Picture of STAR Princess fire damaga

suzyluvs2cruise

You can read about the extensive damage but it has to be seen to be believed. Whoever said 'a picture is worth a thousand words' had it right.

Thanks for posting it. Very, very sad.

NTSB is going down and IMHO Princess is in deep dodo. No matter what started the fire in ONE cabin for it to spread like that IMHO says that the ship was not up to SOLAS standards. :(

If it was not up to SOLAS standards, the USCG would not allow them to operate out of US ports. So let's not start playing the blame game until we get an official report.

Isn't it amazing the "instant experts" that are quick to reach conclusions about inidents such as the Star fire.

I wonder how much experience in accident investigation went into the conclusion that the Star did not meet SOLAS standards.

Amazing!!!!!

Yes, I agree. Kneejerk overeactions are silly. It's not a sad day for the cruise industry. If a fire breaks out at a Holiday Inn it's not a sad day for the hotel industry. It's a sad day for those that are grieving for loss of life. Lets keep things in perspective.

It is easier to walk away from a hotel fire than swim away from a ship fire. That is a given.

Come on and get serious. Face the facts.

Trapped in either can certainly be deadly but once clear of the fire there is a big difference from a hotel fire than a ship fire.

Just out for the fun of it please tell me how many fire trucks rushed out to help put out the fire on the ship. Get the picture now.

C'mon everyone ... let's grow up a bit here!

The photo is what it is ... everyone wants to see what happened, and there's nothing wrong with that!

It's just a sad fact that this kind of tragedy should occur even in such modern times with "supposedly" the latest in safety technologies.

It's just mind-boggling to me how something like this could possibly happen.

It's almost like it was arson or terrorism as opposed to being an accident.

I'm NOT saying it is arson/terrorism, but I'm saying those two reasons would be more believable than being an accident caused by ONE lit cigarette.:confused:

I don't know anything about SOLAS standards. However, I hope someone explains why properly operating sprinklers wouldn't confine a fire to the cabin where it started.

My point was what FUELED that fire to do so much damage. I know back in the 80s the new builts were being made with very little real wood because of the fire haz that SOLAS had put into their standards to reduce their use on ships.

I'm NOT saying it is arson/terrorism, but I'm saying those two reasons would be more believable than being an accident caused by ONE lit cigarette

Right, while a couple posters want to attack smokers, I may point out to them the number of flame wars on a number of CC forums started by a poster say, "I am safe with MY iron and I am going to bring it on board no matter what anybody says."

It is easier to walk away from a hotel fire than swim away from a ship fire. That is a given.

Come on and get serious. Face the facts.

Trapped in either can certainly be deadly but once clear of the fire there is a big difference from a hotel fire than a ship fire.

Just out for the fun of it please tell me how many fire trucks rushed out to help put out the fire on the ship. Get the picture now.

I wasn't comparing the dynamics of ship fire versus a hotel fire. My point was that it's not a "sad day for the cruise industry" as an earlier poster remarked. Only sad for those affected. Is anybody here gonna cancel their cruise because of this incident? Will there be massive cancellations industry wide? I doubt it.

It should be!

Any time that there is loss of life I am saddened. I don't think that the cruise industry is so callous that they aren't saddened by a passenger's death.

I agree, they should be saddened. But if you think the cruise industry is not callous read "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" by Kristoffer A. Garin.

NO ONE in the general public knows the cause of the fire yet, exactly what damage has been sustained in the affected areas and to what extent -- I hope you guys can discuss amongst yourselves in a civil manner ?;) Okay? The news shows like Inside Edition will be all over anyone they can find who was on the ship and will probably lead to even more theories etc. Out of respect for those who were injured and the gentleman who lost his life and their families, let's play nice here, please???? if for no other reason....

Just finished watching the video from a Dr. who was on the Star. After viewing it (video of cabin) and pictures of the outside I'm glad to see that more people were not injured. Dr. said people didn't panick, and everyone was pretty orderly. Dr. & his family were in one of the cabins that was damaged.

Sheds new light on what actually happened. I hope all of the injured recover. Makes me really think hard about "what I would do in this situation" and how I can be prepared. I'm definately going to take some of the advice mentioned in other threads to heart.

For those who contributed advice...thanks..I'm listening.;)

-k

NO ONE in the general public knows the cause of the fire yet, exactly what damage has been sustained in the affected areas and to what extent -- I hope you guys can discuss amongst yourselves in a civil manner ?;) Okay? The news shows like Inside Edition will be all over anyone they can find who was on the ship and will probably lead to even more theories etc. Out of respect for those who were injured and the gentleman who lost his life and their families, let's play nice here, please???? if for no other reason....

Host Caroline,

Thank you for your post.

Thanks, too, to those who understood my post and why I posted the picture.

As Caroline says, "let's play nice here".

If it was not up to SOLAS standards, the USCG would not allow them to operate out of US ports. So let's not start playing the blame game until we get an official report.(

Not only would she not be USCG certified but she would not get certified (Lloyds or Det Norske Veritas) and therefore not get insurance.

-Greg

We were on the Star in 2003 and the Sapphire in 2004 - beautiful ships!

My thoughts - how could this get so out of control when there are sprinklers?

Reminds me of the photos of the Sapphire when it burned in the ship yard.

My compliments to the crew and the superb training - it paid off. Make me more confident that Princess is prepared for such an emergency, even when it occurs at 3AM.

Judy

I am wondering if there are sprinklers on the balconies. I have never looked and if not, it would seem to be wise to put them on the balconies. The crew certainly did a good job and practice does pay off when there is a fire such as they had to fight. No one knows for sure, but this could have been an electrical fire which would have maybe traveled through the walls. Thankful there were no more injuries than there were.

Don

Archived