Child "management" on Disney

baadbee

We haven't cruised before but my DW is of the opinion that Disney can be a good line for people without kids because of the designated adult only areas and their excellent child "management". I'm more skeptical and inclined to think that another line like HAL or Princess might suit us better. We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.

Specifically I am thinking of the Disney repo 6 day cruise from Vancouver to LA on September 10th. Would the kid volume for that timing and itinerary be so low that it's not really a factor?

If you've cruised multiple lines without kids let me know whether you think Disney is good for childless, and occasionally irritable :), couples. Do their efforts to provide facilities for kids actually make them better than say NCL even when there are more kids on board?

We haven't cruised before but my DW is of the opinion that Disney can be a good line for people without kids because of the designated adult only areas and their excellent child "management". I'm more skeptical and inclined to think that another line like HAL or Princess might suit us better. We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.

Specifically I am thinking of the Disney repo 6 day cruise from Vancouver to LA on September 10th. Would the kid volume for that timing and itinerary be so low that it's not really a factor?

If you've cruised multiple lines without kids let me know whether you think Disney is good for childless, and occasionally irritable :), couples. Do their efforts to provide facilities for kids actually make them better than say NCL even when there are more kids on board?

We've done 5 cruises on DCL. First 3 just DH & I. Last 2 with our "kids" - also adults.

While we tend to cruise mostly the longer, during schooltime cruises, there have been children on all our cruises. The kids have never really been a problem. The worst time we had was on our Dec MR cruise with a Kids Sail Free promo. There were LOTS of kids. And they only were a problem at the show in the main theatre. Lots of kids and no parents in attendance.

The adult-only areas onboard are enforced. Better (from my understanding) then some other cruiseline adult-only areas. On our last cruise we had our 18 year old with us. They "carded" him for the first 3 days in the adult pool area until they got to know him. I've seen under 18s asked to leave the adult only clubs. And there was a group of (my estimate) 12-13 year olds who attempted to take up residence in the hot tub at the adult pool. CM was there immediatly directing them to the family pool area.

:)

What Shmoo said. We've cruised twice with teenage children and the other five times by our selves. On an eastern itinerary, we changed from St. Thomas to Nassau due to storm activity. I wasn't interested in Nassau and decided to stay on board. I had the adult pool to myself for a while, when all of a sudden, a man showed up with his two young boys. No sooner did they get in the pool, than a uniformed CM cam and politely told them they weren't allowed. I've never seen children in adult areas where they don't belong at the pool or in the clubs.

We've done 5 cruises on DCL. First 3 just DH & I. Last 2 with our "kids" - also adults.

While we tend to cruise mostly the longer, during schooltime cruises, there have been children on all our cruises. The kids have never really been a problem. The worst time we had was on our Dec MR cruise with a Kids Sail Free promo. There were LOTS of kids. And they only were a problem at the show in the main theatre. Lots of kids and no parents in attendance.

The adult-only areas onboard are enforced. Better (from my understanding) then some other cruiseline adult-only areas. On our last cruise we had our 18 year old with us. They "carded" him for the first 3 days in the adult pool area until they got to know him. I've seen under 18s asked to leave the adult only clubs. And there was a group of (my estimate) 12-13 year olds who attempted to take up residence in the hot tub at the adult pool. CM was there immediatly directing them to the family pool area.

This!:D

I took a Carnival Cruise out of Baltimore last summer. The weather was a bit chilly so the "all ages" hot tub became the pool for the younger set. There were kids in there with swim rings and water wings. It was impossible to use with any expectation for relaxing. That said, they were VERY good about enforcing the no kids rules in the adults only section at the back of the ship.

We're going on a cruise this November and chose to go two weeks before Thanksgiving with the hope that it a bit less kid-heavy. I've got two kids myself who are now older teens. Ever since they were small, I've pushed the "have fun, but don't deprive other people of having fun" manifesto on them; I wish more parents would do the same. We never cruised DM as the idea of a cruise that caters to kids gives me chills.

I took a Carnival Cruise out of Baltimore last summer. The weather was a bit chilly so the "all ages" hot tub became the pool for the younger set. There were kids in there with swim rings and water wings. It was impossible to use with any expectation for relaxing. That said, they were VERY good about enforcing the no kids rules in the adults only section at the back of the ship.

We're going on a cruise this November and chose to go two weeks before Thanksgiving with the hope that it a bit less kid-heavy. I've got two kids myself who are now older teens. Ever since they were small, I've pushed the "have fun, but don't deprive other people of having fun" manifesto on them; I wish more parents would do the same. We never cruised DM as the idea of a cruise that caters to kids gives me chills.

