New 'Celebrity Life' enrichment pgm

jleq

Press Releases

Celebrity Cruises Launches 'Celebrity Life'Redefining the onboard experience to create lasting memories for guests

MIAMI, July 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Life has always been good on a Celebrity Cruises vacation, and today, the brand announced a new program that will make it even better.

Celebrity Cruises today announced "Celebrity Life," a new series of palate-pleasing, intellectually-enriching and life-enhancing programs designed to deliver the most unique and sophisticated onboard experience in premium cruising.

Built on long-established pillars of the Celebrity brand - dining, enrichment, and wellness - Celebrity Life encompasses three distinct program categories: "Savor," "Discover," and "Renew."

"Celebrity Cruises has always been committed to offering the best vacation experience for discerning travelers," said Celebrity Cruises Senior Vice President of Hotel Operations Lisa Lutoff-Perlo. "Celebrity Life will provide our guests with an array of experiences they will remember long after they sail with us, thanks to the delivery and dedication of our spectacular crew across the fleet."

"Savor" takes an already stellar culinary experience to new heights, with eight new wine enrichment events, six spirits and mixology tastings, and more than seven different interactive programs for guests, hosted by the ship's Executive Chef and team.

"Discover" presents an opportunity for guests to do or learn what they have always wanted to try, but never had time to accomplish. Whether it's ordering a bottle of Chianti in Italian, or exploring the universe in 40 minutes, guests can delve into a wide variety of interests.

"Renew" offers an improved, more goal-oriented approach to classes, seminars, and treatments designed to help guests on their journey to looking younger, feeling better and living longer.

SAVOR THE MOMENT

Shaped by the line's award-winning chef, restaurateur and Vice President of Culinary Operations Jacques Van Staden, the Savor series will encompass three programs centered around Celebrity Cruises' industry-leading food and beverage programming: "Celebrity Vineyards," "Signature Spirits" and "Food as Art."

The "Celebrity Vineyards" wine enrichment program, developed in partnership with the United States Sommelier Association, will feature a host of immersive wine events providing guests the opportunity to expand their understanding and appreciation of the fascinating world of wine. Among the varied activities are the comparative wine workshops Celebrity introduced in 2007, sanctioned by the renowned Riedel Crystal.

Celebrity's "Signature Spirits" events will help unleash guests' "inner mixologist" as they explore the modern world of spirits and cocktails during exclusive "Mixology 101" workshops developed in partnership with Bacardi. The Signature Spirits events also will offer the opportunity to experience the industry's first "Molecular Mixology" workshop developed by "The Liquid Chef," world-renowned Master Mixologist Junior Merino.

Celebrity's immersive "Food as Art" culinary arts program also includes highly interactive and participatory cooking shows. Led by a variety of Celebrity's shipboard chefs, the program allows guests to serve as sous chefs in "Star Chef Cooking Competitions," and to participate in exclusive behind-the-scenes tours to watch the teams in Celebrity's galleys actively preparing delectable desserts, fresh-baked breads and a seemingly endless array of entrees. The Food as Art program also will surprise and delight vacationers with a special lineup of guest chefs who will set sail with Celebrity over the course of the year.

DANCE...DISCUSS. . .DISCOVER

A highlight of Celebrity Life's "Discover" series is the opportunity to learn a new language through Celebrity's industry-first alliance with Rosetta Stone . Through this new partnership, over the course of just one sailing, either self-taught or hosted, guests can gain a working knowledge of their choice from among 13 languages.

Celebrity's "Beyond the Podium" enrichment series, as its name implies, will offer guests far more than the typical enrichment lecture. The series will be highlighted by the brand's new association with Smithsonian Journeys, the educational travel program of the renowned Smithsonian Institution, which is the world's largest museum complex and research organization. Guests on select sailings will have the opportunity to gain deep, new insight from Smithsonian Journeys' globally recognized experts as they speak with Celebrity guests about a vast array of topics, including history, culture, art and architecture, and the natural environment.

Meanwhile, iPod addicts can learn new iTunes tips and tricks while onboard, and novice and experienced computer users alike can boost their technological prowess through Celebrity's "digITal" series, with courses ranging from Photoshop and Windows XP primers, to BlackBerry tips and blog creation.

