Ice Climbing?

jenonymous

DH just told me he'd love to go ice climbing while on our cruise, more than anything else! We are going on the NCL Pearl 6/30-7/7/13, Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan/Victoria. I didn't see any NCL excursions offering this and am not familiar w/all the other (good) tour operators. Can anyone recommend something for him? It can be something simple to even a bit more strenuous...DH is very physically fit (although no ice climbing experience :) ). Thanks!

I'm not sure how long you are in your ports and have no information or experience with this company, but I was able to google "Alaksa ice climbing excursions" and found Above and Beyond Alaska (www.beyondak.com) that offers a private Mendenhall Trek and Ice Climb. Hopefully this helps or at least gives you a place to start from.

We actually did the glacier trek with Above and Beyond Alaska. You definitely need at least 7 hours. We departed the ship at 0830 and returned at 1629, with all aboard at 1630 for 1700 departure from Juneau. Our 12 year old did it much more easily than I did, but you'd need a private tour for your 8 year old. The youngest age for the group tour was 12.

Above and Beyond is a great company and they dont just do private tours. No flight needed - you get to the glacier by hiking to it. I thonk you need 5-7 hours for this hike.

From my email response from the company, the ice-climbing is only part of the private tour. I do believe I read where someone did get the chance on the regular tour, but it is not to be expected.

The standard hike needs 7.5 hours including travel times to and from port.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a company that runs tours like this out of Skagway? I have searched and searched but seem to only find trips out of Juneau, where our time is much shorter. Taking a helicopter flight to the glacier would be fine (and I assume the only option...prob no hiking to a glacier in Skagway?), as long as he gets to trek/ice climb on the glacier.

Thanks!

The good ice climbs are low-elevation waterfalls, so don't exist in the summer. You can do some short ones on the Level 3 glacier walks with Northstar Trekking in Juneau, though - http://www.northstartrekking.com/level_3.php

We have done the Level 2 with NorthStar and had a good time. Planning to do one out of Seward the next time with Exit Glacier Guides. http://www.exitglacierguides.com/helicopter_ice_climbing_seward_alaska_glacier

Does anyone know of a company that runs tours like this out of Skagway? I have searched and searched but seem to only find trips out of Juneau, where our time is much shorter. Taking a helicopter flight to the glacier would be fine (and I assume the only option...prob no hiking to a glacier in Skagway?), as long as he gets to trek/ice climb on the glacier.

Thanks!

The Laughton glacier is the only one with trekking, but it's a grueling hike, over boulders and the glacier is so so at best. My son went on this tour, in combination with the train. He did go privately which was the preference, but tours are offered.

Otherwise there aren't any fly in glacier trekking out of Skagway. Only recommendation is the level 3 with Northstar and that is a very limited portion of the tour.

Overall, the best option that I know of is to go private on Matanuska, which is loaded with climbing opportunities. Cheap and those without the climbing interest can easily just keep trekking in the vicinity.

The good ice climbs are low-elevation waterfalls, so don't exist in the summer. You can do some short ones on the Level 3 glacier walks with Northstar Trekking in Juneau, though - http://www.northstartrekking.com/level_3.php

I have requested pricing from northstartrekking twice now (for the level 1) and have had no response. Any idea on pricing?

The Laughton glacier is the only one with trekking, but it's a grueling hike, over boulders and the glacier is so so at best. My son went on this tour, in combination with the train. He did go privately which was the preference, but tours are offered.

Otherwise there aren't any fly in glacier trekking out of Skagway. Only recommendation is the level 3 with Northstar and that is a very limited portion of the tour.

Overall, the best option that I know of is to go private on Matanuska, which is loaded with climbing opportunities. Cheap and those without the climbing interest can easily just keep trekking in the vicinity.

Looks like we won't be anywhere Matanuska :(

I have requested pricing from northstartrekking twice now (for the level 1) and have had no response. Any idea on pricing?

At least for NCL, these are listed as shore excursions. They don't list them as 1, 2 & 3 but from reading the descriptions, it looks to me like level 1 is $399

At least for NCL, these are listed as shore excursions. They don't list them as 1, 2 & 3 but from reading the descriptions, it looks to me like level 1 is $399

Level 1 would be the cheapest of the three. This is that pricing? Nothing I would recommend, hardly more than an independent "regular" landing, since that "hour" also includes the prep time.

I never recommend this tour. Significant problem, it isn't enough time- IF your priority is trekking. You will barely get out, before you will be turning back. This tour also is taken by "everybody", including less fit, which means it is only going to move as fast as the slowest person. It is grossly superior to up the level, which does some weeding out. This is a costly tour that, hopefully you want a challenging experience. IF you just want a short trek, then just book the regular landing. They are a very nice option and with independent bookings, they have always been a little more generous in the time, compared to the tightly scheduled ship tours.

I never recommend this tour. Significant problem, it isn't enough time- IF your priority is trekking. You will barely get out, before you will be turning back. This tour also is taken by "everybody", including less fit, which means it is only going to move as fast as the slowest person. It is grossly superior to up the level, which does some weeding out. This is a costly tour that, hopefully you want a challenging experience. IF you just want a short trek, then just book the regular landing. They are a very nice option and with independent bookings, they have always been a little more generous in the time, compared to the tightly scheduled ship tours.

Thank you so much!

