Progreso massage 1hr for $15????

iamheretowinp

We are going to Progreso in about 2 and a half weeks. I read somewhere but I can't find it that there was a massage for an hour for like $15. wondering if anyone knows where this might be? Also if anyone has any good suggestions of things to do. We have never been to this port and are open to doing anything really. If you have any helpful info, please feel free to share. Thanks!

i just posted pics from progress from july.. we did 15$ massages for 3 that were 1 hour long or close. It was awesome. We found a guy at the straw market and he provided us with ruins/beach.... I think the post is a few up from you... let me know if after reading the long post you have questions. Have fun!

• 2 months later...
We are going to Progreso in about 2 and a half weeks. I read somewhere but I can't find it that there was a massage for an hour for like $15. wondering if anyone knows where this might be? Also if anyone has any good suggestions of things to do. We have never been to this port and are open to doing anything really. If you have any helpful info, please feel free to share. Thanks!

Once in Progresson you'll find the beach area, just a couple of blocks away from the downtown area. Along the beach you will see the cabanas and the people offering massages. This was the highlight of Progresso for us...I actually did a google search to see what there is to do in progresso and bingo...me, DH and mother in law had our hr massages on the beach then found a nice umbrealla table and ordered our food and drinks. We shopped at the market and headed back to the ship early...the pools were nearly empty:D

If we go there again, that's exactly what I'll do. Enjoy yourself and the wonderful massage.

We got massages for $10 each for an hour in December. It was amazing. When you get off bus from pier, turn left, walk to end of block , look left and you will see beach and cabanas lined up for massages. They approached us about getting them. I wish I was there right now.:)

• 1 month later...
We got massages for $10 each for an hour in December.

We also got $10 massages but it was in January. My suggestion to everyone that wants a massage, bring one of the hand towels from your cabin with you in your bag/backpack etc...You don't want to put you face onto a towel someone else has already used. They use a face towel to cover the face hole on the massage table so your face doesn't stick to the vinyl.

massage.jpg

ILUVCRUZN.....I'm sooo glad you posted some pictures, I have been asking this question for some time, was it easy to find? did you have to haggle this price or is 10 what it is? any more tid bits of info would be great, I am trying to talk my husband into doing this but i am having a hard time since i dont have any info about this!!!

The beach is a very short walking distance from where the free shuttle lets you off. As soon as I hit the beach area, ladies where coming up to me begging me to let them give me and my little girl a massage. They are the ones that said $10.00 for an hour. It was about an hour until we needed to get back on the bus to head to the ship so we said we would let them do a 30 minute massage for $10 each.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got back two weeks ago and I had a one hour massage for 15 on the beach, it was right across the road from the bar called Buddy's, my husband sat in there and held our bags while i went and got relaxed, it was AWESOME. The girls do a good job, be sure to tip them. when i was done i went to buddy's to get my husband and we had a few beers and then started walking back to the ship and people were coming up to me saying 10$ hour long massage, so if you wait later in the day you will get them cheaper!!

would do again in a heartbeat!!

• 1 month later...
How clean are these? I just dont know about it.. Im picky on who touches me.. Do they keep their hands cleans between people and clean the tables? Just wondering in case I decided on one.. Thanks

I'll be interested to see just what people post on this question. I've not been there so I don't know for sure, but I'd bet the answers are NO,,,,,NO,,,,and NO. Foreign countries are not nearly as sanitary as the US regulations. I wouldn't even be surprised if they continue to use the same towels from person to person. Oh ya, they are changed out, probably behind the scene someone is just refolding them and putting them right back out by the tables.

My recommendation,,,,if your looking for a cheap massage,,,you're going to get a cheap massage.

How clean are these? I just dont know about it.. Im picky on who touches me.. Do they keep their hands cleans between people and clean the tables? Just wondering in case I decided on one.. Thanks

I was really looking forward to having a massage..... until that..... Now I might be rethinking it lol

What's up with the slightly offensive stereotypical comments? Do some folks really think that the masseuses don't sanitize their hands between massages just because they're Mexican? Or use the same towels? Or steal your valuables while you are getting your rub?

Sheesh.

They're cheap because a) it's a different economy and they can charge less and b) that's what the tourists expect - everything in Mexico is cheap - and they wouldn't pay a quality spa experience because it's 'too expensive'.

Sorry for the rant. :)

What's up with the slightly offensive stereotypical comments? Do some folks really think that the masseuses don't sanitize their hands between massages just because they're Mexican? Or use the same towels? Or steal your valuables while you are getting your rub?

Sheesh.

They're cheap because a) it's a different economy and they can charge less and b) that's what the tourists expect - everything in Mexico is cheap - and they wouldn't pay a quality spa experience because it's 'too expensive'.

Im not stereo typing anyone.. I wouldnt even get a massage from here if it was on the street.. Id have to watch for a little while and see how clean they really are... I just wanted to know if anyone went to progresso how clean were they.. Im sorry if I offended you but I know they dont have the same expectations as our government...

Sheesh.

I guess if you want to call it a sterytypical comments, you can. I'm just saying bottom line it's a culture thing. Have you ever been abroad? If so you don't mind the men urinals along the sidwalks, fresh meat hanging fly covered from hooks at the market, or throwing your garbage out the window into the canal. Nothing against their habits, they can live as they wish, but I don't have to,,,,,,,, unless I choose to.

If none of this bothers a person, so be it, move on and enjoy life.

I'm not sure if I understand this massage fascination. I live in New York City, and in my neighborhood competition for massage services is intense. There are many places that advertise massage for as little as $18 per hour. Yes, $15 per hour in Progreso is less, but with all the money spent getting to Progreso, and the limited time in port there, is it really worth saving $3 and then shortchanging oneself from being able to fully explore the unique aspects of Mérida? Unless one is really hurting, I'd rather go exploring about a place far away and different from home, and save the massage for back home.

I guess it would also depend on if you had been to the port before. We will be stopping at Cozumel this cruise, but we are not leaving the ship as we have had many trips to that port already. I enjoy cruising for the relaxation and not necessary for the site seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Where I live massages are a lot more than $18 per hour. Plus on vacation you normally pay an even higher premium for massages. Many of us rarely, if ever, treat ourselves to a massage so it's something special to do on vacation. And the thought of having one on a beach with the sound of the ocean in the background. Ahhhh.... so relaxing and pampering. I love the idea of it and plan on doing this in Progreso.

Francie :)

Archived