Southbound or Northbound

Texmike

Thinking about taking a cruise to Alaska on Radiance later in the year

Need a recommendation of whether to take the Southbound or Northbound

Thanks for any help

Hi, Mike,

Coming to you from off 59 just a little closer to Houston than you :D. I've done 3 south bounds. Two included land trips before the cruise. I highly recommend that you do a land trip that includes Denali National Park. The cruise covers just far Southeast Alaska and there's so much more to see of the beautiful state. Haven't looked at the Radience itinerary, but I know it doesn't include Glacier Bay National Park as Royal Caribbean doesn't have any permits to go there. Going southbound gets the longest flight out of the way at first when you're still excited and eager to see everything.

Texas Tillie

Hi, Mike,

Coming to you from off 59 just a little closer to Houston than you :D. I've done 3 south bounds. Two included land trips before the cruise. I highly recommend that you do a land trip that includes Denali National Park. The cruise covers just far Southeast Alaska and there's so much more to see of the beautiful state. Haven't looked at the Radience itinerary, but I know it doesn't include Glacier Bay National Park as Royal Caribbean doesn't have any permits to go there. Going southbound gets the longest flight out of the way at first when you're still excited and eager to see everything.

Texas Tillie

Agreed. We've taken Radiance both north and southbound, and defeintely prefer the pre and post cruise travel logistics taking the southbound trip. Others feel the opposite, but I'm with Tille on this one for what it's worth.

L.J.

My first trip to Alaska was northbound. My husband and I were working and our two young adult sons were with us. We felt doing the cruise part first would give us a chance to relax a little before a busy 7 day land tour post cruise.

I have to say, starting in Vancouver each day I felt the scenery was becoming more and more beautiful going more into the wilderness.

Sorry to say this was 15 years ago. Now we have a May cruise booked, starting in anchorage and doing a 4 day land tour first. We will get the longer flight out of the way first.

So I really can't compare the two but I'd be willing to say no matter which way you go it will be beautiful scenery.

If your heart is not set on a cruise line just wanted to mention as someone else did.. Princess has the biggest presence in Alaska and has the most access to glacier bay, etc. just something to look into maybe.

I'm sure you will love it no matter what.

They are two different directions with neither "better" than the other. Yep, there will be those "relax" comments that the cruise offers. I will counter- if your "land" part is so busy and on the go, then you have a poor plan. My touring is EVEN. I'm not In a lounge chair on the ship and spend my port time, off the ship enjoying activities of my interests. My mainland touring has enough time for my touring and easy transits that aren't marathon trips. Unfortunately some cruisetours are poor itineraries. It is best to go for as long as you can afford.

Exceptions are early and late season. Northbound is superior in both cases- IF Denali Park is a priority In May. Especially the mid May trips where the Tundra Wilderness tour isn't even available. Later, the farther you go. In Sept. the Inside Passage weather drops off far more significantly compared to mainland Alaska. Northbound has more daylight, with a mid Sept cruise being dark by 7pm.

I have done both directions numerous times. They all were excellent cruises.

Just wanted to mention, the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes 53 miles into Denali park is not available until after may 19th. however there is a Teklanika Wilderness Tour may14-19 and sept. 13-24, 2013 a 5-7 hr tour that is fully narrated and travels to mile 30 of the park road to Teklanika River Overlook.

So even tho you wouldn't be going in as far as the full tundra wilderness, It would be quite a bit further than the natural history tour.

Just sayin.

Just wanted to mention, the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes 53 miles into Denali park is not available until after may 19th. however there is a Teklanika Wilderness Tour may14-19 and sept. 13-24, 2013 a 5-7 hr tour that is fully narrated and travels to mile 30 of the park road to Teklanika River Overlook.

So even tho you wouldn't be going in as far as the full tundra wilderness, It would be quite a bit further than the natural history tour.

Just sayin.

BUT, not far enough. Missing Polychrome Pass is huge, and very much worth going when it is accessible.

only reason we booked Northbound is that NCL Sun going north goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier-going south it didnt go to both-at the time we booked we didnt see any other cruise in either direction going to both places

only reason we booked Northbound is that NCL Sun going north goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier-going south it didnt go to both-at the time we booked we didnt see any other cruise in either direction going to both places

The Princess southbounds go to both - have for the last few years and are scheduled to continue in 2014.

Archived