Live from the Emerald - Bummer!!!

jonikal

An hour out of FLL our engines quit! We were a floating paperweight for 4 hours as they tried to repair generator and computer problems, Meanwhile, of course, no a/c, limited lights and cancellation of shows, entertainment, etc. The dinner menu was limited to a few items and the poor waiters were melting in their uniforms! I had a straw fan (normally used for muster) and could have sold it many times last night! This morning we wake up and are informed that our stop in Princess Cays has been canceled due to the delay!

It would seem they could have made it and let people have a few hours there, but that's not going to happen. They've had to scramble to put together a hasty on-board entertainment program for an unexpected sea day. Keeping fingers crossed that we'll make the rest of the schedule w/o incident!

Whilst Princess Cays is very enjoyable I don't think you have missed too much so don't let it ruin the rest of your cruise.

We got off Emerald 3 weeks ago and have looked at the webcam everyday since! Sad or what?

Peter

They will probably compensate you in some way, I assume. I remember missing a port once because the ships thrusters were not working and I believe we got a $75 credit per person. That added up to a nice credit for our family of 5 and we spent the money doing an extra excursion we hadn't planned on.

They will probably compensate you in some way, I assume. I remember missing a port once because the ships thrusters were not working and I believe we got a $75 credit per person. That added up to a nice credit for our family of 5 and we spent the money doing an extra excursion we hadn't planned on.

Usually they only credit your account with the port fees.......of course there are exceptions, really if they were running 4 hours or so behind schedule it would not make sense to stop at PC............too much work involved for such a short stay...........

An hour out of FLL our engines quit! We were a floating paperweight for 4 hours as they tried to repair generator and computer problems, Meanwhile, of course, no a/c, limited lights and cancellation of shows, entertainment, etc. The dinner menu was limited to a few items and the poor waiters were melting in their uniforms! I had a straw fan (normally used for muster) and could have sold it many times last night! This morning we wake up and are informed that our stop in Princess Cays has been canceled due to the delay!

It would seem they could have made it and let people have a few hours there, but that's not going to happen. They've had to scramble to put together a hasty on-board entertainment program for an unexpected sea day. Keeping fingers crossed that we'll make the rest of the schedule w/o incident!

You might be interested to note that your post made a national newspaper. You were quoted in today's issue of USA Today.

Usually they only credit your account with the port fees.......of course there are exceptions, ...........

This is usually if weather related and not the fault of the cruise line. If the missed port is the fault of the ship having a mechanical problem, then compensation is usually given. So, I would expect a shipboard credit will be given to each passenger onboard. It's happened to us several times in the past, and Princess has always given more than just the port fees. ;)

This is usually if weather related and not the fault of the cruise line. If the missed port is the fault of the ship having a mechanical problem, then compensation is usually given. So, I would expect a shipboard credit will be given to each passenger onboard. It's happened to us several times in the past, and Princess has always given more than just the port fees. ;)

The last time we missed a port because of mechanical difficulty, we received $100/PP.

How awful! We were just at the port yesterday and watched the Emerald sail away - who would have thought? I'll echo the comments of the other posters that you'll be getting some compensation from Princess for missing Princess Cays. Here's hoping things get better and there are no more mechanical problems for the rest of your cruise!

We were on the first sailing last May when Swine Flu/H1N1 all started and cruise lines canceled all ships to Mexico. We were on Sapphire Princess which did the California Coast and we were compensated half our cruise fare to book another cruise by April 2011. I thought this was more then fair of Princess. They look out for their passengers!

We are on Emerald Princess Sept 4th sailing, hope the problem is fixed by then!

Whilst I'm sympathetic to the loss of a visit to Prncess Cays I fail to understand why it should prompt compensation claims.

Mechanical breakdowns happen and people should understand that on a ship, mechanical mishaps can never be ruled out.

No doubt there will be a lawyer on board threatening to sue for a full refund because his whole holiday has been completely ruined.

Now sitting in my trench with my Helmet strapped on ready for the flack.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/07/emerald-princess-cruises-cruise-engine-power-trouble/101197/1

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Wow, that's quite some reporting by USA today.

With no offense to the original poster, it seems rather extreme

for USA to quote some unverified source who happened to

post something on the internet.

I mean, they don't even know the person's name, nor that they

were even actually on the ship.

When we went on the Ultimate Ship's Tour on the Crown in January, one of the stops was the engine control room.

Yeah, without the computers, it is surprising anything worked at all; the entire room was just banks of identical computer terminals, no "direct" controls at all. The bridge wasn't much different; they had a bunch of levers and things to turn, but I'm pretty sure they were just hooked into the computers too. (From the Port/Starboard outboard ship control stations, the "wheel" was about the size of a telephone dial.)

SirWired

Whilst Princess Cays is very enjoyable I don't think you have missed too much so don't let it ruin the rest of your cruise.

We got off Emerald 3 weeks ago and have looked at the webcam everyday since! Sad or what?

Peter

Join the club! I looked for months after my holiday and have been looking again as we go in 3 weeks. You must have had a good time, happy memories so I don't think your sad or mad!!

Archived