I totally agree. We love the formality of Cunard and would hate it to become more relaxed. The only thing my husband does dislike is having to wear a jacket on Smart Casual nights. P & O allow a smart shirt/trousers with or without tie as wished. On warmer cruises being allowed to go without a jacket but still looking very smart in open necked shirt and nice trousers is a nice change for him and more comfortable. The rest, Formal, Informal with jacket and tie is fine.

We would love to try Cunard, but until the dress code is relaxed, we will have to sail elsewhere.

I would think this is something Cunard will have to consider at some point, the younger market generally wish for a more relaxed cruise.

Just my view :rolleyes:

Hi Waldorf

My husband was not so sure about wearing a jacket every night but he was fine. I think it is lovely and a refreshing change from other cruise lines. You should give it ago. Its like a bygone era that we get to experience. Love it:)

[quote name='eatsallinsects']I am "suggesting" to my son to get a white dinner jacket for our trip on the QE through the Panama Canal in March. Would that be a waste of money for him?[/QUOTE]

Should have added that I was thinking primarily about the suitability of the white jacket for the part of the world and the time of the year.

Please [I]do[/I] retain the dress code and enforce it as it is one of the pleasures which set Cunard apart. That is to say it is not the clothing but rather the requirement that one put oneself together which attracts others who enjoy an atmosphere of refined conviviality. Without the code, it would be a quick descent into the land of the party ships where the code is "foot covering required after 6:00p.m."

As one of the younger set, who wears jeans to work everyday, I love dressing up on Cunard. There are plenty of lines that you can wear whatever you want. There are so few that still require one to dress well at dinner. Its the only competitive advantage left!

If Cunard goes casual, then I'd just as well sail Celebrity

[quote name='waldorf']We would love to try Cunard, but until the dress code is relaxed, we will have to sail elsewhere.

I would think this is something Cunard will have to consider at some point, the younger market generally wish for a more relaxed cruise.

Just my view :rolleyes:[/quote]
Agree entirely. Whilst it is undoubtedly true that many like to sail with Cunard because of the formailty, it is equally true that many avoid doing so for the same reason. I suspect that the latter outnumber the former.

I welcome the formality of Cunard and think that it was a mistake to reduce the formal nights on a transatlantic crossing from 4 to 3. There are so many alternative lines available if a passenger doesn't want to adhere to the Cunard' dress codes. Let's not reduce the ships to the lowest common denominator!

One of the excuses I've heard for not enforcing the dress code in the restaurants is that "staff risk losing gratuities". Have there been any marketing studies whether a mandatory service charge instead of supposedly-voluntary gratuties would be an acceptable trade-off? I believe I'm not alone in feeling the present system is no way for a premium cruise line to treat either loyal customers or loyal staff.

Formality is part of our DNA - but not all we do is Formal. I can certainly reassure you that Cunard will not give up our Formal Evenings - they are very special and a chance for Ladies, Gentelmen and their children too to have a very special night. Some luxury cruise lines have moved to Formal/Optional which I would just find confusing - it's either a formal night or not. The ambience in the dining rooms and bars on a formal night is terrfic - it is similar to a special night out at home - and there are fewer and fewer of those opportunities these days. At the same tme - many people want to relax on holiday - and whilst we have 2 or 3 formal nights on a voyage - guests can also relax with our 'Elegant Casual' evenings. I sense as we go forward , whilst maintaining the Formal nights then we may see the Elegant Casual approach becoming more popular and a chance to relax as we would going out with friends at home. But for us - the Formal night is something very important and we do it properly - a rarity in today's growing cruise market. Peter

