Why are Spirit Reviews so bad on Trip Advisor

phychoice

All recent reviews seem to say bad food, no at sea activities, pool too small, etc etc

Does anyone have anything positive to say about recent sailings on Spirit - particularly those travelling with children over the age of 5?

Remember that many people that are pleased with their trip don't bother to post a review. However, those that are not pleased want to vent, so they make the effort. Reviews are simply people's opinions, and you need to read them with an open mind and sort through the complaints. Many people complain about many things, many of which might not be considered a problem by you.

I'd suggest reading the reviews here on CC as you are more likely to see both good, and not so good reviews.

All recent reviews seem to say bad food, no at sea activities, pool too small, etc etc QUOTE]

Trip Advisor is excellent for reasing hotel/resort reviews, but when it comes to cruise reviews, I would stay at Cruise Critic..... they seem more detailed with the good and the bad points.

I loved the Spirit! We had rain on every single day on our cruise, but I still had a blast. There was always plenty to do on-board. In fact, there was so much, that we found we were constantly taking our Daily's out and saying, "Hmmm.. I want to go to this, but there's this too... which should we do?"

The crew was terrific... they couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

I found the food was far superior on the Spirit to the Crown or the Dawn. The chef was trained in Austria.. and OMG.. the food was really, really good. The chocolate buffet was the best I had had on any ship.

The ship itself has a special charm, as it was originally an Asian ship. Make sure you find the viewing room so you can see the helm. It's interesting to watch.

The shows were great.. everything was great. You'll have a wonderful time.

Because ANYONE can go on Tripadvisor and say ANYTHING they want. Even if they provide false information, it stays. And unlike here, others cannot comment on what the "reviewer" states.

Plus people are much more likely to put something on Tripadvisor if they have complaints, then if they had a great time.

Example: researched a hotel on Tripadvisor recently. The hotel I was interested in had four recent reviews. Two stated front desk personnel were awful, one thought they were great and one thought they were just ok. Three stated the rooms were tiny and cramped and one found them spacious and comfortable. Now who the heck do I believe??

We read many complaints about Spirit and went last year with a 8 yr old and 4 yr old. Everything was great. Kids had fun in Kids Crew as well as in the rear pool.

Ship is getting a bit worn, but no problems. The biggest problems were from some of the rude guests.

Remember that many people that are pleased with their trip don't bother to post a review. However, those that are not pleased want to vent, so they make the effort. Reviews are simply people's opinions, and you need to read them with an open mind and sort through the complaints. Many people complain about many things, many of which might not be considered a problem by you.

I'd suggest reading the reviews here on CC as you are more likely to see both good, and not so good reviews.

CruisingGram,

I think the above is a little bit of "eating your cake and having it too"

Remember that many people that are pleased with their trip don't bother to post a review.

I just did a very, very quick count of the (1st page of) C/C reviews for the Spirit and the Dawn. 80% (44/50 on Dawn & 36/50 on Spirit) wrote either excellent or outstanding reviews (4 or 5 fish). So it would appear (to me at least), that the large majority of people who post give favorable reviews.

And I would agree with that statement. You will also find this same mix on other cruise review boards . . I know as I read most of the other cruise review boards. . . . . . . I will admit not Trip Advisor though.

Why are Spirit Reviews so bad on Trip Advisor

Could the answer to this question be that perhaps the Spirit is not living up to expectations, at least as of late. I don't know, but just take a look at the figures quoted above. 88% gave favorable reviews to Dawn while only 72% gave favorable reviews to Spirit (a rather wide variant). Conversely 6% (3/50) gave miserable reviews (1 or 2 fish) to Dawn, while 16% (8/50) did so to Spirit . . . . . and this was on Cruise Critic.

Perhaps something is not "right" on Spirit.

Just saying.

All recent reviews seem to say bad food, no at sea activities, pool too small, etc etc

Does anyone have anything positive to say about recent sailings on Spirit - particularly those travelling with children over the age of 5?

take a look at my review on Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=41611

I have 4 sons all over age 5 and they LOVED the ship!!!

