Casual Wear

milling73

We just returned from the Danube Waltz, and for anyone considering a river cruise and wondering what type of clothing to pack -- Casual.

When Viking's own photo ad shows 2 women on the stairs in jeans / sweater -- that is an accurate depiction of the style of clothing being worn. Actually it is wear whatever you want to wear, and you will be fine, and you will fit in. Jeans, slacks, capris, casual skirt/dress were all worn. Most did not change for dinner.

Even at the Captain's dinner, dress is casual nice. Men wore khakis as well as jeans with a button shirt. Only 2 men wore a sport coat. The majority of the women wore slacks.

And don't worry about wearing tennis shoes to sightsee because we saw as many Europeans in Nikes, as American tourists. There is a lot of walking involved on the tours; flat, comfortable shoes are a must.

I completely ditto milling73's description of the clothing.

We haven't had the captains night yet. No men have worn jackets.

Be sensible. Wear practical shoes for walking tours. The only folks who remember what footwear you had on were those who were delayed by you.

Also getting a blister is not pleasant.

As for jeans, they are everywhere.

Just my impression, European women wear very tight pants and lots of scarves with their sweaters, jackets, etc.

Pack for wearing layers. The mornings are cooler. By noon it can be quite warm.

Just like fall at home, the weather changes. Pack your own compact umbrella.

Thank you for the information. We are cruising with Ama over Christmas and due to the colder temps, I was thinking jeans, so if we really don't need to change for dinner, I should be able to do carry on luggage only.

We were wondering however if anyone would dress more formally for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, if anyone has experience with this, we'd love to know.

Thank you for the information. We are cruising with Ama over Christmas and due to the colder temps, I was thinking jeans, so if we really don't need to change for dinner, I should be able to do carry on luggage only.

We were wondering however if anyone would dress more formally for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, if anyone has experience with this, we'd love to know.

We are cruising with AMA over Christmas as well, on the AmaPrima. It will be our 3rd AMA cruise and 7th river cruise and most of those have been in winter.

We do wear jeans/cords during the day but not to dinner and the great majority of guests on our river cruises did not wear jeans in the evening. Most dressed up a bit for dinner, on the special nights a bit more.

I bring black slacks and a variety of tops and accessories to wear in the evenings. We pack light as our trips include independent travel by train and public transport and need to maximize space. My husband wears dress slacks and sweaters.

I am packing a blingy top to pair with black slacks for Christmas and NYE this year.

We are active all day and enjoy a shower and change of clothes before cocktails and dinner. And also keep in mind you could be in snow so day time clothes might need to be changed because they are damp. We also wear boots in Europe at this time of year for daytime touring.

Have a wonderful trip - AMA does it right and this is a wonderful time of year to be in Europe. :)

Just did the captain's night. Men were in shirts, shirts with ties, casual jackets with no ties. Casual describes the atmosphere. Women had nicer clothes but not overly fancy. No long dresses like on an ocean cruise. I'd say they had a more fancy tops and nicer jewellery.

It was a very nice evening.

Archived