What Can Butlers Do For You? (Caution: Humor Ahead!)

Erica@cruisecritic

In fantasy or reality: What would you ask your butler to do? (Multiple choice)  

209 members have voted

1. 1. In fantasy or reality: What would you ask your butler to do? (Multiple choice)

• Facilitate an in-cabin cocktail party.
    • Bring me hot chocolate and cookies in bed.
    • Listen to all my bad jokes and old stories my travel companions don't want to hear.
    • Arrange for me to have the best table at dinner.
    • Ooh and ah over photos of my grandkids or pets.
    • Fill in whenever I need an extra player in my bridge/card/board game.
    • Find my key card that I inevitably lose in the mess of my cabin.
    • Convince my spouse that I really do need another spa treatment/golf lesson/cocktail.
    • Call my mother to tell her I'm having a great time on my cruise.
    • None of the above.
    • Something else, which I'll post below.

You may have heard by now that Silversea is planning to offer butler service to all passengers by the end of the year (the announcement was made this week during the annual Cruise Shipping Miami convention). Currently, only Royal, Grand and Owner's Suite guests benefit from the assistance of a butler. By mid-June, all Silver and Medallion Suites will have butler service and by early December, all accommodations will have access to this perk. Silversea's new Silver Spirit will debut in December with butler service for all already in place.

So what does a butler do? Silversea gives some examples, including unpacking clothing, preparing a scented Jacuzzi bath and facilitating a dry cleaning request. But scented bath aside, those chores are so mundane – which got us thinking about some of the more indulgent tasks you might ask a butler to handle. Vote in our poll and please share your opinions below on how you would employ a cruise ship butler -- either in reality or in your best cruise ship fantasy!

For the most part I am a private person who would not be thrilled about some 3rd world island boy handling my BVD's. Been on many cruises, (25) and I have never felt the need nor the desire for a "Butler". When I'm on vacation that is "baggage" I don't need.

Had an executive floor upgrade once that came with a maid (lady butler/ whatever). We were jet lagged & knackered (Brit speak for very tired).

Never in my life have I been so tempted to tell somebody doing their job well to get lost.

Absolutely no thank you. A concierge service down the hall or by phone is just fine by us.

Don't need and dob't want butler. The cabin stewrd is intrusive enough.

I will use a concierge service to book reservations, excursions etc. Butler is an over kill. I want privacy in my cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

Those cookies in bed sound great! If only butlers really did provide that service. I've never had a butler, but I could see using one to set up a nice little party or make dinner reservations. (I agree that I would not want anyone to unpack for me; I don't want a valet.)

Archived