Blackbeard or Tortuga rum cake?

rcprncss

Which rum cake do you prefer? Tortuga or Blackbeard?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which rum cake do you prefer? Tortuga or Blackbeard?

• Tortuga
    • Blackbeard

Hi..

My husband flies to the Cayman Islands a lot and always brings home Tortuga Rum Cakes...all different flavors. I certainly have no complaints about them! I just told him about the Blackbeards, so I think he will look for those next time... just to see the difference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there a max number of cakes you can bring back?

No.

If fact, Rum Cakes are considered much like a local handicraft and do not count against your US$400 per person customs exemption. You can take back as many as you want to carry or ship.

No.

If fact, Rum Cakes are considered much like a local handicraft and do not count against your US$400 per person customs exemption. You can take back as many as you want to carry or ship.

Great! Thanks for the reply

We like them all! But Tortuga doesn't have our favorite rum raisin flavor, which Blackbeard's carries. On our first cruise, we walked from the tender dock at Grand Cayman to a small store that had Blackbeard's rum cakes. They had all the flavors out for sampling, and they are the ones who had the "buy 6 small, get a large free" deal. I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the store, but as I recall, it was almost directly in front of the pier but not on the main street. I'm going next month and will give you specific info then. You can buy the Tortuga rum cakes on the dock in Montego Bay, as well as on the ship. You can also order them online. Google Tortuga rum cakes.

• 5 weeks later...

We have had both and I think they are equal in flavor. What I would suggest that you try at Tortuga's is their Cream Rum....It comes in a Leopard fabric bottle and it is so good that every time we go I get at least two bottles of it. Its great just poured over crushed ice. We're going back again in January

How expensive are these cakes? TIA!

I think the small ones are around $9 each but they also offer them in packages of 3 which are a little less. You can get the larger ones but I don't remember what the price was. Either way you get them, they are a "must try" because they are delicious. Tortuga and Blackbeards both always have samples of their cakes in all flavors for tasting. While you are in Grand Cayman you should also get some Jerk seasoning spices. Really good. I have heard that their coffee, I think its Blue Mountain is supposed to be good but the last time we were there last summer, it was like $18 a pound so I passed on that. I got more of the Cream Rum instead...that is also another drink you really should try at Tortuga. Its a cream rum...comes in a Leopard fabric bottle. You can also get it in coffee flavor....gotta try that. I always bring home at least 2 bottles and you Cannot get it on the ship.

We sampled both Blackbeard and then Tortuga.....Blackbeards cakes taste better to us. We both these while in Grand Cayman! Yummy. My favorite is the coconut!

Was there a place near the pier to buy these? If so, was it pretty easy to find? Thanks!

There is a Blackbeards right next to Margaritaville in Cayman. Really not hard to find. Just look for the big Margaritaville Sign across the street from where the Tenders drop you off.

Joanne

Archived