Experiences w double strollers?

SesameStreetCruisers

We have a 21 mo old and a 6 month old. We can't decide whether to bring a single and carry one of them around or let the big girl walk around or maybe bring our double jogger? We had just a single stroller the last cruise when out big girl was just 9 months old and sometimes struggled getting it in and out of the elevator. I can't imagine the double stroller in an elevator of a packed ship? It is great for storage however will take up a lot of room in the cabin as well. Anyone who has brought one onboard can chime in and say yes do it or no don't do it would be great

If you are talking about a side by side double think about it and you will have your answer. There are other people in the hallway, there are carts from the room stewards or people in wheelchairs. How will you get past them? Someone will have to back up to the side openings (cart & wheelchair) or if walking will have to force themselves into doorways to accommodate you.

We're going to do a single stroller and a baby carrier. Big one can walk, little one can ride or big one rides, little one gets carried. The elevators, hallways, everything is just too tight for our double!

DH and I have done 11 cruises, only one with our 8 month old. We now have a 5 yr old and 1.5 yr old. I would not recommend a jogger style double stroller. The only double stroller that would be remotely feasible to me would be a back to back double like a baby trend or Chico or grace. This is what I used for Disney last year. They are narrow and would work in the hallways and elevator but I wonder how this would work in the dining room, all depends on location of table. You might also want to consider 1 or 2 maclaren lightweight strollers. They are sturdy yet fold compactly and still comfy for little ones. Hope this helps.

My kids are 6, 4, and 2. We travel A LOT. I have a pretty decent double stroller collection (Mac, Aria, Grow2Love, and Mountain Buggy). But when we travel, we take 2 single strollers. We take the Baby Jogger City Mini single and a Mac Triumph single, and a good carrier. That way, one parent can take one kid and do something, and the other parent can take the other kiddo to do something. We've found that it works way better for us.

Carriers are so nice for waiting in line with squirmy toddlers! I always chuckle at the people waiting in line for Buzz Lightyear at Disney holding their 2-3 year olds trying to contain them. My 3 year old rides on my back in a BabyHawk Oh Snap quietly and happily for the entire wait. It is so much more pleasant!

As others have said' date=' the only double that would work is a tandem. I never had trouble with my Graco DuoGlider on cruises - but it does mean being patient waiting for elevators, etc.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

this is our exact double. what you you all mean by carrier? We have a baby bjorn for the little one. is that what carrier is? I personally think strapping a 2 year old to you is a bit ridiculous (and looks ridiculous too)

I put my 2.5 year old on my back in an ergo all the time.. She loves it.. I love it.. And i dont feel ridiculous at all.

Much rather her up on my back in a backpack almost weightless... then me holding her and my arms about to fall off.

Friends don't let friends buy Bjorns. Seriously, they suck.

Good carriers to look at... Beco Butterfly II or Gemini, Ergo, Boba, and BabyHawk's Oh Snap. My favorite for older toddlers is the Oh Snap and the Butterfly II, but the Gemini is good for little babies and older kids.

If you go on thebabywearer.com, there is a ton of information about baby carriers for older babies.

I would bring a single stroller and whatever baby carrier(s) are comfortable for you. The older one can walk while the younger rides, or can ride while baby is carried. DH loved the bjorn, which I hated. I liked a sling and the mai tei style carriers for myself.

I would buy another umbrella (if necessary) so you have 2 singles. You can get a cheap umbrella with a roof for $20-25, and it may be a life saver after a long day of walking. With a toddler, even a sea day can easily become a long day of walking. :D Worst case is that it takes up a bit of room, and it costs you the equivalent of 1 day of tips for your and DH.

I would not want to depend on a 21-month old walking routinely on the ship. There are just too many times/areas where traffic is such that they are too likely to get run over. Also, I would not want to be stuck moving at 21MO speed for a week.

It does depend on how much you are willing to carry both of them, but for the price of a cheap stroller, the risk/reward makes it an easy decision in my mind.

Archived