Need info on hotels near LGA

jakesnana

I am looking for some help from the NYC experts. I am looking for a hotel near LGA that will be within walking distance to some restaurants for dinner and breakfast. We are getting into LGA late and since my husband dosn't like big cities, he has no desire to go downtown. However, I have not found anything that has dining options, besides the hotel restaurants. I REALLY hate to be held hostage to a hotel restaurant, with mostly lousy food and high prices. TIA for your help.

by la guardia, not much dining options around except hotels. i reccommend the la guardia plaza hotel.

I looked at that hotel, but they didn't even offer a continental breakfast and I read a review that the only option available for breakfast was a buffet that cost $15+ per person. I don't eat much, but I NEED to have something for breakfast and it KILLS me to pay $15.00 for a muffin and coffee.

In comparison, the LaGuardia Airport Hotel offers everything that the Plaza offers, plus breakfast, and is only $15.00 more for the night. What is your opinion of this hotel?

What is your budget for the hotel and arrival/departure dates, assumed it is for just one night/quick stopover? The Marco Hotel at nearby Flushing - a 10 to 15 minutes ride by taxi or hotel's own free, courtesy shuttle to/from LGA (5 am to midnight) might be of interest - it has good reviews on Tripadvisors and midweek Summer rates for August is a little bit higher than what you are looking at - might be able to get it lowered via Hotwire or even tried using Priceline - around $169/night + taxes/fees for a King room, double occupancy.

http://www.marcolaguardiahotel.com/

It's on Northern Blvd. next to the historic Flushing Town Hall and you will surrounded by a wide choice of mostly Asian restaurants, cafes & stores - Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian and Vietnamese, many of them are open late past midnight, all within 10 minutes walking distance - ideal if you are hungry after landing at LGA. Corner deli is open early in the morning, serving breakfast rolls, bagels, eggs, coffee & juice over the counter.

The Sheraton LaGuardia in downtown Flushing is a few blocks away, has free LGA shuttle, but typically charged $200/nightly.

Just avoid those Red Roof Inn & Comfort Inn in the area entirely to save a few bucks if you are looking at those in Flushing.

I just want to clarify what mking has told you. Flushing is sort of like "Asia town" Will hubby be comfortable with all the stores and businesses with signage in Chinese/Korean if he isn't comfortable going into "downtown"? Flushing is urban also. This is NYC, afterall.

What is your budget for the hotel and arrival/departure dates, assumed it is for just one night/quick stopover? The Marco Hotel at nearby Flushing - a 10 to 15 minutes ride by taxi or hotel's own free, courtesy shuttle to/from LGA (5 am to midnight) might be of interest - it has good reviews on Tripadvisors and midweek Summer rates for August is a little bit higher than what you are looking at - might be able to get it lowered via Hotwire or even tried using Priceline - around $169/night + taxes/fees for a King room, double occupancy.

It's on Northern Blvd. next to the historic Flushing Town Hall and you will surrounded by a wide choice of mostly Asian restaurants, cafes & stores - Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian and Vietnamese, many of them are open late past midnight, all within 10 minutes walking distance - ideal if you are hungry after landing at LGA. Corner deli is open early in the morning, serving breakfast rolls, bagels, eggs, coffee & juice over the counter.

The Sheraton LaGuardia in downtown Flushing is a few blocks away, has free LGA shuttle, but typically charged $200/nightly.

Just avoid those Red Roof Inn & Comfort Inn in the area entirely to save a few bucks if you are looking at those in Flushing.

Thanks for the help !! We are arriving around 5:00 PM on 9/29 for a 9/30 sailing. I'm not sure how comfortable he will be staying in Asia town, as one of you referred to it. He did travel to Tokoyo on business, when he was working, and thought it was the cleanest, most polite city he had ever visited, so who knows.

I have found a 3* hotel on Hotwire for $89 in the LGA area, which seems like a good deal. It provides airport transportation (which may or may not be extra), internet and free breakfast. By comparing the descripton at biddingfortravel and Expedia it appears it is probably the Clarion or Holiday Inn, both of which are acceptable to me. I'll ask DH if he minds staying in downtown Flushing before I make a decision.

