Generation Gap....

1of4

Is alive and well...I booked DD and I on the 14 day China and Japan cruise for 2014 and have been busy researching ports, flights, hotels, etc since getting to work proved impossible on Friday and Monday.

Last night DH came up to tell me DD was on the computer doing some research herself...what to buy!:eek::rolleyes: She has settled on a kimono, a parasol, a kite for her brother from Vietnam, and "one of those kitties with its paw in the air....". Somehow researching shopping didn't occur to me as the first priority.:p

But she also downloaded an app to her Kobo reader that translated Japanese words which will be very helpful. Words in all categories devided into subjects like food, hotel, transportation. Not only that, it says them outloud so you just have to choose the word and hold the devise so the person you are asking to hear what it is you want...no butchering the language!

Phew....I would NEVER have thought of that either!

Is alive and well...I booked DD and I on the 14 day China and Japan cruise for 2014 and have been busy researching ports, flights, hotels, etc since getting to work proved impossible on Friday and Monday.

Last night DH came up to tell me DD was on the computer doing some research herself...what to buy!:eek::rolleyes: She has settled on a kimono, a parasol, a kite for her brother from Vietnam, and "one of those kitties with its paw in the air....". Somehow researching shopping didn't occur to me as the first priority.:p

But she also downloaded an app to her Kobo reader that translated Japanese words which will be very helpful. Words in all categories devided into subjects like food, hotel, transportation. Not only that, it says them outloud so you just have to choose the word and hold the devise so the person you are asking to hear what it is you want...no butchering the language!

You and your daughter will have an amazing cruise. I would love to try a Far East cruise but the flights from here would be brutal so we have discounted the idea as an option. I hope you will post a review of your experiences, shopping and otherwise. :)

Natalie is way ahead of the rest of us:) I must look for an app like that for my Ipad;)

You and your daughter will have an amazing cruise. I would love to try a Far East cruise but the flights from here would be brutal so we have discounted the idea as an option. I hope you will post a review of your experiences, shopping and otherwise. :)

Thanks Sapper, I am trying not to think about the flights.... Yes, I will post a review when I get adjusted back to our home time zone and hopefully before the Volendam gets back to Vancouver! Although I must say I wish I could do the transpacific leg too and avoid the flight.

Kazu - I will ask her where she found it and let you know. I was impressed with her initiative. She is very excited and already researching the countries as I told her that since she is bored in school and often runs out of things to do she can use her time to get informed of where we are going and what she may want to see. I just didn't expect her to search "what to buy in....":eek: I told her she had best start saving her pennies...oops...allowance!

Fun!! That cruise is on my bucket list . Traveling with our kids is always such an adventure ....we really get a different perspective !

I agree. I am looking forward to not only seeing The Great Wall of China, something I have wanted to do since I was her age, but also seeing it through her eyes. It will be special.

I'm not sure how old your DD is, but I took my son to Japan for two weeks between his sophomore and junior years in high school (it was where he most wanted to go, having been to Europe several times). We had a blast.

I tried to arrange some things that would appeal to him in addition to those that appealed to me. If you can, be sure to visit some of the "hot spots" in Tokyo like the famous Shibuya crossing (amazing) and the Harajuku and Akihabara districts, both meccas for young Japanese culture.

Also, the Hiroshima park and museum was an intense experience (if you are stopping there) but we both got a lot out of it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for young kids....

Enjoy your trip. I'm a big supporter of traveling with kids. DS is now a junior in college and still doesn't mind traveling with mom. Most recently we spent a week in Paris between Christmas and New Years. :)

I have a few 'translate' apps on my devices. Since I'm probably a generation older than the OP, not to mention her DD, I don't think it is a generation thing. Part of my research into new ports of course involves shopping. I guess I'm much younger than the candles on my birthday cake indicate by the OP's standards. ;)

One of the first things I do when booking a trip to a new country is to make sure they will handle the language there. They all do a great job translating the foreign languages I know so I expect they do the same with the ones where I don't have a clue, like Chinese and Japanese. Since my devices also have a microphone, the apps claim they can translate the spoken word, but I've never tested that feature. The apps allow me to save key phrases so they are immediately available when the need arises.

I'm not sure how old your DD is, but I took my son to Japan for two weeks between his sophomore and junior years in high school

If you can, be sure to visit some of the "hot spots" in Tokyo like the famous Shibuya crossing (amazing) and the Harajuku and Akihabara districts, both meccas for young Japanese culture.

Also, the Hiroshima park and museum was an intense experience (if you are stopping there) but we both got a lot out of it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for young kids....

