Price of duty free cigarettes

Brewman-here

I can't remember exactly, but they were around £3 for twenty at the bar, a year or so ago.

Don't forget that you can only bring 200 back from the ship; slightly more expensive from an EU country, but you can bring back 3,200 from there.

The customs men do check, so save your receipts.....and make sure there's a duty paid sticker on the sleeve.

Golden Virginia was around £5.50 for 50g in Spain last year.

Jo.

Remember not to mix them....you can only bring back 200 or 5 packets of GV from the ship or a duty free shop, but you can bring 3,200 cigs or - it's either 50 or 60 packets of GV from a country in the EU...NOT Gibraltar- that doesn't count.

The last time we came back from Gib, on Ventura, the customs were out in force, catching people who'd risked it, and confiscating their cigs.....

Jo.

Remember not to mix them....you can only bring back 200 or 5 packets of GV from the ship or a duty free shop, but you can bring 3,200 cigs or - it's either 50 or 60 packets of GV from a country in the EU...NOT Gibraltar- that doesn't count.

The last time we came back from Gib, on Ventura, the customs were out in force, catching people who'd risked it, and confiscating their cigs.....

Jo.

Many thanks for the info Jo :)

So let me get this right.....i can buy 200 cigs and 5 Golden Virginia on board and then 3,000 cigs and 55 packets of Golden Virginia from eg Barcelona ?

I'm a bit dissapointed, i thought i would be able to buy the lot on board ship but seems like i'm going to have to carry it when we do excursions........mmmmmmm never mind it's saving me a fortune i suppose ;)

Many thanks for the info Jo :)

So let me get this right.....i can buy 200 cigs and 5 Golden Virginia on board and then 3,000 cigs and 55 packets of Golden Virginia from eg Barcelona ?

I'm a bit dissapointed, i thought i would be able to buy the lot on board ship but seems like i'm going to have to carry it when we do excursions........mmmmmmm never mind it's saving me a fortune i suppose ;)

Sorry but you can not bring back BOTH 200/3,000 cigs AND 5/55 G/V it is either/or. Your allowance is 200 cigs OR 5 packs G/V from outside the EU or 3,200 cigs OR 55 packs of hand rolling tabac from within the EU provided the local taxes have been paid, which is indicated by a "tax sticker" on each pack.

Sorry but you can not bring back BOTH 200/3,000 cigs AND 5/55 G/V it is either/or. Your allowance is 200 cigs OR 5 packs G/V from outside the EU or 3,200 cigs OR 55 packs of hand rolling tabac from within the EU provided the local taxes have been paid, which is indicated by a "tax sticker" on each pack.

Are you 100% sure about this ?

I have always brought back 3200 cigs and 3kg of hand rolling tobacco:eek:

Quote from Duty Free advice website -

When travelling from the EU* to the UK you do not have to pay any tax or duty on goods you have bought in another EU country as long as tax was included in the price when you purchased the items, the items are for your own use, and have been transported to the UK by you. This includes gifts, but does not include any item that is intended to be used as payment or to be resold.

• 3200 cigarettes
  • 400 cigarillos
  • 200 cigars
  • 3 kg of smoking tobacco
  • 110 litres of beer
  • 10 litres of spirits
  • 90 litres of wine
  • 20 litres of fortified wine e.g. port or sherry

Its not one or the other, in theory i could bring back all the items on this list however i nither rich or looking to have a heart attack !;)

Archived