Malaria preventive meds

islandwoman

My Travel Vaccination Consultant advised me to take anti-malaria medication for my cruise down the Amazon. She told me not to take Chloroquine because it isn't effective for the Amazon basin. My other choices are Malarone (Atovaquone/Proguanil), Doxycycline, and Larium (Mefloquine).

I have to talk to my doctor about them next week. None of them sound like a lot of fun to me. I'd like to hear from those of you who have taken them, about your experiences. Of course I don't want to get malaria, but I don't want to spend the cruise sick, either. By the way, I'm a mosquito magnet. Even covered with deed, they'll find a way to get me.

event.png

Having travelled to Kenya a lot we have had to take malaria preventative precautions - unfortunately the two different tablets we have tried have both made us ill. A few years ago we could buy these medicines over the counter - now you have to have a private prescription from your doctor - and it soon adds to the cost of the holiday. Now when we go to Kenya we don't bother with the tablets - and use as many deterants as possible - so far it has worked - we are not Mossi magnets tho!! There are some good jungle formula wipes on the market - wipe these on exposed areas - sprays with citron in them are good - and cover up. Check out the medicines very carefully as there are a lot of side effects with each of them.

Every person responds differently to meds, so I wouldn't venture to guess which would be best for each person. The only comment I wanted to make regarding your list is that Doxycycline is a sun sensitive drug and you have be be extremely careful when going near the sun. Most doctors, even for a regular antibiotic will try to use it in the winter months but not the summer.

Malarone is the one that most travel clinics use. Some have trouble with it, some don't. We always see a doctor that specializes in travel medicine before any of these far away ventures and she tends give you the pros and cons of meds, tell you which ones are required and which ones are only recommended. Then you decide from there. Good luck to you and have a WONDERFUL time.

Cathy

Archived