Retro Cruise Clothing (ideas and recommendations)

Curt Jerome Wild

So here is my first recommendation...

http://www.bettiepageclothing.com/

Really well made, nice fabrics, and good prices.

What I like about these designs are that...

They are good for lots of different sizes and ages

(Younger girls will look cute and vintage, more mature ladies will look sexy and sassy - you know who I'm looking at here!;))

Here's some pics from the actual store...

ff873c83df595b7c20d1912fa45f23cf.jpg

78e9750cd8cd0d18c5e4cf3ba8994f89.jpg

04aeec9da1a6516344fe9acb53b39e6f.jpg

Look at the bow and the back of this one!

:D

when I started cruzing in the 60's, the ladies dressed like that for days at sea, and shore, sans hat n gloves. And really looked like pages from Photoplay (old movie mag, my mom used to live by) just to be around the pool..with turbans, wedgies/espadrilles/sunhats and big shades from great sources and BIG fancy totes (to carry the puppy in), lots of scarves tied around body parts and day wear, then lovely era-type evening attire..men a jacket and tie every night. Of course that has gone by the wayside with continental, white glove table service.. and officers dancing with the solo ladies was required of them :( ..old cruze vessels still live in my heart!

Love them. Where is the store?

The first one up at the top is Bettie Page Clothing.

Website is here:

www.bettiepageclothing.com

It is located in Las Vegas, but you can order anything from the website.

Here are some of the clothes pictured above on actual models...

index.bvi?productid=132

Captain Flare

index.bvi?productid=150

Jenny

index.bvi?productid=151

Kitten

index.bvi?productid=71

Dorothy

index.bvi?productid=15

Ruby

index.bvi?productid=114

Brigit

I'm crazy about these clothes, they are too cute. You know, I have found a couple of very pretty dresses on ebay, Gunne Sax, remember them? Sometimes you can find the pretty princess style, full skirted dresses that are off the shoulder and have very nice floral prints. It's my favorite outfit on my cruise, I wear it with a petticoat (although the petticoat is a bit limp...how do you poof those up anyway?). I love ebay for retro styles!

Jane

Do you have any idea how many new links are in my favorite places today ....

THESE ARE AMAZING. I wonder how fast they ship since I am not going to LV until after the cruise ..

LOL Curt see comment on the "other" thread... ROFL

I'm crazy about these clothes, they are too cute. You know, I have found a couple of very pretty dresses on ebay, Gunne Sax, remember them? Sometimes you can find the pretty princess style, full skirted dresses that are off the shoulder and have very nice floral prints. It's my favorite outfit on my cruise, I wear it with a petticoat (although the petticoat is a bit limp...how do you poof those up anyway?). I love ebay for retro styles!

Jane

The big net-y petty..I was in the poodle skirt era..and this is what i did every Sunday.

Washed it...got a bottle of that "Blue",heavy duty starch, didnt dilute it..just soaked it till all was in the holes, let it drip back in the #2 wash tub..then took it to moms clothes line..spread it alll the way out, pinned it in its circular pattern from all the 5 lines, looked like a melting spider:p , waited for the sun to do its work, then it was round and crispy when dry. Of course we wore many at one time to poof out the full 3-4 yd skirted dresses..I'm gonna Google "Alice Lon"..Lawrence Welks 1st champage lady..his dance partner. Her mom used to make hers, and was fetures in TV Guide in about 1959..to store, push under the bed, as it was toooo big to hang, and that would flatted it..of course if you got wet walking home from school, it got a little weepy and limp...also to find a pseudo crinoline..you might check some thrift stores for bridal crins. I see them all the timeThey might need a tuck here n there for length...lucky

I just found the TV Guide, 1956, page on AL's petticoats...petticoatpond.com.. I remember the pix even..the directions for making are there too!..just 9 yards of netting (the kitchen scrubby kind)oh, wear a nylon slip under it as well.the cheeper ones in those days didnt have the bias tape/ribbon edge..costs were under $10..oh, square dance shops have the also..but $ will be exorbitant, I'm sure..net is .49 a yd or there abouts..48 yds of hemming stuff, a little more, but some of mine were a turned hem edge.. I know, TMI..but that was "MY" time, and loved those dresses/skirts..Have a frabjious Day!..lucky

Archived