Would Your Boss Take You on a Cruise?

Has your boss ever taken you and your colleagues on a special outing?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Has your boss ever taken you and your colleagues on a special outing?

• My boss is the best -- we’ve taken an office cruise!
    • We’re pretty much limited to a holiday party at year’s end.
    • We’ve gone on an employee overnight.
    • My boss has taken us all out for dinner.
    • We participate communally in a recreational outing, like mini-golf.
    • We never get anything!
    • Something else, which I'll post below.

Oprah is taking her staffers on an all-expenses-paid cruise (see our news story for more details: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3282). So we want to know: How much does your boss appreciate the efforts of you and your colleagues? Beyond the usual bonuses and raises, have you ever been rewarded with a special outing, or even a cruise? Tell us more below.

We had some bigwigs come by the office this week for a future project we're working on.

We wowed them. We showed them around, impressed them with our knowledge and professionalism, and won the contract.

As a reward, we were treated to fudgecicles and popsicles. I believe I also got the same reward when I was six and did particularly well on my fingerpainting....

Our boss organizes a "teambuilding" exercise once a year; in the past it's been a Habitat for Humanity build, a minor league baseball game, and a mini-golf outing. They're trying right now what to do this year.

My immediate supervisor takes us out for lunch at Christmas.

I would not want to go on a cruise with my immediate supervisor. I *almost* ended up cruising with our boss's parents, though -- we were scheduled for the same week, same cruiseline, but I was on the Serenade and they were on the Radiance!

Don't see how anything Oprah does compares with almost

any other work place ! She can afford it - and it's probably

also a write-off.

Just glad we are not on that cruise because that large

a group will probably compromise others on board using

various public places.

Since the recession & last November's election, the firm I work for has cut everything to the bone. Not that we were ever the recipients of something as lavish as the stuff Oprah does.

Would I go on a cruise if my employer offered it? Sure! Would I enjoy it as much as one I paid for myself? Absolutely not!

Twice my boss has taken us on a cruise. We are a small office and get along well. We hardly spent time together during the day, but had dinner together each night and enjoyed sharing the day's events. The last cruise she paid for our husbands too. Wish you all had a boss like ours, but she is ours!

Oprah is taking her staffers on an all-expenses-paid cruise (see our news story for more details: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3282). So we want to know: How much does your boss appreciate the efforts of you and your colleagues? Beyond the usual bonuses and raises, have you ever been rewarded with a special outing, or even a cruise? Tell us more below.

Rewarded with a cruise.....you're kidding, right:p We barely get a thank you, but it helps pay the bills:)

I'm retired now..but when I was working, I was glad to get a 2 week vacation. never had any sort of bonuses, certainly not a cruise. Had to "fight" with the boss once when our area was being threatened by a hurricane and I needed an extra day off to prepare!

Quite honestly, this is kind of a strange poll question. In this economy I hardly think any boss, unless it's someone the caliber of Oprah or Bill Gates, would take their staff on a cruise. With bailouts, bankruptcies, layoffs and firings, there isn't room in today's economy for this kind of thing.

I resigned my post due to not agreeing with the way the college was being managed. For a treat this year all of the staff are being treated to a lavish summer ball for which they are expected to pay for their tickets and all of their drinks.

I hear the tickets are selling really well (not)

I'm a "boss", but there's NO WAY I could afford to take my "crew" on a cruise....and most of them wouldn't go, anyway....many haven't ever been farther than 50 miles from their home..they'd be totally lost! (Talk about "formal night" problems....!)

Hi, Cindy. We're (meaning our whole company, which is, beyond Cruise Critic, two other web sites -- Independenttraveler.com and Familyvacationcritics.com) definitely working on a "teambuilding" cause for this year.

Too funny re your supervisor and the parental units!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Our boss organizes a "teambuilding" exercise once a year; in the past it's been a Habitat for Humanity build, a minor league baseball game, and a mini-golf outing. They're trying right now what to do this year.

