Best time to see animals in Alaska

Gingee

What is the best time to see the animals (babies also) in Alaska? We are debating between June and July.

In mid July they begin offering bear watching tours to Anan Creek from Ketchikan .. you didn't say if you were cruising/touring or both?? If you are just cruising roundtrip this is probably your best bet for bears although we did see a brown bear in Yukon last month grazing for lunch along the roadside meadow.

For the costly fly in Bear tours out of Ketchikan, I only go during peak time, which is end of July for Anan. At $400pp I don't want the fringe season. I'll be there again in August. I've been to Neets Bay which is also peak in August- beg of Sept. Pack Creek out of Juneau is peak in July. So choose carefully.

We were thinking about going at the end of May since the kids get out mid-May in FL and they have camps in June and I go back to work in July to get ready for the kids to come back first of August.

Are we going to see any animals, birds, whales, anything!?

We were thinking about going at the end of May since the kids get out mid-May in FL and they have camps in June and I go back to work in July to get ready for the kids to come back first of August.

Are we going to see any animals, birds, whales, anything!?

Depends- where you are going?? Whales are close to 100% sightings out of Juneau or Icy Strait. For bears, there was good sightings off the Klondike Highway from Skagway, but this is usually brief and of course chance. Eagles are everywhere. You need to have a good pair of wide angle binoculars with my preference 10x50's. AND a reasonable expectation- they are never like the cruise brochures. :) Denali Park is the best bargain aound for land animals, later in May will get you farther into the park.

Vancover- Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway, Glacier Bay or Haines, College Fjord, Seward/Anchorage/Fairbanks then a 4 day tour through Denali. I assume we will stay in Fairbanks but don't know, McKinley Chalet, Anchorage Hotel

This is tour plan #23 with HAL- I hope it is pretty decent since I am reaching in and trying to pull something together with absolutely no experience or knowledge!

• 2 weeks later...

Budget Queen: Does Neets Bay have glass between you and the bears or is in an outdoor observatory? I am trying to choose between that one and another. Since it says that the Neets Bay excursion is also a salmon hatchery, I am worried that we may be looking out a window at the bears. Thanks! :)

Archived