Euro pre loaded credit card

Does any one know if we can purchase --put money on--a credit card with Euros or British pounds on the card like we can a Visa card with US dollars? Would be much easier than handling a lot of Euros. I know I can use my US credit card, but don't you get charged a fee for each transaction? Would the total fee for say a $1500 transaction be the same as a bunch of charges up to $1500? On my other trips I have always taken cash, which is not a good idea. I just don't want to take my credit card that is linked to my checking account on shore excursions.

Thank you

Does any one know if we can purchase --put money on--a credit card with Euros or British pounds on the card like we can a Visa card with US dollars? Would be much easier than handling a lot of Euros. I know I can use my US credit card, but don't you get charged a fee for each transaction? Would the total fee for say a $1500 transaction be the same as a bunch of charges up to $1500? On my other trips I have always taken cash, which is not a good idea. I just don't want to take my credit card that is linked to my checking account on shore excursions.

Thank you

Sounds like a debit card.

Prepaid cards are a really good idea to take on holiday. There are several available and they can be loaded with either euros, dollars GB£, etc. I would say the best is probably Travelex Cash Passport as there is no charge for the card, free foreign ATM withdrawals, and free top up using either bank, internet or phone. There are many others but quite a few charge a one off fee for the card and some charge to top up or for ATM withdrawals. Another good thing is that if it is lost or stolen you can only ever lose what is pre loaded so much better than taking your usual credit cards out and about with you.

Another bonus is that you can keep a check on exchange rates and choose the best time to load the card for the most benefit.

These cards are popular also for parents to give their kids for emengency use rather than an applying for an extra card on their own credit card account.

Just google prepaid credit cards for a full selection of options.

I just checked TravelEx which is advertising a "hot rate" for USD!! That rate is really hot!!:eek::eek:

Their rate 1.2543 USD = 1 Euro. The current rate is 1.33 USD = 1 Euro!!

I pay definitely less as transaction fee with my credit card but get the better conversion rate!!

steamboats

PS: And be aware that a prepaid card might not be accepted everywhere!! And you can´t pay for anything where a hold is needed (hotel, rental car...).

Capital one has no international fees on their credit cards, or most of them anyways (ask about this when applying) so we keep a Captial One card as our second card and use it as our primary when traveling out of the USA.

Our regular credit card has a surcharge on foreign transactions of 3% so it costs an extra $30 to charge $1,000 out of the country. It doesn't make a difference if it is one charge for $1,000 or a thousand charges for $1 - fees would be the same.

Personally, I do not like debit cards prepaid or otherwise. I think they are dangerous. If your credit card is lost or stolen then you are protected. If you get any fraudulent charges you can protest them and not pay them. If you are using a prepaid or debit card and have a fraudulent charge your money is gone! I'd much rather be contesting some fraudulent charges and not paying the bill on them than to find my checking account, or prepaid balance, wiped out and empty and have to fight to get my money back.

Also, prepaid or debit cards can be problematic or not accepted at all for certain types of charges. This is especially true for items such where a pre-authorization is common such as hotels, car rentals, on-board cruise accounts and sometimes even restaurants and gas stations.

Many places will not take pre paid cards for any transactions. They demand the use of a card with your name embossed on it, so anything like gift cards or pre paid cards are refused in many, many places outside the US, even in the Caribbean and Europe. You also cannot use pre paid cards for payment on the ship.

Thank you all for the very informative responses ! I will check on TravelEx card and apply for a Capital One credit card. Since neither of them will be linked to my checking or other credit card I will not have to worry about a lost card. I will still take my Discover card for ship account. The other cards will have a low availability limit so I will not worry if they get stolen and I can leave the other in the safe.

ps. STEAMBOAT---I noticed that you have been on several Delta Queen cruises. Wasn't she a fantastic little steamboat! My Dad and I did a cruise on her, what a great time. We also did the Mississippi Queen and American Queen, they were good but not as interesting as Delta Queen.

Thank you

sammie1900,

They just moved it to another sub board thinking it will fit better there.

We´ve been on the DQ 5 times and then had to move to the MQ (3 times) because the DQ wasn´t allowed to carry 3 people in one stateroom (we´re travelling with our DD). We also did the AQ 2 times. We´re steamboat enthusiasts also running a website about US steamboats.

steamboats

Fidelity has a mysmart cash card which is what we use when we travel. They do not charge any fees and allow you to use any atm w/o fees (they will reimburse you if you are charged). It is basically a checking acct w/o checks and you can link it to your investment accts. Now from what I heard, they are now requiring you to have an investment acct with them in order to have this feature.

Fidelity has a mysmart cash card which is what we use when we travel. They do not charge any fees and allow you to use any atm w/o fees (they will reimburse you if you are charged). It is basically a checking acct w/o checks and you can link it to your investment accts. Now from what I heard, they are now requiring you to have an investment acct with them in order to have this feature.

We use our USAA debit card and it reimburses us for ATM fees.

Archived