Possible To Drive To Sequoia National Park After Cruise

firecapt25

Our cruise on the Norwegian Star docks at 0700 on 10/01/2011 is it possible to get to LAX and rent a car and drive to Sequoia National park on that Saturday and get there before dark. Planning on making reservations for there for 2 nights and Yosemite for 2 nights. Also after Yosemite do we need to drive back to LAX to drop rental or drop off either in San Franciso or a closer city.

Should be doable. It's around 4 hours from LAX (notwithstanding traffic) and sunset's around 6:30 PM.

You might have a look at picking up a rental car closer to the dock; that way you could shoot straight up I-110 to I-5 and skirt the (usually terrible) traffic on I-405 around LAX. It would probably save the better part of an hour.

Yes, it is possible to drive to Sequoia before dark.

You can drop cars at different cities but you need to check prices to see what the charges are and then compare them.

There are often "drop off " charges if dropping at a different city.

Yosemite lodging starts booking one year in advance so I'd check that out very soon! You can make a res with just a credit card to hold it and if you have to change there will be no charge.

Where is home?? Different cities will have different amounts of flights from which to choose depending on where you want to fly.

Would be flying back to Atlanta, and renting the car closer to dock could we use super shuttle to get us back to LAX. And yes big different like renting in LA and returning to SF 150.00 to 200.00 difference. Always wanted to see these parks so looking forward to it .

Other airports to check out would be Sacramento, San Jose and Oakland. Some rental companies have drop fees and others just charge more for a one way.

Jen in SoCal

Our cruise on the Norwegian Star docks at 0700 on 10/01/2011 is it possible to get to LAX and rent a car and drive to Sequoia National park on that Saturday and get there before dark. Planning on making reservations for there for 2 nights and Yosemite for 2 nights. Also after Yosemite do we need to drive back to LAX to drop rental or drop off either in San Franciso or a closer city.

Should be doable. It's around 4 hours from LAX (notwithstanding traffic) and sunset's around 6:30 PM.

You might have a look at picking up a rental car closer to the dock; that way you could shoot straight up I-110 to I-5 and skirt the (usually terrible) traffic on I-405 around LAX. It would probably save the better part of an hour.

4 hours is very ambitious! Even in the best of traffic condition, we've never made it to Sequoia in less than 5 hours from West LA. Usually it is closer to 6 hours with rest and all. Also depends on WHERE in the park you are going. I don't recommend the south entrance (Ash Mountain entrance) via the 198 because there are endless hairpin turns where you can't go faster than 10-15mph for almost a hour. It is horrible for those prone to car sickness. And even though it looks shorter distance wise, it takes longer due to the narrow windy road. Better off to go further north and enter at the Big Stump entrance via the 180. http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/directions.htm Kings Canyon/Sequoia is really just one park. One entrance fee for both areas.

As for your car return after Yosemite, the closest regional airport is Fresno. It's ~ 2.5 hours from the Valley. http://www.fresno.gov/DiscoverFresno/Airports/default.htm Sacramento is slightly closer to the Bay Area. The Bay Area airports - SFO, Oakland, San Jose - are all ~ 4 hours from the Valley. Coming back from Yosemite to LAX is about 6-8 hours depending on traffic.

Are you camping or staying at lodges? Let me know if you want more recommendations inside the parks. And are you sure you want to see both Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon on this visit? What specifically do you want to see at Sequoia/Kings Canyon? For a first visit with the amount of time you have, you can easily spend all that time at Yosemite. There is a big grove of Sequoia trees at the south side of Yosemite. The valley at Kings Canyon looks like Yosemite Valley without Half Dome and waterfalls. I would suggest you spend more time at Yosemite rather than driving between the parks. And there is a lot of driving.

Chinita must drive slow...

It's about 3-3:30 to Visalia, depending on traffic and another 45-60 minutes from Visalia into the park... Rounding off at about 4 hours is a good estimation...

Yosemite to LAX? I think I've driven from the West Side up to Yosemite several dozen times in my life...Six hours has always been my standard...two hours to Bakersfield or thereabouts, two more from there to Fresno, two hours into the park...

