Passport needed while on a diving excursion?

river_sand_bar2

I always take my passport along with a small amount of cash to cover whatever I expect to spend ashore (divemaster tip). Stop by a sporting goods store, dive shop or outdoor's store and you can pick up a small plastic waterproof box that can fit in a BCD pocket so you can keep your stuff with you. Leave the wallet in your room safe.

I've never taken my passport ashore and while it might be a good idea to have it IF something happened, I think the chances of needing it are pretty small. I'd consider taking a photocopy and having it laminated.

I think I would be a little worried about taking the passport into the water.... what if the waterproof pouch sprung a leak at 60 feet down.... could be ruined... are the S&S cards water proof?? I know my drivers license is waterproof, as I ended up taking it surfing by accident.. :eek: So I might take that with me in a little pouch.

Are the dive operators pretty honest ??

Before we go on a cruise we make a couple of xerox copies of our respective passports. We leave the real passports locked in our cabin safe and take copies with us. The pages easily fit in a small dry pouch. This way we have the information needed with us just in case and there is no danger of losing a passport or having them stolen.

I have read that people either take pictures of important docs or scan them into their computers. Then they email them to a yahoo/msn/etc account. If you need them, just find a computer and log on. Just make sure the image is something standard like .jpg. .JPG can be opened in a browser so it is highly recommended.

I've never taken my passport ashore and while it might be a good idea to have it IF something happened, I think the chances of needing it are pretty small. I'd consider taking a photocopy and having it laminated.

Great ideal about laminating the photocopy. I usually just bring a photocopy but by the end of the cruise it's in pretty bad shape and all the water activities eventually get to it and the ink runs. As far as operators being honest. I hope so because I usually have backup gear that I leave on the dive boat while I'm in the water and some of it is more expensive than what I carry in my wallet (besides if you don't trust them, how can you get in the middle of the ocean and have any hope they'll be there when you surface?).

Randall

These types of questions always let you know who are new travelers or seasoned travelers. You should NEVER walk around with your original passport. A passport is needed for showingthe proper authorities when entering/exiting a country. Any travel agent who knows their job will advise you to make a few copies of your passport and leave one with a family member, and keep one on your person. The original should be kept in the room safe if avaialble.

And thats EXACTLY why I come to this board.... cus most people on this board are very season well travelers.... and if your a newbie... then the people will help you out.

Now I know exactly what to do with my passport when I am diving in the warm Caribbean Waters next MONTH!!!! Cant WAIT!!!:D

Many years ago I always travelled with both a British and a Canadian passport, but nowadays - since 9/11 in particular, it's the good-old USA where they get really paranoid if they see you've recently visited arab or communist countries (i.e. Libya, Tunisia or Cuba ).

Always carry photocopies. Take two different credit cards - VISA and MC, but only carry one while leaving the other back in your room. Don't ever travel with a junk filled fat wallet. Just take a thin bill-fold with folded up photocopy of passport and important phone numbers. Pin it in your inside jacket pocket with a safety-pin. Carry lots of small dollars in your trousers for tips and shopping or cab fare.

Never wear jewelry or rings and leave the Rolex at home. If you need a watch just wear a cheap Wal-Mart piece when travelling. I grew up in Africa where you could loose your hand or a few fingers for a watch or ring.

Don't wear a fanny pack unless it's only full of junk. In a robbery give up the purse or the fanny pack but have your money, credit card and passport or photocopy in a money belt or pinned inside your clothes.

The scanned copies of important documents is a good idea. Puting them all on a USB memory stick or even porting them to your digital camera memory might be useful insurance.

Archived