Stargazers will be inspired to stare skyward as they learn about astronomy, telescope tips, and even celestial navigation through Celebrity's new alliance with Stargeezer, a program devoted to educating consumers about astronomy in user-friendly fashion. Celebrity guests also will be invited to gaze at the night skies out on deck during special stargazers' parties and "star hunts" designed to identify the evening's brightest constellations and planets.

Dance enthusiasts can share the stage with Celebrity's own professional dancers during itinerary-influenced, interactive productions whose themes include "Sizzle," "Groove," "Decco," and "Flava." Additionally, in partnership with Skyy Vodka, Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox will present "Live @ Sky" in the two ships' Sky Observation Lounge.

In addition to participating in cultural, world and ballroom dance classes, guests also will have the opportunity to compete in the "Everybody Dance" competition, culminating in a vote for "star" dance champions on every sailing.

To learn how to creatively preserve photos of their impressive new dance moves, or the picturesque places they visited during their cruise, guests can participate in Celebrity's new courses offered through the line's unique partnership with the StoryTellersClub, designed to guide guests through the process of creating valuable keepsakes of their cruise vacation memories.

TO RENEW YOU

Celebrity Life's new health and wellness program called "Renew" offers an expansion of spa and wellness services designed to help guests feel better, live longer, and look younger. Redefining the spa experience with an innovative range of beauty and wellness options for Celebrity guests, Renew offers three areas of enrichment within the program: "Ageless," "Energy," and "Longevity," each with its own slate of treatment selections, seminars and workshops.

Guests can participate in motivating classes, a variety of seminars, and also experience results-driven spa or fitness treatments created for each series within the program.

Within the Ageless series are informative seminars focused on skin renewal and youth-enhancing lifestyle tips, in addition to medi-spa cosmetic services such as BOTOX Cosmetic, Restylane and Perlane , and a selection of anti-aging facials, including a 24-karat gold facial available on the fleet's latest ship, Celebrity Equinox, to target fine lines and wrinkles.

To help promote self-awareness and healthier living long-term, the Energy series entails nutritional information, wellness assessments and realistic "Life" prescriptions that guests can incorporate into their lifestyle, plus body sculpting and strengthening options, including a "boot camp" course, indoor cycling, personal training, and gravity training classes.

Among the highlights of the Longevity series are seminars focused on stress management, lifestyle enhancements, and alternative healing systems such as Chinese medicine. The Longevity series also features complimentary consultations with the onboard acupuncturist, an array of acupuncture treatments to rebalance the mind and body, in addition to yoga, tai-chi and "fab abs" courses.

WHEN DOES CELEBRITY LIFE "GO LIVE?"

Following its rollout on the new Celebrity Equinox when the ship enters service July 31, the Celebrity Life program will be introduced across the balance of the fleet by the end of November.

"All of us at Celebrity are eager to introduce this new program to our guests," said Lutoff-Perlo. "From pleasing palates to enriching intellects to enhancing day-to-day life, there's something to suit every interest within our new Celebrity Life. And this is only the beginning. We look forward to introducing more surprises over the course of the year."

This sounds like a wonderful program. For those that love to cruise, but are now in the position of repeating most ports on an itinerary, this makes the ship much more of the destination and the "reason to cruise".

I do have a couple of questions however. Under the description of the Smithsonian Journeys, it mentions "available on select cruises". How do you think we will know which cruises these will be offerred on? Since it doesn't mention select cruises under the other available programs, do you think they will be on every one?

Looking forward to hearing more about this program.

Sounds extremely interesting. I look forward to learning more about "Celebrity Life," especially as CC members begin to return from cruises on which the program is up and running.

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, I can't, however, help but wonder how many of the new programs will be accompanied by a fee. We always thought X had a decent enrichment program in place until accupuncture, teeth whitening and wine tasting were brought under the enrichment umbrella. Once that happened, the pay-to-play push was on and enriching one's own life moved in the direction of also enriching some onboard profit center. Admittedly, the press release doesn't mention a thing about fees but many of the programs mentioned sure look like they easily lend themselves to fees, particularly with respect to "Savor" and "Renew."

Sounds extremely interesting. I look forward to learning more about "Celebrity Life," especially as CC members begin to return from cruises on which the program is up and running.