My older daughter is currently employed at UC Merced...She drives home from there about every third weekend and it always takes her around 4 and a half hours (and Merced is about an hour NORTH of Fresno and the second entrance into the park...We went to visit her once when we decided to go into Yosemite for a day trip...under two hours each way via 140...

As far as reservations in Yosemite, it is often booked way in advance...but, keep trying...If not, there are a few hotels just outside the park along 140...though it is so much nicer to wake up right IN Yosemite Valley--whether camping or staying in a hotel...

I have stayed just about every place in the Valley--from the Ahwanee to Yosemite Lodge to Camp Curry cabins to the Housekeeping Tents to many times just camping out in a tent...I would go with ANY of them any time...obviously, the experiences are different...for sheer comfort and convenience...and value...I prefer Yosemite Lodge...

Have fun...

Well decided to rent car take our time after cruise so we want check in til Sunday at Wuksachi Lodge for 2 days and then to Yosemite Falls Lodge for 3 nights. Now only thing is if we want to drive back to LAX or drop the car off at SFO or Fresino on Saturday. Are there any good hiking trails at any of the parks you would recommend, we are both 50 but are in pretty good shape. Or is there something that we need to really view while we are there. Because don't know when we will ever get back there.

It's about 3-3:30 to Visalia, depending on traffic and another 45-60 minutes from Visalia into the park... Rounding off at about 4 hours is a good estimation...

Yosemite to LAX? I think I've driven from the West Side up to Yosemite several dozen times in my life...Six hours has always been my standard...two hours to Bakersfield or thereabouts, two more from there to Fresno, two hours into the park...

My older daughter is currently employed at UC Merced...She drives home from there about every third weekend and it always takes her around 4 and a half hours (and Merced is about an hour NORTH of Fresno and the second entrance into the park...We went to visit her once when we decided to go into Yosemite for a day trip...under two hours each way via 140...

As far as reservations in Yosemite, it is often booked way in advance...but, keep trying...If not, there are a few hotels just outside the park along 140...though it is so much nicer to wake up right IN Yosemite Valley--whether camping or staying in a hotel...

I have stayed just about every place in the Valley--from the Ahwanee to Yosemite Lodge to Camp Curry cabins to the Housekeeping Tents to many times just camping out in a tent...I would go with ANY of them any time...obviously, the experiences are different...for sheer comfort and convenience...and value...I prefer Yosemite Lodge...

Have fun...

Yes have found rooms gone in a few hours but we are now book at Yosemite Lodge , wanted to do earlier in week but rooms were gone . So Sequoia will be Sunday and Monday. On a late flight on Saturday if we go back to LAX if we take flight after 5 pm will we be fine. Also from my other post is there something that is a must see in Sequioa or in Yosemite.

It's definitely doable and I see you will be in port on 10/1/2011 so the time change will not have kicked in yet so you'll have daylight until at least 7:30p. I've done this trip back and forth in a day with a stop at Harris Ranch for dinner.

Well decided to rent car take our time after cruise so we want check in til Sunday at Wuksachi Lodge for 2 days and then to Yosemite Falls Lodge for 3 nights. Now only thing is if we want to drive back to LAX or drop the car off at SFO or Fresino on Saturday. Are there any good hiking trails at any of the parks you would recommend, we are both 50 but are in pretty good shape. Or is there something that we need to really view while we are there. Because don't know when we will ever get back there.

I've only been to Sequoia a few times and it's been a few years, so I'll let others answer for that...

As to Yosemite, it's a hiking wonderworld...

From the Valley, you've got all sorts of options...from short hikes to REALLY LONG AND STRENUOUS--if you are in really good shape...

For nice, short and easy, first...and this one's a must, take the short hike to the bottom of Bridalveil Falls...I am not sure how full the falls will be in October (the prime time is Spring when the snow is melting up top) but, the falls typically blow out over the path, so you are really walking right into the waterfall...It's a short, few minute walk from the parking area...

