Key West Beaches

catty

My husband, daughter, son-in-law and I will be on the Freedom in May. Can you tell me where the best beaches for swimming and laying out would be? Can you take the trolley to get there?

thanks

My husband, daughter, son-in-law and I will be on the Freedom in May. Can you tell me where the best beaches for swimming and laying out would be? Can you take the trolley to get there?

thanks

The beaches are all along the south side of the island right next to each other.

KeyWestLg.jpg

I just watched a show on the Travel Channel yesterday titled "Ten Best Beaches of Florida". Smathers Beach in Key West was one of the top ones listed. It looked very nice. And by very nice I mean lots of women walking around in thong bikini's.:D

We've been to Key West many times. Compared to other places in Florida, or even the Keys, Key West beaches are not the greatest.

Smathers Beach is a little better than the others. We always seem to have a lot of seaweed when we are there. Maybe it is just our bad luck.

I would enjoy the action on Duval St. and have a beach day somewhere else. It's just my opinion, please don't flame me:(!

I agree with a pp. I love Key West....but I don't go there for the beach. Compared to other places in FL and in the Caribbean, the beaches are frankly "eh".

With that being said there are some cool things to do in Key West. Great Snorkeling....good shopping....and if you love marine life, there are some excellent dolphin excurions. Right off of Key West there is an area that is referred to as the "dolphin playground". It's not unusual to see 6 or 7+ different pods of dolphins.

We've been to Key West many times. Compared to other places in Florida, or even the Keys, Key West beaches are not the greatest.

Smathers Beach is a little better than the others. We always seem to have a lot of seaweed when we are there. Maybe it is just our bad luck.

I would enjoy the action on Duval St. and have a beach day somewhere else. It's just my opinion, please don't flame me:(!

No flame. Your advice is dead on. All the beaches are man-made and somewhat less than desirable when compared to the Atlantic coast or the gulf beaches on the panhandle of Florida.

Mike:)

thanks

For one-dayers off a cruise ship, the best would be the beach at Fort Zachery Taylor...

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

It's about 6 - 7 blocks down Whitehead once you are off the docks, there is an admission fee, but then you can rent chaors, snorkeling equipment, and have a drink if you like. It's close enough so that you could spend a morning there, go back to the ship and change, then explore Duval Street.

Pjk

For one-dayers off a cruise ship, the best would be the beach at Fort Zachery Taylor...

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

It's about 6 - 7 blocks down Whitehead once you are off the docks, there is an admission fee, but then you can rent chaors, snorkeling equipment, and have a drink if you like. It's close enough so that you could spend a morning there, go back to the ship and change, then explore Duval Street.

Pjk

we did this last year. had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Key West, but the beaches (even Key West's best beach), doesn't compare to the other islands. Enjoy some of the unique things to do in Key West and Save your beach day for one of the other islands. They are all man made and tourists complain about the beaches (or lack of) more than ANYTHING else in Key West.

Archived