Picnic Lunch for going to Port

58Piano

Wouldn't it be nice if Princess offered the option to purchase a picnic lunch to take with you into a port? I read where some cruisers gather food from the buffet to take with them. Or maybe you could order a sandwich from room service and take that. Just an idea. To find a nice beach somewhere and have your picnic lunch with you would be nice.

Wouldn't it be nice if Princess offered the option to purchase a picnic lunch to take with you into a port? I read where some cruisers gather food from the buffet to take with them. Or maybe you could order a sandwich from room service and take that. Just an idea. To find a nice beach somewhere and have your picnic lunch with you would be nice.

if you are hungry you can always buy something from the local shop

in some ports they have sniffer dogs to stop people taking food ashore and you cant say i didnt know because its published in the patter

In many ports when they take food off the ship they are violating local regulations which isn't something I do.
Right. And they do so in spite of notifications and warnings in the Patter what the local laws are. If someone does so and brags they've never been caught, it's just a matter of time. Plus they are jeopardizing the local agricultural economy, something they don't give a damn about.

In some places, such as Chile, you are lined up, everything you're carrying is put on the floor, and a big German shepard with a handler and two soldiers carrying assault weapons examine everything. I've seen people carted off at Logan Airport in Boston for having an apple in their carry-on.

The ONLY port I've ever seen Princess prepare a lunch to take on a Princess tour was in Manaus on the Amazon. The crocks are happy with anything you happen to drop in the water.

It's no different than driving into Calif where they have agricultural checkpoints to make sure you don't bring any fruits and or vegetables into the state.

As has been said, you never want to take food from the ship into some country. Generally there will be big 55-gal drums when you get off the ship, giving folks one last opportunity to "give up the goods". If you get caught beyond that point, then that's just too damn bad - for you.

Pre packaged things like cheese & crackers or granola is generally considered OK.

Even pre-packaged food is not always allowed. Australia, for example, does not allow you to bring nuts into the country, packaged or not, not even if it is an ingredient in a prepared food. I have read where a Hershey bar with almonds was confiscated from a cruise ship passenger.

In Australia you'll go through an agricultural inspection in each port. We had a chance to talk to one of the inspectors while waiting to go ashore in one of our ports. In addition to nuts, eggs are also not allowed in any way, shape, or form. If they are one of the ingredients listed in your packaged food that food will be confiscated. You may also receive a nice fine.

Even pre-packaged food is not always allowed. Australia, for example, does not allow you to bring nuts into the country, packaged or not, not even if it is an ingredient in a prepared food. I have read where a Hershey bar with almonds was confiscated from a cruise ship passenger.

They are very serious in Australia...at Sydney airport we read about those restrictions & declared our trail mix which included almonds. We were able to keep them because they were not raw & another couple we met decided to not claim their trail mix. The last we saw they were trying to explain why they concealed it instead of simply claiming them to see if they were allowed in Australia.

I've not cruised yet to the Caribbean, but several times to Cabo San Lucas (as well as other ports). When you get off the tenders there, there have been trash bins full of food, especially bananas and apples.

They didn't give you the opportunity to have one more chance to give it up...they searched all bags going through the checkpoint. This was after repeated warnings, in the newsletter, the crew loudly stating it while we were in line to board tenders as well as written signs. I've always been surprised at how many people ignored the warnings and how much food was just wasted.

I prefer to be on the safe side and not take any food at all off of cruise ships. We've had some great meals in different ports of call. If we're close enough to the ship and don't want to eat at that particular port, we'll go back onboard to have lunch.

On our July Vancouver to Whittier cruise on the Coral Princess this appeared in every Patter for port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice
: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On Disembarkation Day the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS:
It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

I didn't see anyone being searched but you certainly couldn't plead ignorance if you were.

Can't remember the port, but a guy bought a nice green new straw hat. They took it before he was able to board the ship.

I thought that was a little extreme, but it is what it is. I guess they considered it a plant.

We’ve also seen hats, baskets and such made from coconut leaves in the Caribbean confiscated.

I will bring one of the small boxes of the packaged cereal from the buffet, unopened. I assume this is OK, but I always tell them about it, anyway. I've never had to throw it away.

I believe the pre-packaged cereal boxes are acceptable in port. But it's wise to let them know what you have.

I will bring one of the small boxes of the packaged cereal from the buffet, unopened. I assume this is OK, but I always tell them about it, anyway. I've never had to throw it away.

I do this. On a very long bus ride on shore once, people were eyeing me jealously while I munched on my Cheerios. :D

On our Hawaiian cruise last month, there wasn't a notice in the Patters, but there was definitely mention in the PA each port morning that food was not be taken off the ship.

We had factory-sealed energy bars with us on the day we had our all-day excursion, but didn't need it. And had a decent lunch as part of the tour (on one previous excursion the included lunch was food I couldn't eat, so I was definitely hungry until we got back to the ship). If we ever get to go on an Australian cruise (which is on our dream list), I'll know to wait til we find food in the port.

Archived