I'm sorry you feel that way. As someone who has cruise DCL several times, I find they don't cater just to the kids. There's plenty for adults to do, also. As I said, we've done 5 DCL cruises, and we still haven't done everything that's available to be done onboard.

Although Disney does a good job keeping the kids out of the adult areas and keeping the kids very occupied, you could certainly find cruises with way less kids.

My dad loves to cruise Disney and enjoys all the adult areas. He cruised Princess in Sept NY to Canada. He said there was only a handful of kids on the ship. He prefers Disney service to Princess, but as for no kids it was the way to go.

The itinerary you picked might be a good choice with less kids.

My concern for you might be entertainment. If you are not big Disney fans, you may not enjoy the shows. There is lots of things for adults to do, but the theatrical shows are Disney themed. I love them! But I am a Disney fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've cruised three lines, four ships. We had our son with us for some of the cruises, but he was always too old to really qualify as a "kid."

On the Disney Magic we almost never saw the kids. It was liked they had been swept into some time warp. The adult areas were kept blissfully adult.

On the RCCL Mariner the kids were every where and out of control.

On the Disney Dream there was a slightly larger kid presence than we found on the Magic, but possibly because it was a shorter cruise and we didn't make Castaway due to weather, so everyone was a little restless.

On the Windstar Wind Surf there wasn't a single kid.

While we aren't ruling out cruising DCL again, it's going to be a long time from now. The itineraries are pretty much "been there, done that" and we'd rather be on a much smaller ship for Europe and Alaska for any number of reasons.

If we were inclined to go back to the Caribbean, we'd absolutely consider DCL though.

That time of year, most schools are back in session so there would be less kids. I disagree about DCL doing a good job at patrolling the adult areas. Every DCL cruise I've been on, there have been kids in the adult pool and in the adult coffee cafe. Strollers, kids with swimmies etc. DCL isn't going to press the issue because it may irk paying customers. Unless the the itinerary is just something that you have to do, I would personally look at other lines.

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't made up my mind. I'm considering this as a way to get to LA without flying since the DW hates it. We've driven and taken the train but I was suprised how affordable the repo cruises are. The 3 day Princess (or was it NCL?) was less than $100 a day and comparable to the cost of driving when you factor in meals at decent restaurants and a motel stay. I've done that west coast long distance drive about 6 times now, I think I'm done. DCL is in the picture because of a great itinerary with a two day stop in San Francisco, the only available west coast port that really interests me. It's a 6 day so more of a real addition to the holiday rather than just transport. As for other possible ports, I've driven through Astoria OR plenty of times, nice enough little town but it's like devoting a cruise day to the next town over from where you live...

The main choice is a quicky 3 day with no stops or 6 days on DCL and possible kiddy annoyance (I'm probably overstating that).

That time of year, most schools are back in session so there would be less kids. I disagree about DCL doing a good job at patrolling the adult areas. Every DCL cruise I've been on, there have been kids in the adult pool and in the adult coffee cafe. Strollers, kids with swimmies etc. DCL isn't going to press the issue because it may irk paying customers. Unless the the itinerary is just something that you have to do, I would personally look at other lines.

We didn't see any of that on our DCL cruises, in fact just the opposite. DCL staff we very proactive about keeping kids out of the adults areas. The exception was kids cutting through the adult pool area on the Dream. Not hanging around, but cutting through. They need to be more proactive about resolving that issue for sure.

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't made up my mind. I'm considering this as a way to get to LA without flying since the DW hates it. We've driven and taken the train but I was suprised how affordable the repo cruises are. The 3 day Princess (or was it NCL?) was less than $100 a day and comparable to the cost of driving when you factor in meals at decent restaurants and a motel stay. I've done that west coast long distance drive about 6 times now, I think I'm done. DCL is in the picture because of a great itinerary with a two day stop in San Francisco, the only available west coast port that really interests me. It's a 6 day so more of a real addition to the holiday rather than just transport. As for other possible ports, I've driven through Astoria OR plenty of times, nice enough little town but it's like devoting a cruise day to the next town over from where you live...

The main choice is a quicky 3 day with no stops or 6 days on DCL and possible kiddy annoyance (I'm probably overstating that).

You could try NCL, they have Jewel and Pearl going to LA late Sept. Generally speaking would be less kids. Did this route a couple years ago and only about 60 kids in total on NCL.

Funny....4 dcl cruises and never had a problem with the kids. In fact the folks we were with the last trip on the magic remarked how great the CM's were in politely keeping the adult areas, adult!