Another short trail is from the Lodge area to the base of Yosemite Falls...

From Mirror Lake, on the eastern end of the valley, there is a trail that heads up in the direction of Tuolemne Meadows...It's a long way up there (as a younger man, I backpacked it down the other way), but it's easy walking and pleasant surroundings and you can go as far as you want and back...

Okay, now the motherlode of all trails: The hike to the top of Half Dome and its variations...If you get up really early in the morning, are really brave and are in outstanding shape, you can hike all the way to the top of Half Dome...I did this when I was in college--no way I could do it now that I'm in my 50s and out of shape--a lot of it is almost like rock climbing--scary, difficult and dangerous...but incredible to get there...

But, the variations are the stops on the way...The same trail system can take you to the bottom of Vernal Falls, the Top of Vernal Falls and on to Nevada Falls...I would recommend trying to hit, at least, the top of Vernal and back...From the bottom to the top is called the "Mist Trail" since you literally climb stairs along the cliff behind the mist of the falls pouring over the cliff behind you...

Aside from these, there are many pleasant and easy walks around the Valley...

Also a trip through the Wawona Grove of Sequoias down in the southern end of the park is well worth the time...You can walk through these...or take the tram tour...

Have fun...

You always have good information, yes when we pick up the car Saturday we will head onto Sequoia at least spend night in Three Rivers. Is there places to eat in the park at Yosemite or will we have to leave the park to eat. And finally if we leave Yosemite at 6 or 7 in the morning on that Saturday could we be at LAX by 4 pm

Oh...I just wanted to share my greatest memory of hiking the Mist Trail...

It was May 25-27, 1980...

My then girlfriend, my cousin and his wife all decided to camping in Yosemite for the weekend...

We left LA around midnight on the 24th...In those days, campgropund spaces were all first come, first, served and each campground had a little office which opened around 8 am...so, leaving LA that early, we were there in line (actually, I was...everyone else was sleeping in the car) before 6 am...

Around us in line were people from all over...I remember talking to people from Ohio and Michigan...

Suddenly, the earth started shaking...I immediately recognize what is happening and announced "We're having a small earthquake"...the guy from Ohio starts panicking..."What should we do?"...I grabbed the guy by the shoulder and said "stay right where you are"...You could actually see visible waves moving across the parking lot and the cars were bobbing up and down...

When it all subsided (really just a few seconds later), Michigan guy asks me "Shouldn't we have done something, gone somewhere?"

I tell him "We are standing in a parking lot...nowhere to fall and nothing to fall on us...no safer place to be"...

Anyway, it turned out that was only the start, over a two to thre day period, there were FOUR earthquakes all OVER 6 on the Richter Scale epicentered near Mammoth, just South of Yosemite...

But the next real excitement was when the second one hit, later that day...

We had gotten our campground slot, pitched our tents and set out to do the hike to the top of Vernal...

When we got near the bottom of Vernal Falls, I decided to wander out into the stream to get some really good photos of the falls...this meant carefully stepping over a series of rocks...

So, there I am balancing on a rock at the bottom of the falls when, suddenly...6 point plus earthquake number two!!!

Someone yells to turn around...I somehow balance and pivot and take a photo of large rocks and debris falling off a cliff further down the canyon behind us...simply incredible timing...

Anyway, with that episode over, we continue on to the top of Vernal...where we swim in the cold water of the pool at the top of the falls (not too close to the edge) and eat our lunches that we packed and brought along...

Then we start heading back down the trail to the Valley...

When we get to the bottom of the Falls, we are greeted by a Ranger--who informs us that the trail is closed...and he will lead us back to the Valley via a different route...

When we get back to the Valley, we learn that two people were KILLED on that trail that day--hit by a falling boulder--probably the one in my photo...

The Park Service announces that ALL trails to the high country are closed until further notice due to the large number of aftershocks being experienced and the danger of rockslides, etc.

So, that turned out to be the only hike we took that weekend...

The rest of the weekend, the park seemed to be emptying out--far quieter than usual--which was fine with us...