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, I can't, however, help but wonder how many of the new programs will be accompanied by a fee. We always thought X had a decent enrichment program in place until accupuncture, teeth whitening and wine tasting were brought under the enrichment umbrella. Once that happened, the pay-to-play push was on and enriching one's own life moved in the direction of also enriching some onboard profit center. Admittedly, the press release doesn't mention a thing about fees but many of the programs mentioned sure look like they easily lend themselves to fees, particularly with respect to "Savor" and "Renew."

Yes. I was wondering the same thing.

I think it all sounds interesting. Even if it costs extra it may well be worth the extra costs. It also may be part of the new Captains Club benefits. I know that i have read about wine and food paring seminars being free to some CC members and some others (non CC members??) had to pay. Could some of these new "activities" be something that will be free to CC members of some level but cost a minimal amount to others?

Not sure one way or the other but the market at least seemed to like it. RCL stock (the parent of Celebrity) was up 12% today. I could find no other news that might explain the dramatic rise in stock value. The market, at least, seems to like the news...........

Best,

Bruce

Our Cruise Critic editorial staff posted a story on this tonight as well: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3335 It is probably much of the same info as the posted news release above. It might be a little easier to read as a new story.

I'll ask to see if there is any info available on whether these programs will have a fee associated with them. After spending a wonderful vacation on St. John and loving stargazing at night, I think this is the best use they can have for the Lawn Club....providing we can actually use the lawn and stargaze! :)

This program sounds pretty lame and boring, excuse me im yawning

Then I guess you don't have to participate in anything offered.

What is lame to one passengers sounds good to someone else.

The number of corporate alliances noted in connection with many of the new enrichment offerings is impressive but find it hard to imagine those businesses are partnering with X solely for X's benefit. It's just speculation, but there has to be something in it for them and I doubt it's just lending their names in exchange for free advertising. Something tells me the new programming comes with a sizeable price tag which, at least in part, is likely going to be passed on to pax in the form of fees and, dare I say it, merchandising. At any rate, I'm guessing X has devised an ingeniously creative way to increase onboard revenue under the guise of enrichment. If pax take the bait (if, in fact, there is bait to take), Celebrity Life may be a big success. On the other hand...well, I'll just say Cirque du Soleil.

Warning: long post to follow.

I have spoken with my Celebrity contact (probably the last one left in the FL office -- everyone's on Equinox already) and here's what she can tell me about fees for Celebrity Life programs. All fees listed below are subject to change at any time as they test out the events onboard.

ROSETTA STONE

Group classes run by the activities staff - free

$24.95 per person for one class in the online cafe

$49.95 per person for two classes and the 3rd class is free

Unlimited classes for $99.95 per person

FYI, 13 languages will be installed on the Internet cafe's computers and blocks of time will be reserved for interested passengers to come in and get the cafe manager to help them get started with the language lessons.

STARGEEZERS (no, it's not a typo!)

The activities staff have been trained by the Stargeezers people in giving astronomy lessons and star-gazing. Not sure yet if there's a cost to attend.

STORYTELLERS

This is essentially scrapbooking classes, but Celebrity will provide special cruise-themed materials. Not sure yet if there's a fee.

SAVOR

Fees for everything -- no surprise there. Wine, liquor and cocktail tastings run from $9.95 (martini tasting) to $20 (World Wine Tour and Silent Auction). More expensive options include:

Jazz Port and Chocolate Tasting Seduction: $100 pp

(I like chocolate but perhaps not that much -- and I really like chocolate)

Signature Wine Dinner hosted by the captain (or other senior officer): $87 pp

The Liquid Chef classes don't have prices yet

IT CLASSES

It sounds like some classes will be free and others will be $20 pp.

Free classes include:

Learn Your Laptop

Windows XP Tips and Tricks (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced)

Internet and Email for Beginners

For-fee classes include:

Learn Your Blackberry

iTunes Tips and Tricks

Internet for Travelers (Basic, Advanced)

Windows Movie Maker Fun

Congratulations to everyone who made it to the end of the post! I'll let you know if other information comes in but that's all they can tell me right now.

If anyone is going on Equinox soon, be sure to let us know about other costs and how the classes were. Personally, I have been looking for a star-gazing class for years, and really hope I get to try out Celebrity's sometime soon.

