Barcelona - Plaza Espanya

neil5054

Google is your friend!! The walk is about 9-10min.

I don't know if this link will work.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=placa+espanya,barcelona,spain&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Pla%C3%A7a+d%27Espanya,+Barcelona,+Spain&gl=us&ei=5-SHTOPDHoaesQPUivWcCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ8gEwAA

If not just put:Placa Espanyol,Barcelona,Spain into google

Click on the map Then hit GET DIRECTIONS

put in Poble Espanyol and you will see a map. It says it's 850m which is about 1/2mile or 10 blocks "ish".

I have been to Plaza Espanya but not to Poble Espanol Village, however we plan on going to the Magic Fountain and will take the bus. Even though it is not far, I think it is up hill all the way. During the day, I would suggest bus #61. The #61 bus stops running at 17:00 (5:00 p.m.) We will take #13, 50 or 193 going up to the Fountain. If you would like more detailed information, this website is excellent: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-metro.html

Hope this helps,

Betty

The Magic Fountain is NOT up a hill! It is on flat ground a short walk from Placa Espanya. Poble Espanyol is perhaps on the beginning of the uphill section. It is still not a difficult walk. My friends (mother 50,son11)stayed at the B Hotel last year right by Placa Espanyol and had no trouble with the walk.

Ouch! In expressing my thoughts I certainly did not intend to upset anyone. Of course, since my traveling companion cannot walk without assistance and I cannot walk more than a few steps because of lung problems, plus we both are more than 20 years older than your mother, it just may be a very long walk for us. There is nothing wrong with taking a bus. Please, in the future when you have to tell the world you are right, make sure that you cover all situations. Of course, your response with a little diplomacy would have been well received.

We still plan to take the bus and both our mobility scooters will fit on the bus at the same time.

Betty

Actually, me being upset did not have anything to do with the fact we are handicapped, it was your response to my comment “I think it is up hill all the way”

I honestly believe it is up hill. The incline may be so small that it is not visible or noticeable to the average able bodied person leisurely walking, however I think an able bodied person on a bicycle could notice it. I was still riding my bicycle at 70 and I could tell you where every incline within a two mile radius was. Even on a mobility scooters, the slightest incline is noticeable (rough on batteries).

My suggestion is: Be tolerant, instead of hurrying to correct someone that has made a broad statement, express how you viewed it, there is nothing wrong with different opinions.

I agree with you in that is is not very far (and made a statement to that effect). But considering that we have to stretch our batteries as far as possible and we prefer being off the streets after dark, the bus is the safest option. Even for those walking after dark I would recommend the bus.

I do not know the capabilities or situation for Neil, that is the reason I provided expanded information, which I sincerely hope helped him.

Betty

thank you all for the information. We are coming into Barcelona on a morning flight and leaving on our cruise in the afternoon. I had intended to drop our bags at the port and take the metro to Plaza Espanya stop. So we hoped that the walk wasn't too bad up to Poble Espanol and then back to the metro. I have also wanted to see the German Mies Van der Rohe Pavilion for many years and it's just on the way.

Archived