Gluten Free Options

wrg11

My understanding is they bake all bread on board including a GF variety - rather than rely on postings here. to be absolutely sure on this important question I would put your question to Special needs- details here.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_special_needs

Although the website page focusses on accesibility needs, this is the department we have linked with when dealing with food allergies and on board we have had exemplary attention to detail. I know there have been some recent reports about issues on board, but I would still see these as being isolated as Celebrity and their staff really are aware of food allergy issues, much better than 5* establishments ashore

We took a galley tour on the Eclipse and during the tour, they pointed out an area of the galley that dealt solely with special dietary needs. They deal with Kosher, Halal, GF, and special requests so I am sure that if you pass on your needs to the Maitre'd when you get on board, they will be able to accomodate you.

On our November transatlantic, I requested bread at breakfast on the Lido deck. The bread was kept with all other gluten breads although it was in it's own bag. The brand was Food for Life. The server was just going to remove it from the bag without changing his gloves. There was no place to toast the bread without cross contamination if that is a problem for you. They did warm it but it really needs toasting.

They may serve homemade gf bread in the dining room and they will toast it on request. I do not think it is Food for Life, it is okay, not great. With a plastic bag, you can have them toast it and have it in the morning.

As for other gf items, there really aren't many available. I've heard they have pancakes or waffles but really have not checked it out. You can get gf crepes in Bistro on Five and they are good.

There are so many great products out there, I do wish they would update.

BFF is GF, and on our last cruise together they had Food for Life bagged bread throughout the ship for her (including in the MDR), as well as Glutino pasta available. The maitre d' also has a number of GF dishes made expecially for her, including the turkey parmagiana and her own GF ice cream (the regular variety, I believe, has malt in it). Don't be afraid to ask for a dish to be specially made. If it's doable to make a non-GF dish GF, they'll make the extra effort.

I ate in Blu last year, they made a special bread for dinner with herbs. It was great heated and fresh, less so when they forgot to heat it. All in all I was happy for the effort.

I didn't see GF bread at the OVC, nor did I see or hear about any waffles, pizza dough etc. In fact, I am suprised to read it was an option.

I found the OVC to be amazing as far as staff knowing what was GF and what wasn't. Again, there were no special items but at least I knew what I could eat and there were plently of options.

I ate in Murano one evening and they, so very kindly made me the Goat cheese and chocolate souffle. I was in heaven. Make me one of those each cruise and I will promise not to ask for sandwich bread. lol

There seemed to be limited options for GF dessert in Blu. But, like I said a couple of souffles over 14 days and that is amazing.

We were on Infinity last August and one of our friends needed a gluten free diet...we first contacted special needs dept..we had butlers in our sky suite...they had been alerted, our head maitre'd knew (we did NOT have traditional dining) Our friend ordered her dinners the night before, they brought homemade gluten free bread each lunch and dinner..SUPER ACCOMADITING...Good luck:)

Email Celebrity prior to your Cruise and they handle it very well. The Maitre'd came to our table the first night and asked for my wife who is GF ( Wheat only issue). They would go through the menu for the next night each evening and would prepare or adjust most items to suit her needs.

We got GF Pancakes though Room Service ( wrote a note on comments section of menu you hang on door). In Buffet she asked one of the attendants and they walked her through the whole buffet while a second person was with her on the phone to the Chef. Very impressed!

GF Pizza available too, just takes 10-15 minutes as they need to make it up special.

I require GF and dairy free and will be on the Infinity in April, first time on Celebrity since becoming Celiac.. I actually spoke to someone in Special Services and am reassured that they will be able to handle everything quite well. I've cruised Princess several times with my special diet, with great sucess and after speaking to Celebrity, I feel they will be equal if not better...

I'm still bringing my Udi's bagels and maybe something sweet for our cabin, since desserts will probably not be much else than mixed berries.. and after a few days, that becomes boring.. Good luck to you..

I require GF and dairy free and will be on the Infinity in April, first time on Celebrity since becoming Celiac.. I actually spoke to someone in Special Services and am reassured that they will be able to handle everything quite well. I've cruised Princess several times with my special diet, with great sucess and after speaking to Celebrity, I feel they will be equal if not better...

I'm still bringing my Udi's bagels and maybe something sweet for our cabin, since desserts will probably not be much else than mixed berries.. and after a few days, that becomes boring.. Good luck to you..

If you are able to enjoy dairy, then there are several desserts that you can enjoy. You can request a gf cheesecake.

I do better with goat cheese than cow cheese, maybe that will work for you. Please let us know how it went, this thread has been an eye opener, didn't know there were more options.

How do you folks manage the GF pizza? Do you just ask at the pizza station?

Archived