NCL Star Mexico 12-15 Review

sweetiepie9339

Let me first say that the cruise was great and that I would do it all over again!

Service: Everything was great, very friendly and prompt. The only thing we missed were that there were no towel animals in our cabin.

Food: Great overall. Not bad like other reviews I have seen on here. Buffet food was surprisingly good, Espicially if you skip the main line and go to the ones by the windows- this is where there is "made to order” food is. They have waffles and omelets for breakfast and the dinner options change daily (one night they had burritos, tacos, and nachos made to order which were great). The only thing we didn't enjoy about the buffet were some of the rude people you had to deal with (pushing, cutting line, taking over your table before you finished) but I guess you find that everywhere. We just took our food to our balcony which was very nice. The special restaurants were wonderful- we love Endless Summer and we ate there twice- LaTotoria was ok but we are spoiled by a magnificent Italian place here at home- Cagneys way delicious well worth the money- and LeBristo was amazing. The only complaint I have was that the menus in the main dining rooms never seemed appealing and we never got to eat in them. They seemed to be catered to seafood and fish lovers- which we don't eat--- but if you do then I'm sure you'll love them too. Anyway almost every dish was fish or seafood and if it was chicken it was stuffed or covered in fish or seafood. I'm sure some of the nites they had other things- like on formal night the fillet minion - but we opted not to take formal attire (this being our 6th cruise and 1st on NCL freestyle we decided to embrace the wear what you will- and didn't take formal clothes... it was easier for packing and saved time getting ready ao was nice for a change- but if I hadn't already done one cruise this year where we did the formal nites and got pictures then I would be a little disappointed) so we ate at Cagneys and LeBristo on those nights. But I digress....

Ports & Shore Excursions:

Amazing. Much more exciting and beautiful than I had imagined. Very rugged and naturally beautiful. We didn't care for the city of Acapulco much- but the lights were beautiful at night. 1st let me say that we did all our excursions thru the ship since I was worried about the time difference (which is good that I did because the ship did change time twice, so it wasn't on LA time or on time with all the stops in Mexico which was a bit confusing).

In Acapulco we did the hiking excursion- great exercise with some great rewarding views.

In Zithuatuano we did the learn to SCUBA it was amazing... a little scary at 1st but the instructor (1 instructor to 4 students on our trip) was there to help and I soon got over my fears. After passing the tests he taught us- it was on to deeper water swimming right off the beach. Beautiful coral and fish on the reef. Saw and got to hold a puffer fish and a live star fish. The water was in the 80's even at 35 feet and we didn't even wear wet suits and were never cold.

In Puerto Vallarta we did the canopy tour. It was a neat off road adventure in a Unamog to get there, and then the tour itself was great. I am afraid of heights and still loved it- the staff was great and I always felt safe. The repel down was the hardest for me- but I did it none the less.

In Cabo we did the desert park ATV tour. I was planning to ride along with my husband- the ship said two could fit an ATV (and we are little) but there was no way. The ATV had safety instructions on it that said one person only. So- I got to learn how to drive and ATV and shift and everything ( I only drive automatics). It was really a lot of fun. Exciting ride with beautiful scenery of the desert and the ocean.

The Ship & Entertainment-

The ship was beautiful and very well kept. Decorated for Christmas in a very tasteful beautiful way. Artwork everywhere which was amazing- I wanted to take it home. We had a BB balcony cabin 9566, beautiful and roomy (the split bathroom was spacious and very nice), spent a ton of time on the balcony- saw many great sunrise and sunsets, and lots of sea life (turtles, dolphins, and a whale). Saw a few shows that were very nice- and also enjoyed the art auctions. However- we are both in our 20's and were often a bit bored- not many activities for us... all seemed to be catered to kids or the elderly (Bingo, Bingo, Bingo... no offence just not our thing and the pool was so overrun with kids playing games that we never could get in- well you could of if you wanted to get knocked over). This is the 1st time this happened to us on a cruise... usually there is so much to do! Instead we did a lot of relaxing which was also nice just different.

Spa- was wonderful. Nice pool and hot tubs to use that were free and not over run with kids. Also- one highlight of the week was our 1st massage ever (for ether of us). We got a couples hot stone massage and just melted away... amazing and well worth the money. We did it on couple’s night and so also got to enjoy a glass of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries free afterwards.

