Losing weight with Wii Active

texasmomof2

Hello everyone! I am a stay-at-home mom of 2 young kids who recently booked our very first cruise. My husband and I will be going without the kids in November to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I'm very excited, and working towards a goal of losing 20 pounds by the time of our cruise (although it would be great to get there by this summer!).

I have struggled with my weight for about ten years now, and I hate that I've blown almost all my 20s being overweight and unhappy. I decided back around Thanksgiving that this was finally going to be my year. I do not want to make the same mistake in my 30s of being unhappy with my health, but not being willing to do anything about it. I want our first cruise to be an adventure and if I'm overweight and out of shape it will be much harder on me.

I started out this year using the Biggest Loser Wii workout, but I didn't really care for it. I lost some weight with it, but I didn't feel like I was getting any toning in with my workouts, so I switched to the Wii Active. One interesting motivation on the Active... when you're running around the track and pass the side with the water you can see a big cruise ship out in the sea. Kind of neat to have that visual reminder of what my end reward will be for all this hard work!

I hope to meet some others on here who are going through this with me. You don't necessarily have to be using the same type of workout as I am. I'd love to have someone else to encourage and motivate, and share some healthy recipes with. Let me know when and what cruise you're going on--it would be awesome to meet someone who is going on the same one as I am so we could work out together! I am going on the Voyager of the Seas November 28th. God bless all of you and good luck reaching your goals! :)

Texasmom! I am with you!

I am going on a cruise in September to the Med and hubby and I went shopping yesterday to start to look at some nice packable clothing since we will be gone for two weeks...and want to carry on our luggage!

Well, I discovered that I need to lose weight before I buy any pants! I am older than you and the weight is coming on quickly. My arms are flabby looking, my legs have no tone and my stomach is getting rounder every day. The doctor tells me moving to Florida has been bad for me..I can't stand the heat so don't get out and move as much as I did when living up north.

My kids have a Wii so I bought some fitness programs and they sit in the boxes, never used. Today I am going to get them out!

I also stay at home with my kids whom I homeschool. I work on my computer and spend too much time sitting in my chair. I want to lose weight and feel better! My only issue with the Wii is that my kids will gather around and watch while I look silly. LOL

I guess I can start to teach them good habits by exercising with them, huh?

Ladies, I am needing to jump on the bandwagon with you! I CRINGE at the thought of shopping for summer beach/cruise clothing right now, let alone a swimsuit. Would love to be down at least one more clothing size before I do...-20 pounds or so. (And no, that doesn't put me at my ideal body weight...blah!) We don't have a Wii but I would love to hear more advice on working out with one. I'm also a stay-at-home homeschool mom and activity is not my strong point! Good luck to you both...hope we can be an encouragement to one another as we countdown! :) JJ

I have been using the Wii Active for about 5 weeks. I did the 30 day challenge. Loved it. Really kicked my butt! One problem I am having is that when I got to day 30, the last day of the challenge, it never gave me credit for doing it. It is like the movie groundhog day. Every day ist says it is my last day. I have redone it a couple of times, but it wont reset. I have been doing the preset workouts. I am afraid to reset and lose all my info and all that hardwork! If this happens to anyone else, please let me know and if you fixed it or not.

Loving the workouts. I have lost about 12 pounds since I started. I am also dieting.

It's great to meet all of you ladies and know that I'm not alone in this journey. Being a stay-at-home mom it's sometimes hard to stay motivated. I spend my days chasing around my kids and by the time they're both down I tend to want to either rest or get on Facebook or this website (it's addictive!).

A few years ago I had a gym membership that I hardly even used. I always found excuses as to why I didn't make it there, and when I did go I didn't push myself very hard. The thing I like about the Wii is that I can do it at home no matter what the weather's like outside. And I've found that for some reason, I push myself more when I do the Wii. When I started doing the Active 30 day challenge recently I did find that my 3-year-old daughter wanted to work out with me. At first I thought that it was difficult to get it done because she would get in my way, but I've decided that this is a good thing for her and I to do together. I want her to enjoy working out and being healthy.

I would love to hear some of your eating tips. Do any of you have any great tasting but good for you snacks that you like? One of my favorite sweets is the Weight Watchers ice cream bars. I love ice cream, and these are a great healthier choice for me to get my ice cream fix.

Keep at it ladies and God bless! :)

Ladies, I am needing to jump on the bandwagon with you! I CRINGE at the thought of shopping for summer beach/cruise clothing right now, let alone a swimsuit. Would love to be down at least one more clothing size before I do...-20 pounds or so. (And no, that doesn't put me at my ideal body weight...blah!) We don't have a Wii but I would love to hear more advice on working out with one. I'm also a stay-at-home homeschool mom and activity is not my strong point! Good luck to you both...hope we can be an encouragement to one another as we countdown! :) JJ

Just wanted to tell you that I know the Wii system and the games like Active and Fit are costly, but it's a good investment. For me, it was more cost effective than signing up for another gym membership that I know I'll never use. I personally recommend the Active, but that's just me. It's very easy to follow, and if you want to start slow you can set it up on the easy level and move up to medium or hard. The Active has a trainer that will show you how to do each exercise and give you feedback throughout. It also has a 30 day challenge program that is a great way to start out your weight loss journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, like you I am cruising in November and I am planning on losing a pound a week. I am using the Wii fit to help me tone up. Have you tried the Just Dance game it really burn calories. Janice

I use the Wii for workouts occasionally too! I am on something called the "hmr diet" a drs supervised Diet. I Also use this book I got at costco "the womens health BIG BOOK of exercises." They have a SERIOUS calesthenics workout in the back I am starting (its sooo hard!) I really do not like gyms they are kinda gross and everyone keeps looking around at me sweating :mad: I cruise in october and becuase I am ont his radical drs diet I hope to lose all my wieght by this summer. We will see though...