Thank you so much for this information. I am open to any and all information on sights and tours that you may have. I don't have a clue where to go, yet, as I am just starting my research. I will definately look into where you suggested.

Natalie will be 12.5 and will be finishing up grade 7 when we cruise...but she doesn't miss a beat and takes it all in. Interesting about Hiroshima Park and museum as that was on my list. Please share your viewpoint as she is very interested in everything to do with WWII right now and is an avid reader. Is it THAT graphic that it may be disturbing?

I have a few 'translate' apps on my devices. Since I'm probably a generation older than the OP, not to mention her DD, I don't think it is a generation thing. Part of my research into new ports of course involves shopping. I guess I'm much younger than the candles on my birthday cake indicate by the OP's standards. ;)

:D Funny. I don't even have to devices to add the apps to!

I just haven't turned my mind to shopping yet.... I found it interesting that Natalie (currently 11) thought about translation. I am 50 so was old(er) than average when she came along after a battle with cancer - so I thought I wouldn't be blessed to have kids. Now I know that I am!:)

I remember backpacking through Europe in my younger days and the only place I felt a bit un-nerved was Italy as I could get by with French or English in all other countries...with a few (polite) hand gestures:p. I remember in Florence not knowing if I was being pick-pocked or someone was putting their hands were they didn't belong (nothing in my back pockets....):eek: Then some Kiwi boys came to my rescue, alas I am no longer young and slim to attract that kind of assistance!!

So now that I will be on this cruise and touring, both before and after, that feeling came back to me, only this time I will be responsible for Natalie too which brings a whole new spin on it for me. Funny how you are willing to take more risks when you are only responsible for yourself; throw in a dependant and the nature of the risks you are willing to take change, or they have for me.

To echo Sail7Seas, thank you for continuing to share.

I cannot speak to the current situation in China, but you will find Japan very safe and friendly. People are very helpful and kind. Any specific questions you may have about sightseeing might get a good response on the "Ports of Call - Asia" board. There is a lot of good information to be had there.

Kate

Thank you so much for this information. I am open to any and all information on sights and tours that you may have. I don't have a clue where to go, yet, as I am just starting my research. I will definately look into where you suggested.

Natalie will be 12.5 and will be finishing up grade 7 when we cruise...but she doesn't miss a beat and takes it all in. Interesting about Hiroshima Park and museum as that was on my list. Please share your viewpoint as she is very interested in everything to do with WWII right now and is an avid reader. Is it THAT graphic that it may be disturbing?

I'll look up my planning info and post any links that seem worthwhile. I planned the two weeks entirely with the exception of 2 days where we took a day trip. The Tripadvisor boards for Tokyo and Kyoto were extremely helpful with advice.

I think Hiroshima peace park and museum would be fine for a thoughtful and mature 12.5 year old. It's not that the experience is graphic, it is just very powerful and can be emotional. You really grasp the magnitude and immediacy of what happened, from the large scale (the iconic bombed out building in the center of the park) to the small scale (a twisted metal tricycle that really got to me).

Here's a book I would highly recommend that tells about the bombing from the point of view of several survivors. I believe it was written a year after the bombing and won several awards. My son read it too; I'd suggest you read it first and see if you think it is appropriate for your DD. (I think they read it in a lot of HS history classes.)

http://www.amazon.com/Hiroshima-John-Hersey/dp/0679721037

And on a more lighthearted note, some info on the "Harajuku girls":

http://www.japaninc.com/article.php?articleID=1454

I am on lunch and researching my heart out....

Sail and Kirin: Thank you for letting me know that my anticipation is not an annoyance; I would hate that. Also, Kirin thank you for putting my mind at ease. Knowing that Japan is safe is very helpful as we will, most likely, be on our own while there.

Natalie has visions of cherry blossoms dancing in her head...and showing up for the first formal dinner in a Kimono and Obi and perhaps a new parasol! Do you think anyone will miss her on the ship? She asked last night "mummy, won't you wear a Kimono too". I said I would think about it... Next thing she will ask is if we can try out her brother's kite that she hopes to buy in Busan off the aft of the ship!:p

Cruisemum42 - thanks so much for the opinion and references. I will certainly look them up.

I think a trip into the closest Chapters/Indigo (50 minutes east of us) is in order for the weekend.

The translator apps can be very helpful, but don't forget that in order to use them, you must be in a free wi-fi area. I discovered that my London tube apps were not nearly as helpful when I couldn't always access them on the streets of London! Anyway, you will find that English is widely spoken in Japan, so the apps may not even be necessary. I love Japan! It is clean, modern, and the people are so friendly and helpful. Wish I were going.

Archived