Would you think that these new programs have a cost attached or free?

bet most do have a fee as already noted by other posts....--those will be the ones we do not use.... but gazing at the stars should be free!

just hope they hype them quietly. the dr in the spa on our last cruise was approaching people to get them to sign up for his treatments! it was annoying!

just hope they hype them quietly. the dr in the spa on our last cruise was approaching people to get them to sign up for his treatments! it was annoying!

I can only imagine how many additional annoying advertising inserts will now find their way into the daily!

Personally I'm thrilled about the expansion of enrichment opportunities. On a recent Wealth Channel "Boomer Show", one of the guests discussed the changes in our lives, compared to 40 years ago. It used to be thought that life was defined by 3 phases: education, work, recreation. Today, many of us have incorporated all of those experiences throughout our lives. Our children travel and are being steered toward volunteering and part-time work during their teen years. As the world has gotten smaller, travel is available more than ever to many in their adult working years and many of these folks are studying at night for advanced degrees or attending lecture series. And for those who've retired, many are interested in continuing education, part-time work or volunteering.

So, it seems to me that Celebrity has once again responded to these interests and trends. I would never expect all of these opportunities to be without fee and will happily take advantage of many on my next cruise. I see Italian language classes in my future. Ciao!

All of this sounds great to me, considering the cost of Rosetta Stone, this would be a good try before you buy if you were interested. The rest of the stuff such as the drinking sounds like it could be fun for some, and it sounds like less than the normal bar bill <G>, and it allows the companies who are participating to market their product, so you will get the better stuff for a lesser price, not bad.

I see lots of nice things and something to agree with most people, very nice indeed, and for those who couldn't be bothered, you don't have to bother, so a win for everyone <G>...

Doesn't anyone just like to sit on their balcony or deck chair with a good book or binoculars anymore?

all these extra things take up space, utilize staff & cause extra advertising... the dailies used to have much more interesting info about the route, the ports (non-shopping) and the stars--now it's all about what you can buy!

oh well--some of it will last & some will fizzle--I give them some credit for trying diff things.. I did enjoy learning the hula & making leis on our hawaii trip--FREE OF CHARGE!

Warning: long post to follow.

I have spoken with my Celebrity contact (probably the last one left in the FL office -- everyone's on Equinox already) and here's what she can tell me about fees for Celebrity Life programs. All fees listed below are subject to change at any time as they test out the events onboard.

ROSETTA STONE

Group classes run by the activities staff - free

$24.95 per person for one class in the online cafe

$49.95 per person for two classes and the 3rd class is free

Unlimited classes for $99.95 per person

FYI, 13 languages will be installed on the Internet cafe's computers and blocks of time will be reserved for interested passengers to come in and get the cafe manager to help them get started with the language lessons.

STARGEEZERS (no, it's not a typo!)

The activities staff have been trained by the Stargeezers people in giving astronomy lessons and star-gazing. Not sure yet if there's a cost to attend.

STORYTELLERS

This is essentially scrapbooking classes, but Celebrity will provide special cruise-themed materials. Not sure yet if there's a fee.

SAVOR

Fees for everything -- no surprise there. Wine, liquor and cocktail tastings run from $9.95 (martini tasting) to $20 (World Wine Tour and Silent Auction). More expensive options include:

Jazz Port and Chocolate Tasting Seduction: $100 pp

(I like chocolate but perhaps not that much -- and I really like chocolate)

Signature Wine Dinner hosted by the captain (or other senior officer): $87 pp

The Liquid Chef classes don't have prices yet

IT CLASSES

It sounds like some classes will be free and others will be $20 pp.

Free classes include:

Learn Your Laptop

Windows XP Tips and Tricks (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced)

Internet and Email for Beginners

For-fee classes include:

Learn Your Blackberry

iTunes Tips and Tricks

Internet for Travelers (Basic, Advanced)

Windows Movie Maker Fun

Congratulations to everyone who made it to the end of the post! I'll let you know if other information comes in but that's all they can tell me right now.

If anyone is going on Equinox soon, be sure to let us know about other costs and how the classes were. Personally, I have been looking for a star-gazing class for years, and really hope I get to try out Celebrity's sometime soon.

Hi Erica:) I made it to the end:D...and that Signature Wine

Dinner sounds like something I would splurge on once.

And you are correct, that chocolate sounds heavenly;). I would guess one

day even for 100 bucks I might try it.

Archived