Other- The anniversary package was well worth the money-- champagne and chocolate strawberries in our room upon arrival, a picture, dinner at LeBristo with free wine, a party that we accidentally missed, and appetizers delivered one night from the captain (which were nice but were all seafood and so we didn't eat). But all that for around $80 was well worth it.

Anyway- here’s to the memories and many more cruises to come!!

Oh- one more thing. Anyone counting on Primetime Shuttle for a ride between airport and peir and vice versa should think again. Upon our pickup, it took us over 3 hours to get to our hotel leaving us no time to do anything in LA as we had a late afternoon flight and were staying by the peir, and then they were over an hour late picking us up from the cruise, and we almost missed our 2:00 flight. We did it this way because of our hotel- which was a package that included the transfers. However- they told us we had to go back to the hotel via hotel shuttle to get the primetime shuttle to the airport- and they had a reserved pickup time for us. Well- we were there earrily and as I said the shuttle almost never came. We called and complained, asked for our money back, asked for a taxi, but nothing was done and there were no taxis there during the time or we would have just gotten one. Anyway- It ended up being OK, because we made the flight.... But just for future reference I would take a taxi on my own... that way you don't have to stop and go way out of the way on a shuttle that is already very late.... it's not worth missing your flight.

You are so welcome. I hope you all have a great trip.

Oh- and the water was 84 degrees-- I couldn't remember exactly but my husband reminded me.

If anyone has any questions that I didn't answer feel free to ask and I'll give it a try. :)

Thanks so much for your thorough review! I am considering booking my 7th cruise aboard the Star (2nd with NCL) and until I read your review was really unsure about it based on other reviews. Your review was so reassuring that I can't wait to call my TA and tell her to book it. Thanks again!

Just wondering which hotel you stayed in pre cruise in LA. Did they offer free shuttle to the cruise pier? Free breakfast in the morning? Free shuttle from airport to the hotel? How far is it from the airport to the cruise ship? Is it a long ride time wise? thanks.

This is our first cruise on NCL, so obviously our first with Freestyle Dining. We're on the Star for the first Alaska cruise in May. So, on formal nights, I heard you say that you dined at restaurants other than the main dining room. So, if we choose not to bring formal wear, at which restaurants do we have a choice to dine? And which of those are free? We're bringing 5 kids so probably we won't do any dining that requires an additional charge. I appreciate your positive review, we're excited about the cruise!

Bill

Endless Summer- Tex Mex (really good Fajitas and Queadeillas, they bring chips, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream when you sit down... they also have good maragaritas for a fee of course). NO EXTRA CHARGE. NO FORMAL NIGHTS.

La Tattoria (?sp)- Is the Italialln. NO EXTRA CHARGE. NO FORMAL NIGHTS.

Le Bristo- French. We had great fillet minion here... and there starters were also very good. This is where we had the Choacalte Fondue-- very good- for desert. This is the place to leave the kids with a sitter and go for a romantic dinner. $15pp Charge. NO FORMAL NIGHTS. (Although you did see slacks w/ nice shirts all the way up to formal... it's how you want to dress but it's not a jeans and t-shirt place).

Cagneys- The steak house- also very good. Similar to Ruths Chris Steak house if you have one of those at home... $20pp. NO FORMAL NIGTHS. Althogh again- the dress was casual but elegent.

Ginza- think this is the Sushi place... never ate there. $12.50 per person. NO FORMAL NIGHTS. Some of the Sushi is al a carte pricing, and some is the 12.50 and then is all you can eat from my understanding.

Teppanyaki- they cook it in front of you... al a carte pricing. NO FORMAL NIGHTS.

The Soho Room- never ate here either... menu didn't appeal to us but I don't remember exactly what the food was either. $15.00 per person. NO FORMAL NIGHTS.

Buffets are available @ Market Cafe breakfast, lunch, and dinner: they always have one vegitarian line; Pool Side BBQ lunch almost every day... NO CHARGE.

Blue Laggon- 24 hours. Hamburgers, Fish and Chips, Chineese noodles... NO CHARGE.