My immediate supervisor takes us out for lunch at Christmas.

I would not want to go on a cruise with my immediate supervisor. I *almost* ended up cruising with our boss's parents, though -- we were scheduled for the same week, same cruiseline, but I was on the Serenade and they were on the Radiance!

As I am solo , yes, I take myself on cruises as a bonus for breathing.

Seriously, in 1990 I was on a Greek Island cruise. I met two couples who are partners in a large insurance agency. They took 25 of their top-selling agents and their families on a seven day cruise. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

The owners felt that they more than benefited by this perk.

Fran

She sounds great! Where have you cruised with her? What ship?

Carolyn

Twice my boss has taken us on a cruise. We are a small office and get along well. We hardly spent time together during the day, but had dinner together each night and enjoyed sharing the day's events. The last cruise she paid for our husbands too. Wish you all had a boss like ours, but she is ours!

I've never had, nor will I ever have a "boss".

Has the manager or supervisor taken everyone on a cruise? NO.

Great Christmas parties, a summer pool party, lunch brought in or taken out for lunch.......

I currently work for a large national company that has never given us anything as a "thank you" or incentive for continued productivity. My immediate supervisor, though, is generous with verbal praise and thanks.

But many years ago I worked for an orthodontist who was very generous. He took our staff of 6 to a nice restaurant for lunch every week and gave good Christmas bonuses. He even gave me free braces and a huge discount off braces for all of my four children. I quit that job after having my second child and 6 months later he took all the staff and their spouses to Hawaii for a week!! I quit too soon! :(

I'm a "boss", but there's NO WAY I could afford to take my "crew" on a cruise....and most of them wouldn't go, anyway....many haven't ever been farther than 50 miles from their home..they'd be totally lost! (Talk about "formal night" problems....!)

Oh, how I can relate. My guys have been a lot more than 50 miles from home-they are all long haul, cross country truck drivers. And I have a few that are in international sales and travel overseas frequently. Plus the office staff. But a CRUISE???-I can see them all in their Harley shirts, greasy jeans, yucking it up. I KNOW how they are with the truck stop waitresses. They would be a disaster with any female bartender or waitress on a cruise ship.

I had to BEG to get them all dressed up a couple years ago. I wanted a FANCY Xmas party-more on the order of martinis than keg beer. I had to enlist all of their wives to get it done. Some odd dress combinations, but the ones with wives and girlfriends at least got into Dockers and a collared shirt.

Almost all of them have passports because we cross the Mexican and Canadian borders regularly. So they are ready to go. But I don't think any cruise line OR any posters on CC would be ready for my group. They would embarrass the Harley cruise!!!!.

My guys get CASH for a job well done. And a new Peterbilt. I could almost BUY a cruise ship for what I spend at Peterbilt.

Nope, I work at a school and the one time a year we are allowed to go out for lunch on minimum day we all buy our own way.

My second job, the boss had us over for a potluck dinner for Christmas.

When we were bosses with our own business, we took our employees and spouses out for a very nice dinner and gave them a bonus at Christmas the first year. We received not a thank you nor a card from any of them, so the second year we didn't repeat the evening out, although we did give them the bonus.

Many years ago I worked for a gentleman who took employees out for cruises on his private yacht, he'd take about 30-40 at a time. Since he had over 400 employees, each of us could only go once. It was lovely, just a day cruise to Catalina, the yacht was very luxurious. He would do about 4 of these trips a year. We all loved this man, he was very generous and kind to all of us, not just the yacht cruise, but in other ways as well. He really let his people know how much he appreciated us and that even the lowest paying job was important and crucial.

Work is work. Life is life. For me, the two really don't intermingle much and I'm just fine with that. I do socialize with some of my co-workers on occasion, but that's our decision not something organized by my employer. I wouldn't be interested in cruising with my boss (unless, of course, they were picking up the tab, which is so not going to happen).

Archived