Rotterdam to Amsterdam Private Group Tours?

We're on the Celebrity Eclipse next July...and they recently changed the port in Amsterdam to Rotterdam.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or information regarding any private tour companies that would pick up from the ship in Rotterdam and offer a tour to Amsterdam, possibly including sites like the Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, Canal Boat cruise, Portuguese Synagogue, etc. (Not sure how much to expect to fit into the day--the ship does not leave until midnight)...

Anyone? Thanks...

I am surprised to read X will sail to Rotterdam. They planned to do this a few years ago, but changed it back to Amsterdam since that still is the place most tourists want to see....

Should they offer a shuttle to Amsterdam - transportation only - I think that will be the best and easiest way. Then you can make your own schedule - incl. how long to stay in one of the museums.

Make online reservations for An Frankhuis and Van Gogh to skip the often long lines.

Apart from that there is excellent traintransportation between Rotterdam Centraal Station and Amsterdam CS. A few trains each hour. check www.ns.nl

In Rotterdam take a tram or metro to CS, in Amsterdam you can take a tram to An Frank, Museumplein etc.

I have read in former postings about this driver, but donot know it myself.

http://www.comforttours.nl/private_guide/

If you are no more than 4 persons, I can highly recommend

http://www.dagtoertaxi.nl/

We used him recently for transfer purposes but did also private shore excursion once we called Amsterdam.

As he has a full taxi license as well:

to bring to places not allowed for the public transport he can just put his TAXI-sign on his roof.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I am from Rotterdam. Use the train (cheapest way too!) from rotterdam central station to Amsterdam central station. It will take you there in about 1/1,5 hours and it goes twice every hour.

When you are in Amsterdam, there is no way you can fit everything in one day.

Most things close around 6 (most shops, museum etc) and in most cases there is a HUGE line to enter the Anne Frank huis, to be very honest it's not that amazing.

The Rijksmuseum is a great option, after that you can do a canel tour which i highly recommend!

Also make sure you visit the red light district, it's really something you have to see!

For shopping, I prefer Rotterdam. More shops and they are really close to eachother in the center.

The city center of Amsterdam is mainly closed for traffic, or it takes a while to get through with a car. Everything is really close together and you can EASILY walk from the museum to the canal tour, to the red light district, anne frank huis etc!!!

Trust me and take the train

For info, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Axzel Thanks for the great info! Do you know about how far it is from the port in Rotterdam to the train station? Our ship arrives in Rotterdam at noon . Can we make a 12:41 departure?

Thanks,

Basil1

I am from Rotterdam. Use the train (cheapest way too!) from rotterdam central station to Amsterdam central station. It will take you there in about 1/1,5 hours and it goes twice every hour.

When you are in Amsterdam, there is no way you can fit everything in one day.

Most things close around 6 (most shops, museum etc) and in most cases there is a HUGE line to enter the Anne Frank huis, to be very honest it's not that amazing.

The Rijksmuseum is a great option, after that you can do a canel tour which i highly recommend!

Also make sure you visit the red light district, it's really something you have to see!

For shopping, I prefer Rotterdam. More shops and they are really close to eachother in the center.

The city center of Amsterdam is mainly closed for traffic, or it takes a while to get through with a car. Everything is really close together and you can EASILY walk from the museum to the canal tour, to the red light district, anne frank huis etc!!!

Trust me and take the train

For info, let me know!

Axzel Thanks for the great info! Do you know about how far it is from the port in Rotterdam to the train station? Our ship arrives in Rotterdam at noon . Can we make a 12:41 departure?

Thanks,

Basil1

From Rotterdam cruise terminal to Rotterdam CS by cab will be around 10 minutes. It will depend what time you can be off the ship.

It this is the end of your cruise it will also depend on possible customs and/or if all people have paid their bills.

Rotterdam isn't a disembarkation port it is our first port after sailing. I noticed that someone posted a photo of the port area on another thread and there is a metro station very nearby to the cruise ship terminal. It says Wilhilmineplien (from memory...probably not spelled correctly) it that the name of the station? In other words that is not Centraal station? Or is that Centraal and Wilhilmineplien is the name of the road. Sorry if that's a stupid question. Thanks for your help!

From Rotterdam cruise terminal to Rotterdam CS by cab will be around 10 minutes. It will depend what time you can be off the ship.

It this is the end of your cruise it will also depend on possible customs and/or if all people have paid their bills.

Here is one private tour guide NOT TO USE. When we contracted him, he was called Senior Holland Travel. Now he goes by Private Holland Tours. We spent a lot of money and it was NOT a good experience. I have mentioned him before on the roll calls. Someone contacted me about him but used him anyway. He just emailed me to say that the man was a nut case and wrote about HIS experience with him last month. It was just AWFUL! The owner/guide's name is Wynand van Diggelin. Stay away from this man!

Rotterdam isn't a disembarkation port it is our first port after sailing. I noticed that someone posted a photo of the port area on another thread and there is a metro station very nearby to the cruise ship terminal. It says Wilhilmineplien (from memory...probably not spelled correctly) it that the name of the station? In other words that is not Centraal station? Or is that Centraal and Wilhilmineplien is the name of the road. Sorry if that's a stupid question. Thanks for your help!