We had an enjoyable rest of the weekend just camping out, doing the campfire thing, enjoying the sites IN the Valley, etc.

Of course, my girlfriend that I took along on that trip, I proposed to about four months later and we were married in July of the following year and this coming July Beth and I will celebrate our 30th Anniversary...and, of course, Beth, nowadays, never wants to go camping--prefering cruise ships instead...

:p Guilty as charged. It is possible that my memory is tainted by my recent trip where we had issues with our new bike rack and hitting massive LA traffic on the way out.

As for "must see" in the park, Steve already hit on many of the highlights from the Valley. I always take first timers on the Mist Trail, though I am not sure how "misty" it will be when you go. When I was there Sept 2009, Yosemite Falls was completely dry, but Vernal and Nevada Falls still had a little flow. This year, Yosemite Falls dried up by Sept too but flowed again after a storm. If you are at all interested in going up to Half Dome, look into the reservation/permit schedule. They started limiting access for the first time this year. Most people start the hike before dawn and it is an all day affair.

The view from Glacier Point is awe inspiring. There are trails from Glacier Point too. You can go all the way down to the Valley, though not recommended if you have bad knees. Some people take a bus up in the morning and hike down to the Valley. Most people go a little ways down to look at the views. We had a family friend who was a ranger stationed near Glacier Point when we were growing up and I didn't appreciate the privilege of those stays at the ranger station until later in life.

On your drive up to Glacier Point, be sure to stop by the Tunnel View turnout to get the "classic" Yosemite Valley picture.

Will get back to you regarding Sequoia when I have more time.

You always have good information, yes when we pick up the car Saturday we will head onto Sequoia at least spend night in Three Rivers. Is there places to eat in the park at Yosemite or will we have to leave the park to eat. And finally if we leave Yosemite at 6 or 7 in the morning on that Saturday could we be at LAX by 4 pm

There are several restaurants in Yosemite Valley...everything from the Degnan's Deli sandwich counter in the Village (where we had our lunch this last visit) to the Grand Dining Room at the Awhanee:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Dining_AhwahneeDiningRoom.aspx

http://www.yosemitepark.com/dining_yosemitevillagearea.aspx

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Dining_MountainRoom.aspx

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Dining_CurryVillageArea.aspx

All are run by the same park concessionaire, so don't expect anything outstanding...but, at least you won't go hungry...

Also, there is a supermarket in the Village that carries just about anything you may want...so, if you wanted to put together a sack lunch to take with you on a hike or get munchies to keep in your room, no problem...

Oh...I just wanted to share my greatest memory of hiking the Mist Trail...

That is some tale Steve!! I don't have anything that exciting in the parks. But I was in SF during the '89 Loma Prieta quake. Getting ready to watch the Bay Bridge World Series between A's and Giants one minute, hiding under the dining table while everything shook the next.

Have you ever had the pleasure of sliding down the granite in the river a la waterslide style? We used to go on the granite and pools near Illilouette Falls in the 80's. Now they don't let people do that anymore.

firecapt25 - still firefighting?

I've included some pictures from my recent trip to show:

- View from Glacier Point

- View from Tunnel View turnout (it's a turnout just downhill from a tunnel on the road from the Valley to Glacier Point. Not too hard to miss and there are signs I think.)

- trail sign from Glacier Point. Illilouette Falls is a good turn around point for a short hike

And you won't starve in Yosemite Valley. It's a mini city there.