While NCL doesn't specify their tours as the Northstar 1, 2 or 3, their descriptions match(and you can see a Northstar helicopter in some of the pics). And yes, that is the lowest priced of the 3! I also tried to contact Northstar without any response. I was wondering if they only operate through the cruise lines since they do have excursions listed on the cruise line web sites and are not responding to emails.

I don't know that Tulsacubsfan was looking for trekking? I was (the OP) for my DH and no, Level 1 would not be for him. I will say, I would enjoy some glacier time if we could fit ut in, while DH went more strenuous and I wonder if they could accomodate us both on the same trip (independtly, I asuume?) but with no response, I can't seem to find out.

While NCL doesn't specify their tours as the Northstar 1, 2 or 3, their descriptions match(and you can see a Northstar helicopter in some of the pics). And yes, that is the lowest priced of the 3! I also tried to contact Northstar without any response. I was wondering if they only operate through the cruise lines since they do have excursions listed on the cruise line web sites and are not responding to emails.

Northstar is the ONLY trekking contractor, and yes they do book direct. Certainly you need to be aware that they may have certain contracts that prevent them from direct booking, if you outright mention you are arriving by cruiseship. However- you DO need to be accurate on your time in port, and go with their recommendation for scheduling.

I don't know that Tulsacubsfan was looking for trekking? I was (the OP) for my DH and no, Level 1 would not be for him. I will say, I would enjoy some glacier time if we could fit ut in, while DH went more strenuous and I wonder if they could accomodate us both on the same trip (independtly, I asuume?) but with no response, I can't seem to find out.

Look at the post, I was responding to the claim they were looking for the level 1 pricing. This reference is only for Northstar.

I would not recommend anything other than the level 3. Time out is too short as it is. Are you now considering a private trek? But they certainly could accommodate you both on a level 3. If you don't want to climb you can watch or do more nearby trekking.

Look at the post, I was responding to the claim they were looking for the level 1 pricing. This reference is only for Northstar.

I would not recommend anything other than the level 3. Time out is too short as it is. Are you now considering a private trek? But they certainly could accommodate you both on a level 3. If you don't want to climb you can watch or do more nearby trekking.

Does Northstar do private treks? This is what I was trying to find out as it sounded more ideal for our combo of abilities. But very good point that I don't have to ice climb even if DH doe I guess. It's not even that I wouldn't want to...just don't know that I have the skills!

Other than the ice climbing, is Level 3 more difficult than Level 1 or 2 or is it just that it gives you more time on the glacier?

Thanks for all this advice...such a foreign world to me!

Here is the pricing I was given by Northstar when I requested information in February, 2013. It took them a few days to get back to me.

Helicopter Glacier Walkout $359:

Approximately 3 1/4 hours including transportation to and from the heliport, safety briefing and gearing up, 30 minutes of helicopter flight time and a 1-hour walk on the glacier.

This tour is a non-strenuous, 1-hour interpretive walk. The guide provides detailed explanations of the glacier environment, the surrounding area and teaches the proper use of the mountaineering equipment provided. Plenty of time for photo opportunities. The amount of walking is moderate, over relatively flat to rolling terrain. Minimum age: 8 years.

Helicopter Glacier Trek $399:

Approximately 4 1/4 hours including transportation to and from the heliport, safety briefing and gearing up, 30 minutes of helicopter flight time and a 2 hour hike on the glacier.

On this two-hour hike, there is an early emphasis on learning the proper use of the mountaineering gear and understanding the glacier features and hazards so that more remote areas of the glacier can be accessed during the trek. Participants will experience physical activity interspersed with detailed explanations of the glacier environment and surrounding area. The amount of walking is extensive on uneven and sometimes steep terrain. Participants should be comfortable walking 2 miles over uneven terrain. Minimum age: 12 years.

Level 3 Extended helicopter Glacier trek $499.00:

Approximately 5 1/4 hours including transportation to and from the heliport, safety briefing and gearing up, 30 minutes of helicopter flight time and a 3 hour hike on the glacier.

This trek is an Alaskan glacier adventure that includes three hours hiking and climbing over the rugged terrain of the glacier. Upon landing, the guide teaches the basics of glacier travel and then leads the group on an exploration of the most pristine and remote areas of the glacier. Opportunities for adventure photos abound as participants are introduced to and practice basic climbing and rope techniques enabling them to safely climb and descend the ice walls. The amount of walking is extensive and often on steep terrain with some technical climbing. Participants should be comfortable hiking 3-4 miles over varied and sometimes steep terrain. Minimum age: 15 years.

Passenger Weight Policy: Passengers weighing 250 lbs. or more will be allocated additional space in the helicopter and will be required to pay a $115.00 surcharge at the time of booking.

Does Northstar do private treks? This is what I was trying to find out as it sounded more ideal for our combo of abilities. But very good point that I don't have to ice climb even if DH doe I guess. It's not even that I wouldn't want to...just don't know that I have the skills!

Other than the ice climbing, is Level 3 more difficult than Level 1 or 2 or is it just that it gives you more time on the glacier?

Thanks for all this advice...such a foreign world to me!

I'm sure you can charter privately- BUT you would be looking at multiple fees compared to the regular costs.

It's all about TIME, Level 3 is 3 hours- even that is short. I've done private guided tours at Matanuska 4 times, at least 4-5 hours each. The time flies by. It also, is not all "moving" for me plenty of pauses, looking around, photographing, talking. :)

Yes, was looking for trekking.

Archived