cannes excursions

roopat

It would be very possible although we would recommend just limiting yourself to Nice (we are not big fans of Monte Carlo). It is about a 25 min walk from the Cannes tender pier to the Cannes train station (finding a taxi is not easy in the early morning) and about a 50 min ride to Nice (MC is another twenty min past Nice).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
we will be porting in Cannes next may 2011 from 8-5pm

is it possible to take the train and visit Monaco and Nice - or is it going to be too rushed ?:cool:

I assume that you don't also want to stroll around Cannes as you will be trying to do too much. Allowing for the fact that the train takes around an hour (a bus takes around 2 hours with a change at Nice) you could be in Monaco by about 10.00 (allowing for tendering times into port) spend a few hours walking around, catch the train back to Nice, spend a few hours walking around and, if you're lucky make it back to the ship on time. I say "if you're lucky" because, living part of the year on the Riviera, I know that the line is prone to delays and cancellations. The buses are far more reliable and regular. I agree with Hlitner, limit yourself to one, but I would choose Monaco over Nice. Nice is nice but far too big and impersonal. Monaco is interesting. Myself, I would stick with Cannes as it's one of my favourite towns, but maybe you've been there before.

• 1 month later...
I assume that you don't also want to stroll around Cannes as you will be trying to do too much. Allowing for the fact that the train takes around an hour (a bus takes around 2 hours with a change at Nice) you could be in Monaco by about 10.00 (allowing for tendering times into port) spend a few hours walking around, catch the train back to Nice, spend a few hours walking around and, if you're lucky make it back to the ship on time. I say "if you're lucky" because, living part of the year on the Riviera, I know that the line is prone to delays and cancellations. The buses are far more reliable and regular. I agree with Hlitner, limit yourself to one, but I would choose Monaco over Nice. Nice is nice but far too big and impersonal. Monaco is interesting. Myself, I would stick with Cannes as it's one of my favourite towns, but maybe you've been there before.

Staygulf, we will be porting in Cannes for the day in May and we are planning to stick with Cannes. What do you suggest we do while there? The film festival will be going on so we are a little concerned about crowds.

Staygulf, we will be porting in Cannes for the day in May and we are planning to stick with Cannes. What do you suggest we do while there? The film festival will be going on so we are a little concerned about crowds.

Yikes, I would be concerned as well!

We found Canne to be a nice town that is very easy to see on your own. We went to the Notre Dame church, Museum de la Castre (be sure to climb the tower for some great views!), Chapel De La Misericorde than walked the streets for shopping, ate lunch at the Brasserie Tabac (it is amazing what good bread does for a sandwich). We also walked down to the Intercontinental Hotel. In the afternoon we caught a ferry over to the Ile Sainte-Margierite where there are some beaches and a fort where the Man in the Iron mask was imprisoned.

Kirk

Hi Staygulf - thanks for the tips - ive been thinking that trying to cram it all into one day may be too much - and no time to enjoy anything

so likely will go out to Monaco and back again - skip Nice - i guess a good reason to go back on another trip .......

• 2 weeks later...

You are right to be concerned ! My suggestion would be to try and take a ship's tour or a private tour elsewhere. Avoid Cannes at film festival. The problem is not so much the crowds as the many closed streets that you can't get access to. You may find a problem with slow traffic also because the croisette is closed and to get anywhere requires a detour through clogged roads. Sorry !

You are right to be concerned ! My suggestion would be to try and take a ship's tour or a private tour elsewhere. Avoid Cannes at film festival. The problem is not so much the crowds as the many closed streets that you can't get access to. You may find a problem with slow traffic also because the croisette is closed and to get anywhere requires a detour through clogged roads. Sorry !

We will certainly have to take that into consideration!

Archived