What Are The Chances That I Would Get Sea-sick?

Chowder_17

This is our 1st cruise coming up and I was curious what were my chances of getting sea-sick so I can get medication in advance if need be? I've done plenty of long car rides, a few 12+ hr plane rides, been in a few military aircraft, and a dinner cruise without any issues, but nothing like being on a boat for 7 days....What do you think?

Of course everyone is different as well as the conditions of each sailing. However I am one who is prone to getting sea sick and on my first cruise I started to take ginger root pills a couple of days in advance and throughout the cruise. The day of the cruise I started to take Meclizine and took it every night for the cruise and never had a problem.

I don't think it's a question of duration as much as it is motion. If you've not had any real issues in the past I suspect you'll be fine.

Having said that, seasick meds are available at both the Purser's (Guest Services...) Desk and the Dispensary.

I always bring along ginger capsules, not for me but for friends who might have some problems. Ginger does a great job of calming wobbly tummies...

:)

Don't worry too much about it. I think sometimes people worry so much about it they make themselves more sick. I once read that motion sickness was 50% the motion and 50% the person thinking about the motion.

I've always carried some ginger candy and non-drowsy dramamine just in case but have never needed it in seven cruises -even in 20 foot seas. So you may be just fine. You can also get meds from the infirmary or purser if you do feel ill. I've also been told by friends who do suffer from motion sickness to get outside, watch the horizon, and get something like apples or crackers on your stomach even though the last thing you feel like is food.

Seasickness is just a variation of motion sickness so if you don't experience problems in these other settings it becomes less likely. In the right circumstances however, almost anyone can become seasick. But the big ships have great stabilzers so it is not as much an issue unless you hit rough seas. Some 10-60% of the population routinely experiences some degree of motion sickness (obviously nobody knows very precisely) so bring along something in case you start feeling ill.

This is our 1st cruise coming up and I was curious what were my chances of getting sea-sick so I can get medication in advance if need be? I've done plenty of long car rides, a few 12+ hr plane rides, been in a few military aircraft, and a dinner cruise without any issues, but nothing like being on a boat for 7 days....What do you think?

Everyone is different. Some will tell you that you won't feel the movement, while others will tell you horror stories about being sick their whole cruise.

I'll give you my story...

I took Bonine the night before our flight (the day before our cruise) and took it every night before bed until I got home. I didn't have one ounce of sea-sickness and I felt great, energized the whole cruise.

My husband (Mr. Hard Head) didn't take anything, and by dinner the first night he was green and we missed out on some delicious tomato bisque because he was so ill. I opted for room service while he prayed to the porcelain gods. I MADE him take a Bonine before bed and he agreed to give it a shot. The next day he was perfect, just like me. We had a great rest of the cruise. This time he promised to take it before we even leave home because he doesn't want to go through it again.

I've never had a problem with any kind of motion sickness through flights or anything else - and I've taken some very long flights around the world. However, I would rather not be brave by not taking meds and wind up getting sick on the ship. Even though the pursers desk has meds, if I wait until I'm sick then I lose a day of being miserable. So my MO on cruises has always been start taking bonine or something similar one day before the cruise and take it until I get off the boat. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No one else any way of knowing how you will react to seasickness. If you are worried it about take some meds with you just in case you need them. I hope are able to cruise without getting sick. Thankfully I do not get seasick but I do feel for those that do.

My last cruise - I went to wally-world & bought Bonine - took 1 every am & 1 every evening - I was fine the whole week! Good luck!

prescription meds have bad side effects beware!!

If you get a decent storm, and the waves are 8+ feet for an extended period of time, you have a good chance of getting nauseous. Take something along just in case. I took Dramamine, but after 10 hours, no vomiting, just no appetite. Others weren't so lucky.

If you're worried about getting sea sick, then you probably will. The cure is very simple. As the others above have suggested, go to Walgreens, or Wally World, or your local pharmacy, get Bonine, or Meclizine (same thing) and take one every morning, whether you think you'll need it or not. You can even take one a day or two before you sail, just to satisfy yourself that you won't have any side effects. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) gets motion sickness VERY easily, and the above is what she does, and we've NEVER had any problem with motion sickness.

Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

Skymaster is right on. I was on Radiance last week. It was rough seas on the first day and last day. I had wrist bands on, and took Meclazine every morning. Never felt a thing. Did not even think about it. Slept better than I do on land.

I am a pilot and do some areobatics, and never got sick.

Besides the drugs and wrist bands, stay busy and you will not even think about it.

If you keep thinking about it, you will make yourself sick in calm seas. Don't obsess. Besides, you will eat so much, you won't have a chance to be sick.

On my 1st cruise I got sea sick but it was a smaller ship. Since then I have only sailed on larger ships and I have been fine. I have never gone on a smaller ship since and will not ever.

Being sea sick to me was the worst feeling in my life and thankfully I have never been exposed to a hospital in 46 years. I cannot explain the feeling but it was horrid to me. My husband picked a perfect night after a great dinner and proposed to me along the back of the ship. OMG, It was extremely romantic BUT I was so sickly feeling during that time. I said yes and apologized because I could not even stand anymore. I will never forget his proposal but I don't think puking is on a top ten list.

I brought ginger along on my second cruise just in case but I was fine.

Don't worry too much about it. I think sometimes people worry so much about it they make themselves more sick. I once read that motion sickness was 50% the motion and 50% the person thinking about the motion.

This is a myth...it is not mentaly induced....it is in your ear...Some people have more problems than others. And in different situations.

Highly suggest Bonine or its generic...

NO side affects. (Of course check with your doctor.)Take one every night before bed. Two if its really rough. I have never been seasick when I take it.

Also eat..dry food like crackers, mashed potatoes..bread. and I have heard green apples.

Try the ginger before you go..it makes me have heartburn.

I am also a person who can fly, drive, ride in the back seat for hours and never feel queezy. I have been on 12 cruises and have only taken one pill one time. Otherwise, I have never felt the least bit squeamish. There have been times when merchandise has fallen off the shelves in the shops, and I didn't have the least bit of an upset stomach. Those ships have stabilizers that work very well.

You are also on and off the ship, spending a lot of that 7 days on land. I bet you will be fine. There are different pills that you can get on the ship if you need them. I would not worry.

Archived