Room Service- 24 hours. NO CHARGE.

Aqua & Versailles- the main dining rooms. Menu changes daily, but was the same in each resteraunt except that Aqua may have a the same dish with a lighter type of sauce. NO CHARGE. OPTIONAL FORMAL NIGHTS. To my undersanding this meant if you want to dine there you have to be formal on those nights that are formal (I know there was one because I saw everyone all dressed up... and I think there was one more but that was the night I was sea sick and stayed in so I'm not sure). So we didn't go on those nights... but I have seen some on here that said it meant you had the option of being formal in any restarunt that night... and then they were disappointed when others around them were not in formal attire.... so to me it means go to the main dining room in your formal wear to be around all the others who are too.

We stayed at the Sheratin right on the harbor. We got a package that included transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to airport- which I already talked about above. They also have a free shuttle from the hotel to the pier and vice versa. Our package also included free Champane upon arrival, and free breakfast for two. All very nice... although the breakfast wasn't the greatest. Our package called "Sail and Stay" was about 200 for one night and all of the above. Yes the ride from the airport to the hotel seemed very long... but we circled the airport 5 times until the shuttle was full, and then dropped people off all over the place... so I really don't know how long it would take in a taxi, but in a shuttle it took forever.... but oh well. :)

Sweetiepie - thanks for all the dining info. I really appreciate it! It all sounds GREAT! I love formal night, but think it might be nice not to have to go through all the hassle, at least once! I've been on 6 cruises where I had to force my hubby into formal wear, and I have a lifetime of cruising ahead of me, so maybe this time I will sit formal night(s) out! It'll sure make packing a heck of a lot easier!

Sweetiepie, thanks for the very complete and descriptive dining info. Yes, I think we'll pass on the formal wear this time. We do love dressing up (even me, the guy! And I just bought a tux). But I figure going to Alaska in May, we're going to be loaded on down jackets, down gloves, long underwear, boots and wool socks. Down hat if I can find it! And then the raingear. Thanks again.

Bill

Great review!

A couple of things. 1) Formal optional night means that if you want to dress formal you can and if you want to eat at Versailles, you must dress formal. I hope that made sense. Basically, you can dress formal if you want and eat anywhere you want and take the pictures, etc. But most people who dress formally will probably want to eat at Versailles where everyone who eats there that night MUST be in formal wear. The other main dining room, Aqua, is not designated formal wear only.

2) I stayed at the Sheraton too and stayed on the Club Floor. I think I paid around $100 or so. On the club floor there is a hosted happy hour (I don't remember what types of drinks besides the sodas that I got) with appetizers and then a free continental breakfast in the morning. From that room in the morning, you can see the Star as she sits waiting for you to board. *smile*

3) The shuttles from the Sheraton start at 10:30. I wanted to get there early and there were a bunch of people waiting for the shuttle, so I ended up snagging a cab that was dropping off someone.

Emi

We talked the shuttle guy into taking us over eairly around 9: 45 or so as he was going there anyway to pick up people getting off. :) We were in group 2 to board... it went by very fast.

As far as Aqua not being formal- I wish I would have realized that.... we could have gone! Oh well... we'll know next time.

The shuttle is free even if you don't have a package. Several passengers weren't even staying at the Sheraton, just dropping rental cars off at the Enterprise desk in the lobby.......from what I heard.

Really?? I have been trying to solve a rental car dilemma and you may have just made my day! We are staying in Venice but I needed a place close to port to drop a rental car. I will check with both Enterprise and the Sheraton on this hot tip! :)

have been trying to solve a rental car dilemma

Today I talked to Hertz in Lormita CA. They are very close to the San Pedro cruise ship terminal. I asked them if they have a shuttle to the port & they said no they don't but they will take $15 off your rental & call you a cab. He said it is about a 10-minute ride to the port & the $15 just about covers the fare.

We were looking at renting @ Enterprise, but we will be picking up the car in one either San Diego or Palm Springs (haven't decided which) & dropping it off in Lormita. Enterprise is not really in the "one way" business.

We usually rent from National but they do not have a shuttle to San Pedro. The lady there said it is anywhere from a $25-$35 cab fare, depending on traffic.

Archived