Wilhelminaplein is the place of the cruise-terminal. Just east from there you will find tram and metro-stop to Centraal Station.

Maybe if you use the search function you can find back the photos of Rotterdam.

Otherwise check this map:http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-191501779-map_of_rotterdam-i

Cruise-terminal is nr. 3 (Hotel New York next to the terminal). Centraal Station is just north of nr. 2 which is Westin Hotel.

We're on the Celebrity Eclipse next July...and they recently changed the port in Amsterdam to Rotterdam.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or information regarding any private tour companies that would pick up from the ship in Rotterdam and offer a tour to Amsterdam, possibly including sites like the Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, Canal Boat cruise, Portuguese Synagogue, etc. (Not sure how much to expect to fit into the day--the ship does not leave until midnight)...

Anyone? Thanks...

Hey Bruin Steve... yeah, the train station is probably fastest (which is some times better than cheapest) Amsterdam is VERY easy to wander on your own from the Centraal Station. We did the Anne Frank Huis last year by pre-buying tickets (highly suggest when you are on limited time). I would focus on Anne Frank and the Rijksmuseum (if the museum is a must) because the canal boat thing is just OK and will eat up a lot of your time there. The walking around all the canals and bridges are better, I think. But the train really is the best way between cities. We rented bikes and went through the park there by the museum. It was incredible. Of course you could easily take the canal boat from the Centraal Station TO the Anne Frank Huis the one way and that would give you the canal boat experience. There are several different lines... red blue and green (I believe) Just take the shortest route to the Anne Frank Huis and then walking to the Museum is not that bad of a walk and SO adorable.

Have fun! I wish the Eclipse was doing my itinerary next year. The Solstice was my favorite ship!

Thank you!

Wilhelminaplein is the place of the cruise-terminal. Just east from there you will find tram and metro-stop to Centraal Station.

Maybe if you use the search function you can find back the photos of Rotterdam.

Otherwise check this map:http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-191501779-map_of_rotterdam-i

Cruise-terminal is nr. 3 (Hotel New York next to the terminal). Centraal Station is just north of nr. 2 which is Westin Hotel.

• 1 month later...

Best tours I've ever had with anyone was last year in Holland with Edwin Groeneweg of the Dutch Travel Advisor:

http://www.thedutchtraveladvisor.com/

Not only is he a wealth of knowledge but has a command of English most Americans would be envious of. He can get you into private gardens & homes along the Amsterdam canals and save you lots of time if you're planning on visiting any towns like Delft, Rotterdam.

I was in a small group for a week with him & his delightful wife (they love cruising, too, BTW!!). He'll recommend tours depending on how much time you have. Pls say hello to him from Barbara from last yr's study group.

• 1 month later...
Here is one private tour guide NOT TO USE. When we contracted him, he was called Senior Holland Travel. Now he goes by Private Holland Tours. We spent a lot of money and it was NOT a good experience. I have mentioned him before on the roll calls. Someone contacted me about him but used him anyway. He just emailed me to say that the man was a nut case and wrote about HIS experience with him last month. It was just AWFUL! The owner/guide's name is Wynand van Diggelin. Stay away from this man!

Hello! Unfortunately the taxi service which is recommended has already been booked for our cruise next May. Would you be willing to share your experience with Wynand with me (also if the other person you mentioned would be as well). You can email me at nbinder AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks!

Best tours I've ever had with anyone was last year in Holland with Edwin Groeneweg of the Dutch Travel Advisor:

http://www.thedutchtraveladvisor.com/

Not only is he a wealth of knowledge but has a command of English most Americans would be envious of. He can get you into private gardens & homes along the Amsterdam canals and save you lots of time if you're planning on visiting any towns like Delft' date=' Rotterdam.

I was in a small group for a week with him & his delightful wife (they love cruising, too, BTW!!). He'll recommend tours depending on how much time you have. Pls say hello to him from Barbara from last yr's study group.[/quote']

This is a thanks to you Barbara for recommending Edwin Groeneweg. My husband and I just booked him for an independent tour and are quite happy with his itinerary and price quote. Needless to say I wouldn't have found him without you! I did tell him about your recommendation on Cruise Critic.

This is a thanks to you Barbara for recommending Edwin Groeneweg. My husband and I just booked him for an independent tour and are quite happy with his itinerary and price quote. Needless to say I wouldn't have found him without you! I did tell him about your recommendation on Cruise Critic.

Where are you going with Edwin?

I think you'll really enjoy his services. He is punctual to the minute, will keep you going at a good pace (unless you request slower!!) and will maximize the time you have. He is genuine & caring, has a good sense of humor and is a wealth of knowledge. Works with private bookings as well as small and large groups.

On one of our bus stops Edwin and his wife Miranda bought some gouda for everyone to try. They're just those kind of people.

Since they like to cruise, I told them about CC. I also mentioned the ports of call board. I wonder if Edwin's ever signed on.

Thanks so much for giving him my regards. I've traveled in many parts of the world and met a lot of guides and Edwin is top notch in my book.:D

Archived