Any Athens tours that focus on mythology?

BentPicketRanchGirl

Could you be a little more specific about what you're looking for? If you know a fair amount about mythology already, I suggest you simply visit some of the sites with a good guidebook and perhaps a basic mythology text. (This is what I tend to do.)

If you're looking for basic grounding in Greek mythology, that's easier done from a book or a class than with a tour -- since they are, after all, myths, there is not a lot of physical evidence, just things like statues, temples, etc. The Acropolis, for example, is mostly ALL about Athena, but you won't find a single statue of Athena remaining there today.

Cruiemom42, first of all I wanted to say I read your review of the museum and it was so incredible. I am printing it off to take with me. Last time I went it was a tiny museum and we had to go to London to see the real things (thanks to Lord Elgin). Regarding more specifics, the friend I am travelling with was so enamoured with Greek mythology as a kid that she has wanted to go to Greece ever since. Since we are both 50ish, something with a refresher on the mythology would be nice. I know I don't remember all that much. Unfortunately we booked the cruises a few days ago and leave on Nov 11th - less than a week away. Spur of the moment travel means the next week will be hectic getting things taken care of at work and packing. Won't be able to read up on mythology again. Thanks.

Thanks; you will really love the museum. :)

Rest assured that any good guide will be able to give you a bit of a "brush up" on mythology, particularly as it relates to any sites you are seeing.

For a quick "cheat sheet" you might consider printing this off and reading it over before you get to Athens.

http://www.naciente.com/essay103.htm

Also, keep in mind that you don't need to know everything before you go. Part of the joy of traveling is pursuing some of the things you discovered that really interest you when you get back home.

Hope that helps a bit. I'm afraid I really don't know of any tours that focus specifically on mythology.

Archived