Princess or Holland America for solo woman

Gamin2008

Hi,

I am very interested in the itineraries that Princess and HAL are offering for their 7 day cruise in the Southern Caribbean for mid-March 2013 departing from Florida.

I am in my early 50's and feel young at heart. I like to have fun but also want to relax without worrying about too many young kids running around.

Which of these two Lines would you recommend for a single woman who still wants to have fun?

Thanks,

Chantal

Hi,

I am very interested in the itineraries that Princess and HAL are offering for their 7 day cruise in the Southern Caribbean for mid-March 2013 departing from Florida.

I am in my early 50's and feel young at heart. I like to have fun but also want to relax without worrying about too many young kids running around.

Which of these two Lines would you recommend for a single woman who still wants to have fun?

Thanks,

Chantal

Chantal - I've cruised solo only once on HAL. I had a good time and they did seem to treat solos well putting solos together in the dining room and putting together a few solo lunches. Those were funny as I recall a table of 12 of about 7 women and 5 guys. Four of the women weren't technically "solo" but rather "singles" (all travelling together and sharing rooms). But, the funny thing to watch was this one gal in their group that was "on the prowl." Watching her work those guys was amazing. I saw her several times on that cruise each time she was a different guy.

I've cruised Princess several times and I really enjoy it. It is comfortable and relaxing. There are lots of things to do during the day. At night I have the late seating in the traditional dining room and then I tend to go to the shows and listen to music (I'm not a dancer). I usually end the night in the martini/piano bar.

I'm going solo on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 23rd. I think that's the southern Caribbean trip you are looking at. I haven't been to Curacao or Aruba so I'm looking forward to this cruise. I'm also looking forward to relaxing on the sea days.

If you are travelling in mid-March you are in the "spring-break" weeks. I try to avoid the entire month of March for that reason.

If you can describe what you mean by "fun"- I can try to help you further.

I've been cruising HAL since my late 30's (I'm 54 now) and have yet to trip over a walker or wheelchair. The "nursing home" stereotype is a myth - particularly on the bigger ships and 7-day Caribbean itineraries. There are MANY passengers far younger than me!

I've not cruised Princess, but those giant (uglier) ships don't appeal to me at all. I love HAL, and pretty much stick with them exclusively for both my solo cruises and when I cruise with my husband or adult son. Even my son (26 now) prefers HAL - he did a Carnival cruise with friends last May and came back saying it was crap compared to HAL....he did the 10-day Noordam with me in November, and plans to book a 7-day with his girlfriend for right after Thanksgiving this year (on HAL).

Sue/WDW1972

3/3/13 Ryndam

11/10/13 DCL Dream

1/5/14 Nieuw Amsterdam

On HAL you will be tripping over the wheelchairs and walkers. On Princess it will be the kids. Can you wait till Spring break is over? Hal is for over 75 crowd.

HAL has a lot of kids on board.

The 90 year old parents bring their 60 and 70 year old kids with them.:D

Have sailed solo twice once on Princess and it was a nightmare both the treatment by the ship staff and the people on baord, wheelchairs and walkers sums it up. Princess has no clue how to treat a solo female.

Celebrity does it right in every way, actually felt like they valued my business! Never felt like I was a second class citizen like I did on Princess.

I've sailed both HAL and Princess solo and had fun on both and was treated well by the staff. You'll be fine with either one.

Roz

Ditto for me. (I'm late 40s). HAL is definitely quieter at night; I enjoy the evening offerings more on Princess. But HAL has other pluses, especially their beds. Both have great itineraries and decent food.

I've certainly never been treated like a second-class citizen on Princess. :eek:

The points others made about Spring Break are worth considering -- there WILL be kids on board if you go during that time.

Well, I've booked Princess in Mid-March. I guess I will have to be patient if we are talking about young 6-11 year old kids. I thought that March was College Spring Break which is more tolerable, I guess! It is only 7 days anyways. Not like of full year of being on a ship with kids....Yikes :eek:

Thanks

Have sailed solo twice once on Princess and it was a nightmare both the treatment by the ship staff and the people on baord, wheelchairs and walkers sums it up. Princess has no clue how to treat a solo female.

Celebrity does it right in every way, actually felt like they valued my business! Never felt like I was a second class citizen like I did on Princess.

I've been a solo traveler on Celebrity Equinox and they will never have my business again! They have no clue on how to train their staff in basic situations, with their tight ass policies all they aim is to protect themselves! And they are paranoid about potential claims! So, bit me Celebrity! Never again!

HAL has a lot of kids on board.

The 90 year old parents bring their 60 and 70 year old kids with them.:D

:D:DFABULOUS!!:D:D Isn't it funny how one person's favorite is another person's nightmare? OP, did Princess give you any kind of discount or was it double the single price? So far, the only discounts I;m finding are on RCI.

Hi,

Thanks,

Chantal

I've only cruised HAL as a solo and the experience was awesome. Traveling with a companion I have found it easier to meet others on HAL vs. Princess. I found the smaller the Princess ship the better the experience. As a matter of fact, I spent my last birthday (50th) as a single on a HAL cruise.

• 1 month later...

Totally agree with you about Princess!!!! Awful for a solo cruiser.....:eek:

My first solo on Celebrity in the near future so I cannot voice an opinion about that.

Sail well all!!

Archived