Just for balance here, we didn't love the Spirit! Nor did the other 5 families we traveled with. I don't hate the Spirit or NCL, but my Spirit experience was a >>little<< less than I hoped for and less than I have received on a competing line

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=41215

Also for balance. There is a strong instinct by some regulars here dismiss any and all criticism of NCL. The mantra is that all "bad" reviews are the product of chronic complainers, should be discarded and if you had any problems, your expectations were too high. On the flip side, most of the over the top positive reviews are from people who probably just got back, are pining for their lost vacation and are comparing the trip with their work day, also of little value. Someone that I met through here posted a "perfect" review of our cruise right upon arrival. A few days later, while commenting on my review this person admitted that there were many issues. Never made it to their review though.

Personally, I tend to discount the overly sour, overly sweet and any that mention concierge/butler/owners suite/courtyard/platinum Latitude member/etc. (since that will not be my experience on board).

CruisingGram,

I think the above is a little bit of "eating your cake and having it too"

I just did a very, very quick count of the (1st page of) C/C reviews for the Spirit and the Dawn. 80% (44/50 on Dawn & 36/50 on Spirit) wrote either excellent or outstanding reviews (4 or 5 fish). So it would appear (to me at least), that the large majority of people who post give favorable reviews.

And I would agree with that statement. You will also find this same mix on other cruise review boards . . I know as I read most of the other cruise review boards. . . . . . . I will admit not Trip Advisor though.

Could the answer to this question be that perhaps the Spirit is not living up to expectations, at least as of late. I don't know, but just take a look at the figures quoted above. 88% gave favorable reviews to Dawn while only 72% gave favorable reviews to Spirit (a rather wide variant). Conversely 6% (3/50) gave miserable reviews (1 or 2 fish) to Dawn, while 16% (8/50) did so to Spirit . . . . . and this was on Cruise Critic.

Perhaps something is not "right" on Spirit.

Just saying.

Huh? Your percentages left me somewhere in your message.

Dianne

There is a strong instinct by some regulars here dismiss any and all criticism of NCL. The mantra is that all "bad" reviews are the product of chronic complainers, should be discarded and if you had any problems, your expectations were too high.

Personally, I tend to discount the overly sour, overly sweet .

Bingo!!

and

Bingo!!

Have sailed NCL 9 times before and many different ships and found the Spirit to be a very friendly ship, one we'd like to sail again. fFirst sailed her in Nov. '07. Came home from the cruise and booked our next sail on her for Nov. '08.

Have read reviews on the ship, good, bad and ugly. DH & I take all of those reviews with a grain of salt.

Sailing the ship out of NYC could be a different experience than sailing her out of NOLA. We sailed her out of NOLA. Had such a great time we're sailing her again.

Dianne

Dianne,

It is basic math.

50 Dawn + 50 Spirit reviews = 100 reviews. From there, the rest is easy.

Actually, you need to base your math on those sailings out of NY and sailings out of NOLA.:D :p

Dianne

Could be. I don't know.

Conversely could be expectations are lower for the majority.

Just saying . . . .

By the way, as the daughter, wife and mother of US veterans I love your sig.

Always say I've slept in the house of a veteran all of my life and darn proud of it!

Dianne

Or could it be that expectations are too high going in?

Just saying.

Sea Hound:D

Actually, SeaHound, I believe you hit it right on the head. I think most (inexperienced) cruisers go into a cruise with over inflated expectations of what the cruise will be. Some of this is cruise line/TA hype, some is naivete, and certainly some of it is from inflated reviews/comments on cruise boards (for those savvy enough to know about this and other boards).

Years ago these high expectations were probably more realistic, not so today. I think that those who have extremely high expectations are those that are disappointed the most.

By the way, as the daughter, wife and mother of US veterans I love your sig.

Always say I've slept in the house of a veteran all of my life and darn proud of it!

Dianne

I just knew that avatar was military. Believe me when I say this . . . I salute the brat, wife and mother in you. Those 3 jobs are much, much harder than most know or appreciate, and make the others job much easier.

Actually, you need to base your math on those sailings out of NY and sailings out of NOLA.

aggggghhhhhh!. OK 2x - 3z x 47 squared. . . . . . ..:D :D :D

I just knew that avatar was military. Believe me when I say this . . . I salute the brat, wife and mother in you. Those 3 jobs are much, much harder than most know or appreciate, and make the others job much easier.

aggggghhhhhh!. OK 2x - 3z x 47 squared. . . . . . ..:D :D :D

Thanks for the salute. Dad landed in Normandy; DH served during Vietnam and DS rode on top of a Humvee on patrol through the streests of Sadr City in 2004.

I earned my stripes the hard way but wear them proudly every day of my life.:cool:

Dianne

Archived