[quote name='Peter Shanks']Formality is part of our DNA - but not all we do is Formal. I can certainly reassure you that Cunard will not give up our Formal Evenings - they are very special and a chance for Ladies, Gentelmen and their children too to have a very special night. Some luxury cruise lines have moved to Formal/Optional which I would just find confusing - it's either a formal night or not. The ambience in the dining rooms and bars on a formal night is terrfic - it is similar to a special night out at home - and there are fewer and fewer of those opportunities these days. At the same tme - many people want to relax on holiday - and whilst we have 2 or 3 formal nights on a voyage - guests can also relax with our 'Elegant Casual' evenings. I sense as we go forward , whilst maintaining the Formal nights then we may see the Elegant Casual approach becoming more popular and a chance to relax as we would going out with friends at home. But for us - the Formal night is something very important and we do it properly - a rarity in today's growing cruise market. Peter[/quote]

All that you say is correct and the fact that there are reduced formal nights is still a great shame when as you say "the Elegant Casual approach becoming more popular and a chance to relax as we would going out with friends at home." Surely if we wanted to just don a jaclet as we might at home, we wouldn't make the effort and expend the money to board a Cunard ship. We like formality and it brings us back time after time, if you become like one of the myriad other lines this may not be so.

Firstly, I agree with Capnpugwash, we travel with Cunard for the formality and will be disappointed if Cunard goes more "Elegant Casual". Secondly, have you travelled on one of your ships recently? When I was last on Queen Elizabeth, last June, one night was designated "Semi-Formal/Optional Formal". Like you, I found this confusing! Thankfully, due to the Cruise Critic Roll Call group, who all agreed to go "Formal", I felt confident to do the same.

We do not intend to reduce or dilute either the style or the number of our Formal nights - they remain very important to us and very much enjoyed by our guests. Not sure what happened on the Queen Elizabeth - it may have been on one of the short 2 night voyages to Hamburg. Sometimes for operational reasons our team onboard need to make adjustments as they see best - but please be assured that Cunard Formal is and will be Cunard Formal. Best Regards. Peter

[quote name='Peter Shanks']We do not intend to reduce or dilute either the style or the number of our Formal nights - they remain very important to us and very much enjoyed by our guests. Not sure what happened on the Queen Elizabeth - it may have been on one of the short 2 night voyages to Hamburg. Sometimes for operational reasons our team onboard need to make adjustments as they see best - but please be assured that Cunard Formal is and will be Cunard Formal. Best Regards. Peter[/QUOTE]

Thank you, the more formal nights the better as far as we're concerned. We haven't yet been to Hamburg but would love to go as I understand that the reception and send off are both wonderful to experience. You are correct though, the time we were offered "Semi Formal/Optional Formal" was on a mini cruise.

Hamburg definitely worth a visit - it's a beautiful city on the river. If you can time it for the Hamburg harbour party then it is very special to see the hundreds of thousands of peole who come to see Queen Mary 2. Peter

[quote name='Peter Shanks']Hamburg definitely worth a visit - it's a beautiful city on the river. If you can time it for the Hamburg harbour party then it is very special to see the hundreds of thousands of peole who come to see Queen Mary 2. Peter[/QUOTE]

We experienced something similar on our Round Britain voyage in 2011 when we went to Liverpool - a City that is now on our must list to return to. Many thanks for your valuable time in participating in this Q&A session - much appreciated. In fact, now that you are a registered member of Cruise Critic, might you pop in now and again to (1) see what people are praising or have concerns about and (2) to occasionally respond? Nicky

Nickytions -I do keep a keen eye on the forum - one of the best things about Cruise Critic is that the members tend to answer all their own questions. But if I think a debate needs a steer - or a useful fact - then I can add my view. Peter

Very Pleased to here that Formal Evenings will continue. It is one of the main reason that I am going to take my first ever crossing on the QM2 to N.Y next year (That and the Fact I have been in love with the idea ever since seeing the Documentary about Her Construction, should release that on DVD).

I love Formal evenings on the QM2, it is my only chance to dress up since I rarely attend functions at home that require formality.
I would appreciate seeing the code adhered to in the dining room meaning staff should be able to approach passengers and not be lambasted for doing their job.

Archived