Nieuw Amsterdam - What's it like for a young, single, gay guy?

goodclicks

I'm a confirmed cruiser, however a friend (mid 20s), who has yet to gain his sea-legs, is shortly going his first cruise. He's booked on Nieuw Amsterdam on the 16th of December and he will be staying on for the week-long cruise on the 23rd. I have a good idea of what to expect from my lines and can offer him plenty of general advice, but i gather that Holland America is perhaps geared more towards an older crowd. Is that true? Where are good hang-outs for him? Are there Friends of Dorothy gatherings? Any other advice for a newbie on HAL?

My Partner and I were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last December for 7 night western Caribbean. There were more battery operated chairs and oxygen bottles than you could imagine! But...the FOD gatherings were well attended, albeit small, and we met some very nice people. One up-side to a much older crowd...we never had to fight for chairs around the pool or a treadmill in the gym!!

Thanks. That's pretty much what I told him. Glad to hear they had FOD... I guess he'll be the centre of attention there then!

Any tips on bars to hang out in? Or best time to hit the gym/saunas to catch the dancers? haha. Anything like that!

Archived