Thanks again for all of your help.

This hotel looks very nice, but I just checked the rates for the night I need and it's $179. I even called to see if they had a TA rate, which they don't. I'm not sure how I would identify it, if I were trying to get it on Hotwire or Priceline. Do you have any insight into that? Thanks

Flushing is sort of like "Asia town" Will hubby be comfortable with all the stores and businesses with signage in Chinese/Korean if he isn't comfortable going into "downtown"? Flushing is urban also. This is NYC, afterall.

It's not just "Asia town". Flushing Queens is now the LARGEST Chinatown in the USA. Bigger than San Francisco, considerably bigger now than Canal Chinatown. A LOT of the Manhattan Asians moved to Queens as well as all the new immigrants. We do a lot of food business which used to be in the Canal neighborhood that is now in Queens.

The area is PACKED with people. Can hardly walk the streets up until 10PM. And the area sure doesn't have the ambiance that Canal had.

In comparison, the LaGuardia Airport Hotel offers everything that the Plaza offers, plus breakfast, and is only $15.00 more for the night. What is your opinion of this hotel?

Stay away-FAR away. It is a dump. I went into the lobby once. Looked like a SRO/transient hotel. The outside looks bad enough (looks like an industrial prison), the lobby was crap. Wouldn't even want to see the rooms.

or the hampton inn?

Hampton Inn is next door to the LaGuardia Plaza (which used to be the Crowne Plaza) and owned by the same people. When the owners built the Hampton Inn (which is a Hilton hotel) they had to choose between one hotel chain or the other-Hilton vs InterContinental Hotel Group.

The manager of the LaGuardia Plaza told me the owners chose to rebrand the Crowne because it would be very hard to sell a new motel type property in the LGA area that did not have a "chain" name. The Crowne had been there for a long time and had a well established clientele.

The Hampton is usually more expensive than the LaGuardia Plaza. Breakfast is at the LaGuardia Plaza (they give you vouchers). You can use the fitness center next door. If people knew they were paying $25-40 MORE at the Hampton Inn just for breakfast, they would be very surprised. The owners weren't fools branding their new hotel part of a chain.

I looked at that hotel, but they didn't even offer a continental breakfast and I read a review that the only option available for breakfast was a buffet that cost $15+ per person. I don't eat much, but I NEED to have something for breakfast and it KILLS me to pay $15.00 for a muffin and coffee.

The LaGuardia Plaza sells pastries and coffee in the gift shop. The breakfast buffet is very good-lots of different food items plus cooked to order omelettes and eggs. Across the street from the LaGuardia Plaza is the Marriott. The food in the bar for dinner is very good and not as expensive as a lot of hotel food. The chocolate cake is to die for. I was in there about 3 months ago-filet, salad, baked potato, veggie, chocolate cake, ice tea and kahlua on the rocks-$36.00 with tip (I checked my expense report)

The LaGuardia Plaza also serves food in the bar at night which is pretty darn good. The white tablecloth, sit down restaurant at both the Marriott and LaGuardia Plaza are more expensive and a blah experience.

Check out LGA for dinner. In Terminal B, there is a Todd English restaurant in the food court. In Terminal D, Pat LaFrieda has a name branded restaurant that serves fantastic hamburgers. For those that don't know, LaFrieda is one of the premier meat purveyors in NYC along with Strassburger and Weischel. Those three sell meat to 95% of the top restaurants in NYC. There is also a steakhouse in Terminal D-Prime Tavern owned by Michael Lomanco. Lots of choices in the food courts at LGA for dinner.

You could always order delivery from a local restaurant/pizza place/Chinese food etc.

and eat in your room if you can not bear the hotel restaurant.

I agree if you do not want to be in Manhattan you DO NOT WENT TO EVEN CONSIDER Flushing. Flushing will feel more crowded then Manhattan in the evening.

Archived