Bridge tours?

patterson3

I have the same question but about the Summit? I'll be cruising in November and would love to take a tour of the bridge if it's still offered.

We were on Norwegian Jewel last year and they didn't offer one.

They did Eclipse tours a couple of years ago. Best bet is to go to Guest Relations and ask to be put on the list for bridge tours (which they'll say doesn't exist, but they'll ask you to keep quiet about it after putting you on the list!). Also, if you are Elite or something, ask the Captains Club host/hostess as well.

Simon

We went on a bridge tour on Infinity last week. We asked an officer while chatting to him in the martini bar one evening and he made a call to put us on the list. Couple of days later we got an invite which gave a time and place to meet and asked us not to tell anyone we were going. Very interesting.

We went on a bridge tour on Infinity last week. We asked an officer while chatting to him in the martini bar one evening and he made a call to put us on the list. Couple of days later we got an invite which gave a time and place to meet and asked us not to tell anyone we were going. Very interesting.

How many were in your group?

There might be a charge -- Celebrity seems to be offering different kinds of "behind the scenes" tours -- there are free galley tours, and galley tours which have a fee involved (and often special food and drink). There are invitation-only sailaways on the helicopter pad which have no fee, and other sailaways which have fees. There might be both free and fee-charged bridge tours.

If you happen to have a Suite you could also ask your Butler; it's the kind of thing they can arrange.

Having been on a few bridge tours I found them interesting but a bit 'same-y'. Most modern ships have pretty similar equipment and I am not sure I would bother again.

To the poster who asked about charges, a standard bridge tour is free, but Celebrity have been offering special bridge tours where you are on the bridge for sailing out of port. They recognise this could be a revenue stream and make a charge.

Is there a charge for the Bridge Tour?

No fee for a basic bridge tour which is frequently offered to Elite members or suite guests. We have sailed since the Concordia tragedy and it was still being offered. Celebrity and other lines are now offering an "All Access Tour" or something with a similar name, that includes an enhanced Bridge, Backstage, Engine Control Room, and Galley Tour, for what I consider to be an exorbitant price (usually in the $150 pp price range) considering what extras are included. Participation is severely limited (perhaps as few as 15 persons) and many of those who have taken it seem to be quite enthusiastic about their experience.

I've heard that bridge tours/visits have been suspended since the Concordia disater. I've also heard about some new regulations prohibiting unnecesary personnel on the bridge.

That restriction applies to times when the ship is entering or departing a congested shipping channel or harbor, when docking or when departing. It doesn't apply to open seas.

Here is the quote from CruiseCritic news page:

Bridge Access. In a statement, CLIA said that "bridge access will now be limited to those with operational functions during any period of restricted maneuvering or when increased vigilance is required." Spokesman David Peikin described the period for increased vigilance as "any time a vessel is constrained in its ability to freely navigate, such as in a restricted waterway/channel, entering a port, or an area where there is an unusually high volume or compression of vessel traffic." Concordia's captain, Franceso Schettino, was allegedly distracted by bridge guests at the time of the accident. He remains under house arrest on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.

Peikin added that he anticipated that the policy would add restrictions with regard to bridge tours, which are often part of "behind-the-scenes" activities offered to passengers.

They did Eclipse tours a couple of years ago. Best bet is to go to Guest Relations and ask to be put on the list for bridge tours (which they'll say doesn't exist, but they'll ask you to keep quiet about it after putting you on the list!). Also, if you are Elite or something, ask the Captains Club host/hostess as well.

Simon

I've been on two Celebrity cruises and have been invited to the bridge tour both times. The first cruise I asked at Guest Relations, as sddsddean suggested. The next cruise everyone who attended the Connections Party was invited.

I've been on two Celebrity cruises and have been invited to the bridge tour both times. The first cruise I asked at Guest Relations, as sddsddean suggested. The next cruise everyone who attended the Connections Party was invited.

How many was at your party?

We have 63 registered. I think that's a little too many. ;)

That restriction applies to times when the ship is entering or departing a congested shipping channel or harbor, when docking or when departing. It doesn't apply to open seas.

Here is the quote from CruiseCritic news page:

Bridge Access. In a statement, CLIA said that "bridge access will now be limited to those with operational functions during any period of restricted maneuvering or when increased vigilance is required." Spokesman David Peikin described the period for increased vigilance as "any time a vessel is constrained in its ability to freely navigate, such as in a restricted waterway/channel, entering a port, or an area where there is an unusually high volume or compression of vessel traffic." Concordia's captain, Franceso Schettino, was allegedly distracted by bridge guests at the time of the accident. He remains under house arrest on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.

Peikin added that he anticipated that the policy would add restrictions with regard to bridge tours, which are often part of "behind-the-scenes" activities offered to passengers.

I had previously read about a sailaway bridge experience on Celebrity, I was hoping to sign up on my next cruise, but after reading the above, figured that wouldn't be available any more:(

How many was at your party?

We have 63 registered. I think that's a little too many. ;)

They had several tours during our cruise. I seem to recall the maximum per tour is about 12 to 15 people. I know they had one before us, and one after us, so there were at least three that day alone, so they can easily accommodate all of you by inviting you to different tours. Besides, you may have 63 registered, but I would guess that some won't make an appearance to the party for various reasons. For our party group, we had to be there to sign up.

They had several tours during our cruise. I seem to recall the maximum per tour is about 12 to 15 people. I know they had one before us, and one after us, so there were at least three that day alone, so they can easily accommodate all of you by inviting you to different tours. Besides, you may have 63 registered, but I would guess that some won't make an appearance to the party for various reasons. For our party group, we had to be there to sign up.

Thanks,

I was hoping to sign dad up for the sailaway one, but I guess that they wont do that. I will keep my fingers crossed that they invite us- and maybe try to mention to Captain or butler (whoever I see) that dad and mom are celebrating 30th and he would love to see the bridge???

Archived