Hi,

I took my Christmas money and bought myself something this year instead of paying bills or giving it to my kids. So, I bought a Wii with Fit plus. I have lost about 25 pounds but am kind of in a funk right now and really some movitation to get back to it. It worked Great as long as I was doing it. I also bought "Walk It Out' which is a pretty good program with losts of walking.

I also started South Beach and it works wonderful in working on that middle area that you get after menopause.

Glad to see others also working the the Wii. My next cruise is Alaska so I am not worried about a bathing suit but want to be able to walk the trails and not be winded!

Would love to be a part of this group! Cruise in May & need to lose about 10-15 lbs. Started working out on the Wii Fit last week & really enjoying it. I need some motivation & encouragement & sure am glad I found this site.

Cruisemel:)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I just saw this thread and I would like to join in as well. Although it looks like nobody's posted for a while - you must all be working out! :)

I am on my second 30-day challenge with the Wii Active, and I really love it. I set mini-goals in between of 1,000 calories and 7 workouts per week. Don't always make it, but it's some motivation to work out every day. I'm way out of shape, but doing this 20 minutes a day has been a big boost.

I've got a cruise coming up in late June, and although I won't get any where near my goal weight by then, I know if I've been working out I will feel and look better and have an even better time!

I too wanted to loose weight prior to my May cruise. I started with Wii Active and Juilian Michaels WII game. I loved Wii Active and did the 30 day challenge then I felt a little board with it and was searching for something to add to my program. I picked up a Leslie Samsone Walk Aerobic dvd (4 Fast Miles and 3 Mile Belly Fat Burn) and I LOVE them!! They are so easy to follow not like some of those dvd's that you have to learn how before you can work out. This is basic walking - speed walking and things she builds into that like knee lifts and kicks. You really work ALL muscles in your body and work up a great sweat! They have pushed me over the hump and now I am getting really close to the 20 lb goal!!!

These DVD's are around 10 dollars so not another big investment either!!

It's been a while since I've posted, but I love reading everyone's stories and experiences. It seems like I'm not the only one who occasionally gets bored doing just one exercise program after a while. I was doing the Wii Active, but like anything else I do too long I got bored with it, and switched back to my Wii Fit. I love learning new yoga poses on that game. I guess the important thing is that we all are always doing some type of exercise--if we get in a rut or bored with one program the trick is not to just quit working out, but move on to something different. Good work everyone--keep it up and we'll all look fantabulous by the time we go on our cruises!!! :)

maccanme- Are the walking dvd's just walking and running in place? Curious. the running in place is my least favorite part of the wii active. I would be interested in trying these new ones though- could you give me more info? Just got back from my cruise and am ready to start it up again. New goals, and get rid of some of what I gained on the cruise!

maccanme- Are the walking dvd's just walking and running in place? Curious. the running in place is my least favorite part of the wii active. I would be interested in trying these new ones though- could you give me more info? Just got back from my cruise and am ready to start it up again. New goals, and get rid of some of what I gained on the cruise!

No it really isn't I hated the running in place on wii fit too!! Leslie is great - very motivating and entertaining and she keeps you moving. You walk in place - do knee lifts - standing / walking ab work - kicks - side steps - grapevine - but she has you do arm things in combination and you truely work every muscle in the body - tons and tons more action than a neighborhood walk. I got both of my DVD's at Sams club - but I am sure you can pick them up at any store (Ebay even has them just type in Leslie Samsone). If you want a great challenge look for 4 miles fast - it is 4 miles in 50 minutes and an easy - but great workout. I also like the 3 mile - burn belly fat DVD. In this one you can even choose to only do 1 or 2 miles if you are low on time. I encourage you to pick one up and let me know what you think - I know you will love it!!:)

you dont have to just do the excercises to get a work out try playing the tennis on it or the ten pin bowling with a freind or two if you take it seriously and really move as if you are playing the game your body gets a full work out our freinds and i do it it is good fun and after a really good session we can hardly move the next day. i also love on the wii fit plus doing the hula and flying from target to target it puts a bit of fun into the exercise and the kids can do it with you

you dont have to just do the excercises to get a work out try playing the tennis on it or the ten pin bowling with a freind or two if you take it seriously and really move as if you are playing the game your body gets a full work out our freinds and i do it it is good fun and after a really good session we can hardly move the next day. i also love on the wii fit plus doing the hula and flying from target to target it puts a bit of fun into the exercise and the kids can do it with you

Agreed! I don't have Wii Fit, but my family loves Wii Sports Resort. My DS kicks my tail at tennis (him just flicking his wrist, me jumping all over the room), and I can sometimes beat him at canoeing. For relaxation, DH and I play a round of golf every night.

Dance games are also fun and can be a good workout. I just got Just Dance for Wii - lots of fun! Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the "serious" workouts.

Archived