Rome Private Guide

We used Remo of www.driverinrome.com before our Galaxy transatlantic last September. He and Daniele have gotten rave reviews on Cruise Critic and they deserve every one.

They worked with us as we coordinated a group of people and had different numbers of participants for each thing we did. Airport to hotel (2 and 6), half-day tour (10), full day tour (12) and transfer to the pier in Civitavecchia (16). They couldn't have been more helpful and Remo is a treat beyond belief. I know there are several good tour operators, but I cannot overstate how much we liked this one.

Work your roll call and get a few people together. It'll save money and add to the fun.

Hi Keith,

I just started a new thread yesterday for Do-It-Yourself-Rome.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=147961

I put several links for tours, etc. there people can check out. Most of these are tours that people have used or recommended. You can check them out & maybe link up with others on your cruise. It's pretty economical if you have 6-8 in your group.

Bob278 has a good suggestion also for getting a group.

I am hoping people will post on this new thread so everything for Rome will be grouped together. I have been jumping all over these boards looking for info on tours and transfers and it's driving me crazy. Takes forever to find anything. Several others have started a thread for other cities and ports in Italy.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Keith:

I've done tons of homework and here is what we are doing for Rome. Our cruise is in Oct. of this year. We have found an American guide that has an excellent resume and educational background. His name is Rich and you can find him at www.rome-day-tours.com. We looked into tours where they pick you up at port, but they are sooo expensive plus these drivers are not certified tour guides. Rich is. For a few euros, we are taking the train into Rome, he is meeting us at a specific train station and then we are going to tour around Rome and pick his brain. He charges 50 euros per hour. I don't mind going by foot via metro, etc. with him because that way we will get a better feel of the city. He is taking us to where we want to go, ancient Rome, the Vatican, etc. Check him out. You'll save money and you'll have a truly English speaking terrific guide. Good luck!!!:rolleyes:

Hi, just saw the Travel Channel's Samantha Brown tour Rome and she also toured with a CTG(cert. travel guide). She said they have the right to go on streets and in places that other drivers cannot. So, that's what we are going to do. BTW, the Rome special was on again today on the Travel Channel! Becky in Houston

Archived