AKK

Funny....4 dcl cruises and never had a problem with the kids. In fact the folks we were with the last trip on the magic remarked how great the CM's were in politely keeping the adult areas' date=' adult!

AKK[/quote']

Funny indeed.....I've seen kids camped out with toys in the cove cafe while the parents chat in chairs. I've seen older kids (10-13) swimming and sunning by the adult pool. Not one CM in sight. They definitely could improve this.

We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.

We are a younger version of you. We've done DCL twice and have booked another. I have very little patience for kids in adult places. I don't go to the kids club because I don't belong there. They don't belong in my adult area.

I haven't been disappointed on DCL. Stunning job.

Funny indeed.....I've seen kids camped out with toys in the cove cafe while the parents chat in chairs. I've seen older kids (10-13) swimming and sunning by the adult pool. Not one CM in sight. They definitely could improve this.

You should've grabbed a CM. They are well-trained on handling this and should do so immediately.

We didn't see any of that on our DCL cruises, in fact just the opposite. DCL staff we very proactive about keeping kids out of the adults areas. The exception was kids cutting through the adult pool area on the Dream. Not hanging around, but cutting through. They need to be more proactive about resolving that issue for sure.

We're an older couple who just finished our 13th DCL cruise, one with our son and his family, all the others were just the two of us.

Only once in all of those cruises have we ever seen a child in the adult pool, and a CM was there to handle the situation before the child was fully wet! We've never seen them at the Cove Cafe or in any areas around the pool, other than just passing through. On Dream that's a problem, but it's due to the layout of the ship, and the CM's just keep the families moving along. On Magic, some families do use the forward elevators and then have to walk through the adult area, but I've never seen anyone lingering.

I'm sure there are some cruises where there have been problems with kids in adult areas, but we've been fortunate enough not to have run into them. As long as DCL can keep things this way, we'll continue to enjoy our DCL cruises.

Beth

We put our daughter in the kids club, actually she puts herself there, she loves it and me and the wife go hang out at the adult only pool area, I cannot remember ever having an issue or seeing an issue. Yes, you may see families walking thru the area if the took the elevator to the topside area and walk back to where they r looking for but that is not really a problem in my mind, people and kids should be able to walk thru an area, more of a design flaw... Yes, I have seen kids that know their parents are at adult pool go in to ask them something or whatever, again, hardly a problem. Are the parents not supposed to hang out in the adult pool because some ppl will get annoyed if their kids come in there looking for them ?? They do a good job at policing and making sure the kids are not in the adult areas hanging out !!! Do you walk thru the kids areas to get someplace on the ship ?? Go on your cruise, let the cruise line worry about policing adult areas and have a great time...

Sorry, but I just find that very difficult to believe. I've been on DCL seven times and have never seen kids in the adult pool. From all the years of following the DIS boards, I've never heard any witnesses to kids in the adult pool.

Sorry, but I just find that very difficult to believe. I've been on DCL seven times and have never seen kids in the adult pool. From all the years of following the DIS boards, I've never heard any witnesses to kids in the adult pool.

I'm not all that worried about it either way, but I don't appreciate you calling me out about it though. I know what I saw, I was there and you weren't. If you didn't see them on your cruise that's fine. I did, on more than one occasion. I don't see the Disboard as true objective resources either.

You should've grabbed a CM. They are well-trained on handling this and should do so immediately.

Agreed. It's just something I won't tolerate. I don't dislike kids, but I do dislike ignorant parents who think that rules don't apply to them or their children.

This seems like a good place to ask, does DCL do a good job at matching dining companions? Will they place adult couples with no children at the same tables with families or will they make up adult only tables?

This seems like a good place to ask, does DCL do a good job at matching dining companions? Will they place adult couples with no children at the same tables with families or will they make up adult only tables?

They seem to do a good job. Choose late seating for the best chance of a childfree table.

We think so. So far, we've only had 2 tables where we were seated with others not in our party. First cruise (DH & I) we were at an 8 top with 3 other couples within 5-10 years of our ages. Second cruise, again at an 8 top with 2 other couples and a mom & adult daughter.

My experience has been the same as many others' here. I've sailed on 7 cruises on 3 different lines, and Disney has by far always done the best job of keeping the adult-only areas actually adult only. At night, in the adult hot tub, you'd never know there was a child aboard. Granted, this has always been on the Magic -- I've heard that it is a bigger issue on Dream and Fantasy, for some reason.

But all that being said, I do think there are times (Spring Break, Christmas, any time kids are out of school) that are going to be overrun with kids no matter what. My son & I have been sailing since he was 5, but we have always gone in early February when there are far fewer kids.

-gina-

Archived