Consider renting a bike one day. It's a great way to get some exercise and see many sights in the Valley without going on the shuttle. There are dedicated bike lanes so you don't have to worry about cars/buses. We usually take our bikes when we camp in the Valley and never ride the shuttle or drive our cars.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_Biking_BikeRentals.aspx

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_Biking_BikeRulesandTrailMap.aspx

1235125749_GlacierPoint.jpg.61ffaf1aa81065ce7c1191607f0afde3.jpg

1732093012_Tunnelview.jpg.c083862c189c40ad709208da33ac37bf.jpg

1374244143_trailsign.jpg.a7299b18aeb48bffc2ac6176728333dd.jpg

...yes when we pick up the car Saturday we will head onto Sequoia at least spend night in Three Rivers

I am glad to hear you will spend the night in Three Rivers. Although I was accused of being a slowpoke with my estimated driving time, the drive once off the main interstate is variable and some portions are only 2 lane roads. You can get stuck behind a truck or RV and seriously lose time. Just be prepared for the infamous hairpin turns between Buckeye Flats and the Giant Forest as you are entering the South Entrance. Should be okay if you are starting in the morning from Three Rivers. There are also lots of road construction in the park so be prepared for those as well by checking the park website closer to your trip. (Same can be said about Yosemite)

You are coming in the Fall so check out this past season's fall info here:

http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=380387

We do have fall leaves color here and you may be lucky to see some as you drive through the Sierras.

For the highlights in Sequoia/Kings Canyon, the trees are obviously the big attractions. The Giant Forest area with the drive through "Auto Log" is on your way to the Lodge from Three Rivers. (see the map on the last page in the above link) The Grant Grove area is the other tree area with a nice nature trail. Some people like Crystal Cave though I have never been there as I am not a big cave fan.

If you have time, drive to the end of the road at the Cedar Grove area. It's about an hour each way. The valley at the end is like a smaller version of Yosemite Valley and the drive takes you over dramatic vistas. There are some nice trails along the river and to the Roaring Rivers Falls. If you are lucky, you might even meet backpackers who are emerging from the wilderness after their long trek on the famous John Muir trail.

On my last visit, we hiked out to Muir Grove from the Dorst Creek campground. We saw 2 other people, but 3 black bears! No worry, we kept our distance and felt relatively safe. The grove was beautiful and isolated. Consider it if this is your cup of tea.

http://books.google.com/books?id=x9w0TEnnSv4C&pg=PA190&dq=muir+grove+trail&hl=en&ei=DkXzTJCIMIv4swPM3Ji8Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=muir%20grove%20trail&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=mo7ZjkZ_abEC&pg=PA107&dq=muir+grove+trail&hl=en&ei=okfzTNiwG4OcsQPRlvzvCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=muir%20grove%20trail&f=false

The only car rental in San Pedro is Enterprise. You need to call to make arrangements to drop off at a location different than pick up.

Enterprise normally allows one-way rentals only from their airport locations (and their Web site allows no one-way rentals from non-airport locations), but the Web site says you can ask about other arrangements. Renting at the airport is usually, but not always, more expensive than renting off-airport, but some off-airport locations of various companies have restrictions on one-way rentals (and, usually, smaller choice of cars available). If you take a shuttle that goes to LAX, you could end up having to take a taxi if you use an off-airport location (even the airport locations are off-airport, but there are free shuttle busses from the airport if you can't get the shuttle to take you there directly).

You didn't state whether this was a weekday (i.e. rush hour) or not, but I looked up a 2011 calendar online and found it's a Saturday. You should be able to make it, if you get off the cruise ship and to LAX fairly quickly and hit the road soon after that, and don't make long stops for lunch, etc. Google Maps estimates 4 hrs., 18 mins. from LAX to Giant Forest. You'll be on interstates much of the way. The highway from Three Rivers is also good, though with lots of sharp turns as you head up the mountain.

I hope you're staying more than one day, to make the long drive worthwhile. I certainly rate Yosemite far higher than Sequoiq/Kings Canyon, but it is further.

Yes Three Rivers on Saturday and then Wuksachi Lodage for 2 nights for Sunday and Monday and then onto Yosemite Falls Lodge for 3 nights. And I want to thank everyone for the great information this will be an exciting trip seeing two national parks that I wanted to see ever since I was a kid.

Yes after first of year start working on the rent a car and where we want to fly out of after Yosemite Leading toward Fresno since it will be closer than LAX.

And Chinita415 I am still fighting fires for 2 more years then I'll hang up my helmet. Thanks for info on food was worried about there would be nothing around.

Archived