seeing some TV shows on this issue.

In Europe in the safe days and on the beach in my beloved Oregon, i have stayed in some funkey one star and 'safe flea bag' places in my 20's to be able to do anything...

I feel very lucky..once had the bites but no other problem and ignorance was bliss and had no more issues... and it definitely was from the mattress at the beach before i checked out and walked on the beach..once I had them and they do not discriminate..and this was before i learned about all the other issues that can be had (God saved me and ignorance was bliss).

Now the problem has been increasing in nice hotels..a couple of years back..a lot in NYC but of course because it is the US's proud melting pot and a huge heavily world wide traveled place.

Comforted to read these policies...Sarah

Archived